Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   For the mining boys (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/29443-mining-boys.html)

BALISTC 04-10-2009 07:39 PM

Sounds to me like Safety Reps are trying to justify their existence.

Foxymophandlmama 04-10-2009 07:51 PM

Hubby's work you have to wear a hard hat if ur not in a building or in ur vehicle when on site. There is an outside smokng area thats chained off for the guys to have a fag and an area between some offices that is sectioned off as no hard hat (its a few steps between dongas).

Cooper89 04-10-2009 07:56 PM

Best just to wear it.. wouldnt be suprised if you tripped up without your hard hat and injured your knee they wouldnt cover you.

Mine had a big split in it for a while before i had to get a new one... not cool!

phizzle 04-10-2009 07:58 PM

Hard hats must be worn anywhere there is potential for falling objects.
Hard hats must be worn where there is no potential for falling objects.

See, easy!!

Voot 04-10-2009 08:04 PM

im at work at the moment ill dig through some of the procedures and shoot them off
but they might be underground bias but cant hurt

gumby 04-10-2009 08:15 PM

Mine regs etc. will probably outline what the minimum requirement is, but if site policy stricter, then oh well, thats life. If they want you to wear a hard hat outside buildings or in certain areas, so be it, whether its a shit policy or not, its their choice, unless you can prove its a harzard to wear one in certain places, Id say you better get used to wearing it.

Not to be rude, but wearing a hard hat isnt overly hard, uncomfy sometimes, but not hard.

Denver 04-10-2009 08:47 PM

No and i don't disagree with wearing one, this however is over the top, the policy thats come in is worded along the lines of, if you can see the sky you must have one on..

so the people in the office if they go outside between an office, must have one
if wear out having lunch at the pit lunch room, and go the toilet, a distance of some 5 meters from covered roof to dunny door, you gotta have one

just one of those over the top motives, and im curious to see if the same policy exists elsewhere, or its just been pulled out of a hat..

norwest_rumbler 04-10-2009 08:54 PM

not having a go at you but i dont see what the issue is, you want to work there & its their rules.
im hanging out to wear ppe & get paid again lol

Elrico 04-10-2009 08:59 PM

Over the top? How about at Nelson point/Finicane Island we were not allowed ontop of an orange saftey step (yes the ones that are about 1-2 feet off the ground) without having a harness and a loadrating anchor point that can withstand 12KN of downforce (based on an average male weighing 80kg and falling from a height of 2meters). So the china gridmesh/handrails etc were not considered saftey points.

Way i see it, im alive because they are overly safe, sure its annoying when you glasses get scratched and fogged up by oh well. I got all my 8 fingers, 2 thumbs etc

meatbag 04-10-2009 09:06 PM

Im with FMG and as long as you are not under a shelter you must wear a hard hat, glasses and be carrying gloves. and yes that includes the 10m walk to the shitter.

The only clause is if you are walking to a bus were the hard hat may become a projectile hazard. talk about covering asses. Im waiting on the next rule assesment were they will make a special cabinet in the bus for helmets