Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Hahahaha - no need. They're different methods. Some of those on the rib run had both versions I'm sure.

Dave utilises his tools - I utilise mine which is a

For me - a rib is a rib as long as they are slow cooked after a extended dry rub time. Just throwing ribs on a BBQ with some baste to turn out to be tough , blackened ribs is such a travesty.
Old 19-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Sign me up!

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave View Post
The longer the marinating time the better imo but 48 hours is plenty. The more love (rub) you give the ribs the better but wear gloves and do not get the mix in your nose or eyes. I really should just open Billy Bob's BBQ Rib Joint and be done with it.
Yeh i used gloves to do it, rubbed a good 3 complete racks of ribs... still got it on my lips, noise and eyes.. ahhaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strubaru View Post
hmmmm (tries to think of excuse to pop into tino's on the way home) hahahha
Chris were not serving today.... closed for business.. hahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
No "smoking" imparts that smokey flavour Dave

Good effort Tino. Mate , unlike Dave I sop mine. So dry rub, 24 hours, sop, 1 -2 hours on slow cook in a weber like object with hickory, mesquite etc.

A "sop" is like a tomato puree based BBQ tasting soup. You fast simmer the ribs just until the meat starts falling off the bones. Let em cool overnight. Then weber smoke and slow cook.

For your sop you want to add things like onions, garlic, tomato sauce, mustard, fruit juice, sugar some beer/rum / bourbon depending on taste.

The dry rub then imparts itself throughout the meat as it becomes part of the "sop". The sop then get boil down with mine to make a BBQ sauce to use with the ribs. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance/time when I went I made rib's for the run. I also didn't make them very hot which seems to be popular - I leave the kick to the sop BBQ sauce to add heat.

FARK I'm hungry now

You'll need a couple of these babies Dave

Or even better - a BIG one. This would be the new Perth-WRX BBQ pit smokin runs. We could feed a hundred out of this baby.

My dream BBQ smoker slow cooker would be this one:

Now I'm really hungry.

hahah i didnt realise that you guys have different cooking methods...

Ill take a pic of my barbie which i cooked them in. Can easily add a smoker box to it..

Andrew is that what that big cooker is a barbie with a smoker box??
Old 19-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Hahahaha - no need. They're different methods. Some of those on the rib run had both versions I'm sure.

Dave utilises his tools - I utilise mine which is a

For me - a rib is a rib as long as they are slow cooked after a extended dry rub time. Just throwing ribs on a BBQ with some baste to turn out to be tough , blackened ribs is such a travesty.
those ribs are reminscent of the ribs i had from BBQ billys... disgusting... my first run i did i knocked em for 6..
Old 19-04-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex View Post
Yeh i used gloves to do it, rubbed a good 3 complete racks of ribs... still got it on my lips, noise and eyes.. ahhaah

Chris were not serving today.... closed for business.. hahah

hahah i didnt realise that you guys have different cooking methods...

Ill take a pic of my barbie which i cooked them in. Can easily add a smoker box to it..

Andrew is that what that big cooker is a barbie with a smoker box??
It's called a fire box. Effectively, the fire is made in the box on the side to avoid all direct heat to the meat in the BBQ lid section and upright vertical smoker box. So, you can effectively, grill on the grill in the fire box, roast/smoke in the BBQ section or just cold smoke in the upright section. The aim of it all is to cook for a very long time at a low temperature so that even the toughest piece of meat just falls apart (ie - brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs).

Were talking about times like 6 - 18 hours depending. I once saw a 1/4 side if beef done whole in very large one in the good ol USA. In the end - anything cooked long an slow is to die for. Try a leg of lamb in a Le Cruesette large pot with lid in an oven at say 120 c for 4-5 hours. You don't carve the leg - you pull it apart.

For more info - read this http://bbq.about.com/cs/brisket/a/aa030798a.htm

It gives the ideas across quite well.

Now you guys might understand why mine are a three day process with rub, sop, and smoking. In the end - when done perfectly you can even just chew through any cartilage section at the thick end of the ribs.

PS - Was saying to Dave if I knew you were heading to Frank's for ribs I should have organised a rib commission. Hope you left some for me ?

PPS - forgot to mention. You don't need a smoking box for BBQ. Just put the wood chips (ONLY HARDWOODS!) in a bucket to soak say 20 mins. Drain and oput them in a double thick al foil pocket and seal up. Poke a small hole and put on briqueets / charcol. It very hard to get right with a gas flame even if you have a smoker box. If the smoke is too fast / too hot the taste is acrid. Good "smoke" comes very slowly and has a sweet smell when you get it right with a good wood like hickory, mesquite or even jarrah.
Old 19-04-2010, 12:25 PM

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

I could tow one of those to Perth-WRX cruises
Old 19-04-2010, 12:26 PM

Group donate
Old 19-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Sign me up!

Quote:
It's called a fire box. Effectively, the fire is made in the box on the side to avoid all direct heat to the meat in the BBQ lid section and upright vertical smoker box. So, you can effectively, grill on the grill in the fire box, roast/smoke in the BBQ section or just cold smoke in the upright section. The aim of it all is to cook for a very long time at a low temperature so that even the toughest piece of meat just falls apart (ie - brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs).

Were talking about times like 6 - 18 hours depending. I once saw a 1/4 side if beef done whole in very large one in the good ol USA. In the end - anything cooked long an slow is to die for. Try a leg of lamb in a Le Cruesette large pot with lid in an oven at say 120 c for 4-5 hours. You don't carve the leg - you pull it apart.

For more info - read this http://bbq.about.com/cs/brisket/a/aa030798a.htm

It gives the ideas across quite well.

Now you guys might understand why mine are a three day process with rub, sop, and smoking. In the end - when done perfectly you can even just chew through any cartilage section at the thick end of the ribs.

PS - Was saying to Dave if I knew you were heading to Frank's for ribs I should have organised a rib commission. Hope you left some for me ?

PPS - forgot to mention. You don't need a smoking box for BBQ. Just put the wood chips (ONLY HARDWOODS!) in a bucket to soak say 20 mins. Drain and oput them in a double thick al foil pocket and seal up. Poke a small hole and put on briqueets / charcol. It very hard to get right with a gas flame even if you have a smoker box. If the smoke is too fast / too hot the taste is acrid. Good "smoke" comes very slowly and has a sweet smell when you get it right with a good wood like hickory, mesquite or even jarrah.
Cool ill check it out. I only have a gas barbie but theres tons of room to put a smoke box or even just have half the barbie going so as not to generate too much smoke??

I took around 6 racks from Frank, was going to be 4 orignally but then i just couldnt help myself..ahahah
Old 19-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Sign me up!

nom nom nom...

Just finished eating the leftovers half a rack... they taste sooo much better right now
Old 19-04-2010, 04:40 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

bastard nom nom nom
Old 19-04-2010, 05:39 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Fark that looks unheathly - Pork or BBQ?

Tags
glorious, ribs