Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyRS
Never said it was quick!

I did 0-96 km/h in 3 years.
What happened to the thin guy in the pics Rossco?
Old 29-03-2009, 06:02 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally
What happened to the thin guy in the pics Rossco?
1 x Narcissistic x-wife who psychologicaly beat me to a pulp.

Divorce can be a wonderful thing!!!

And hey Doug my cruiser wasn't that slow!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 29-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Sir AntiLag

Denver at standard level

A high KM taxi is not as bad as it sounds on a mechanical view point..

asides from stuff likes the brakes and suspension probably needing an update or new bushes to bring them up to spec, if the thing has been serviced regurally, which is likely, and it ran 24/7 all the time, in a taxi with 1 million km, you will find LESS wear in the motor and other components than a daily road car with a mere 100 thou on the clock, the main reason for this being that as the taxi si running all the time, the oils and other fluids always remain in the optimum tempratures, you'll also find the car has been started less times than the daily which is also another large wear point in cars..

asides from the consumables, and the likely hood your ex taxi has had more spew in it than the newborn ward at the local hospital, you'll find the condition of one to be much better than the average falcon out of a paper...
Old 29-03-2009, 12:28 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

vxberlina at standard level

I think the others are right. You are better off chasing a local AU for a few hundred bucks more.

There is a BA taxi in the quokka atm, 618,000km $4950, yet i saw a 2002 in a dealers the other day for $6000

That only had 223,000km, and im sure they would negotiate.

AU falcons are everywhere, i wouldnt pay more than $3000 for an immaculate one.

wrc blue, STI mods........
Old 29-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

rexrxr at standard level
Default taxi = thumbs down

na man dont do it!!! headaches, accident damaged with usually terrible repair jobs done on em (coz they need to be on the road all the time and pressures on the poor repair guys to get repairs done stupidly fast) most of the time theyre neglected untill something goes wrong but untill then will keep driving as long as it still drives, my best mates a cabbie and leases a cab and trust me i dont know how they keep going sometimes, coz no one gives a toss bout the cab as long as it makes money while it can and no one cares until somthing literraly breaks off haha. half a million ks speaks for itself YOU DONT WANT IT!
Old 31-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX
have been in several new Ford cabs where the fuel guage is also not working.

petrol guage not working cause they are on gas..
Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 PM
STI Master

reflexwrx at standard level

Quote:
Are you guys serious singing the praises of the 2H and 3B Toyota diesels?

I rate them the same as Holden 253's, hook enough chain on them and they'll hold a decent boat from drifting but don't try driving a car powered by one unless you have a few days food and drink on board. (and that's just to get you to Geraldton!)
The 2H Is rock solid, Sure it'a a little under powered but they don't stop. I do wish I had a turbo for when I hit the dunes but it still goes takes me through extremely rough terrain. The Landcruisers have a really good reputation off the back of the old FJ's & HJ's. Often you see the old Cruisers with barely a shell left on them as they have rusted away yet they the engine is still going strong. That's usually the only thing that takes them off the road. Toyota's are simply good cars, I have owned 4 (Camry, Corolla, 2x Cruisers) and all have been incredibly reliable and well built. My HJ47 sits comfortably at 100km per hour towing a camper trailor on the highway. Thats as fast as I need to go. Pemberton easter weekend, here i come.. Woo Hooo!
[email]brendanstiling@iinet.net.au[/email]
[url]www.brendantiling.yodel.com.au/[/url]

Last edited by reflexwrx; 01-04-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexwrx
My HJ47 sits comfortably at 100km per hour towing a camper trailor on the highway. Thats as fast as I need to go. Pemberton easter weekend, here i come..
Yep, I think I got stuck behind you last long weekend. 110 in the overtaking lanes 55 up the hills?

True, most Toyota engines never give up, but that doesn't mean they're not nuggets. Some of the stinkers I can think of, 2H, 3B, 18R, 1X, all the F engines especially the 3FE, 4A, 1S...etc.
On the other hand 2TB, 3TB, 2TG, 4AG, 18RG, all the JZ's, 4AGZE, 3SGTE, 3SG, 1UZFE, 1HZ, 1HDT and FT are all very good engines, pity Toyota softcock out and never imported any of the performace versions.
Edit; how could I forget the mighty K series engines. I learned the difference between oversteer and understeer behind a tortured 3K @ approx 8000r/min.

Last edited by dtrally; 02-04-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:32 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

vivioman at standard level

Thanks everyone for their opinions, I did not buy the ex-taxi in the end.

Cheers
Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 AM
STI Master

reflexwrx at standard level

Quote:
Yep, I think I got stuck behind you last long weekend. 110 in the overtaking lanes 55 up the hills?

True, most Toyota engines never give up, but that doesn't mean they're not nuggets. Some of the stinkers I can think of, 2H, 3B, 18R, 1X, all the F engines especially the 3FE, 4A, 1S...etc.
On the other hand 2TB, 3TB, 2TG, 4AG, 18RG, all the JZ's, 4AGZE, 3SGTE, 3SG, 1UZFE, 1HZ, 1HDT and FT are all very good engines, pity Toyota softcock out and never imported any of the performace versions.
Edit; how could I forget the mighty K series engines. I learned the difference between oversteer and understeer behind a tortured 3K @ approx 8000r/min.

HAHA, Dam straight 55kms p/h up hills. The hills big hills towing definitely slow me down when towing but overall it's not too bad. When 4x4ing a simple engine means easy to work on. You can fix if need be. Don't need to be a auto electrician to get the car running if anything goes wrong.

I have been 4x4ing for many years and have seen a lot vehicles put through their paces. Guys spending big on 50-60k rigs and having major difficulties when offroad. The reliability and simplicity of the old Cruisers is why they are attractive. They were manufactured purely for practicality. Slow and steady does the trick when touring remote Australia. Reliability Essential!

As for the engines mentioned above, i'm not terribly familiar with them. I recognise the JZ's, and the 4AGZE. Both great, My cousin has a Soarer with the 1JZ engine. The car feels very solid, built heavy and tough. WRX will kill it though. Corners like a pig.
[email]brendanstiling@iinet.net.au[/email]
[url]www.brendantiling.yodel.com.au/[/url]

Last edited by reflexwrx; 02-04-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Tags
taxi