Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-07-2009, 05:27 PM
STI Master

Cooper89 at standard level

What phizzle said. Buy a suzuki sierra and thrash its hole.

My 2c
Old 23-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete gopal View Post
the car will be used for city driving 90%-95% of the time in fine soccer mum / dad style.
Oh behalf of everyone here, die.

Old 23-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by werticusness View Post
Oh behalf of everyone here, die.

Oh, your one of those people...

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt
Old 23-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

haha bloody city driving fwds! 100 series have been known to have shit drive line and gear boxes. Older GQ patrols have also had problems with their motors. Im not the fwd expert, and it could be heresay but this is what ive heard from alot of fwd experienced mates.
Old 23-07-2009, 09:38 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

corbzrex at standard level
Default 4by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrico View Post
haha bloody city driving fwds! 100 series have been known to have shit drive line and gear boxes. Older GQ patrols have also had problems with their motors. Im not the fwd expert, and it could be heresay but this is what ive heard from alot of fwd experienced mates.
Couldn't have said it better Eric. Pete, Keep in mind Kym has both 2" spring and shocks aswell as 2" body lift.

The 2" shock and springs can do for the Prado. But you cannot do the body lift. It is highly illeagal. Something todo with throwing your airbags out of wack. As soon as the insurance company's find out you have this. They wil not insure you. Kym can get away with this becasue of the age of his car. AFAIK

Im not a 100% on this but i think the biggest lift you can go on the Prado is 2" becasue of the Diff at the from not been a solid axle. They did the same with most Land Cruisers aswell.

As for modding you 4BY. I find k&n to be a little on the expensive side. THe boys down at Coastal 4x4 are really good. COUCHY that used to be on here got a 3" lift from there awsome price and great work too.

EDIT: Kym just noticed your is 2002. Did you tell the Insurance company about you body lift?? Any problems??

[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/corbphotography/[/url]

Dirty GUIII Patrol
Old 23-07-2009, 10:40 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Golding at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Golding

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete gopal View Post

- firstly the car is a constant 4wd with LSD, would i need to lock front/rear diffs at all? if so how much $ will it cost me for the kit? any other cars that come with diff locks as standard?
Toyota LSD's arent anything special, they usually last 100,000 kms if your lucky

Youll only need Diff Locks if you intend to get into some pretty heavy 4wding, in which case youd need a lift too.

If you go for an IFS car, you can only lift them about 2" before it starts getting VERY expensive

I had an old 80 Series Landcruiser Sahara which came with Factory Electric Diff Locks, dont know of any other cars that come with them.

Best Diff Locks are Air Lockers from ARB because you can turn them Off and On when you want, but they are expensive.

head over to www.perth4x4.net with any other questions.
Old 23-07-2009, 10:47 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Golding at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Golding

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbzrex View Post

Im not a 100% on this but i think the biggest lift you can go on the Prado is 2" becasue of the Diff at the from not been a solid axle. They did the same with most Land Cruisers aswell.
Yeah, the Prado has IFS, so to lift it you need to wind up the Torsion Bars, they can only go up about 2".

There are a few things you can do to lift it higher, but theyre not easy and expensive!

Most landcruisers has a Solid front.
Pretty sure all 200 Series have IFS? but i could be wrong

with the 100 Series, there was a 100 Series (IFS) and a 105 Series (solid)
Old 23-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golding View Post
Yeah, the Prado has IFS, so to lift it you need to wind up the Torsion Bars, they can only go up about 2".

There are a few things you can do to lift it higher, but theyre not easy and expensive!

Most landcruisers has a Solid front.
Pretty sure all 200 Series have IFS? but i could be wrong

with the 100 Series, there was a 100 Series (IFS) and a 105 Series (solid)
Prado has coil front suspension, not torsion bars.
Most Landcruiser (wagons) don't have solid front they have IFS, only the 80 series and 100 series base model had live axle. Base model 100 series are part time 4x4. All Prado are full time 4x4 and that's the reason I bought one over a Patrol or Pajero.
Toyota LSD's are probably the worst of any manufacturer, they only have a light spring preload and do not have any cam action.
Don't fit a lock rite, EZ locker or Lokka to anything other than a dedicated offroader.
Don't fit a Detroit locker to a car as nice to drive as a new Prado unless you really like offroading more than comfort.
My advice, don't put difflocks in a new Prado, buy the model (VX or Grande) that has D.A.T. It works better than a difflock and has none of the drawbacks.

The D4D is a good unit, but don't disregard the 4 litre V6. A little thirstier but you don't have to queue up for diesel and get covered in slime filling up. Smooth, quiet, powerful and $8k cheper to buy. You can convert to peasant juice if you like as well.
Old 24-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

100 Series pre 01 were Solid Axle, they went to IFS when they bought the turbo diesel in in the 01 onwards.

Corbz, insurance company knows about the lift as far as i know, because the car is insured with it, and so are the components that make up the lift (incase of a write off) so I assume so. I knew I wouldn't have any issues as my vehicle does not have airbags and therefore it is a legal lift. Just... but thats the reason why the lift cost $4k, good old IFS!
Old 24-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
My advice, don't put difflocks in a new Prado, buy the model (VX or Grande) that has D.A.T. It works better than a difflock and has none of the drawbacks.
funny how salesmen have absolutely no idea what they're selling...i asked one fella what 'that button does' which to me looked like a picture of the axle with big X on the rear diff...i though diff lock but the guy said it's to do with switching traction control off...i thought wtf?? also the grande model comes with adjustable suspension, what's that about? i'm guessing it doesnt lift up the car for u?

you happy with prado as a 4wd? if im looking for a second hand one how do i tell if one has a busted LSD?

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!

Tags
4wd, buy, jeep 4 lyfe, rolux