Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff
Default Company provided work vehicles

Hey everyone,
I work in air conditioning & part of my package is a fully paid for work vehicle to use at my disposal 24/7, as the nature of my work dictates ring on call etc.
I had a decent bingle in it over a month ago now and they are telling me I have to pay the excess on the insurance. I was just wondering is this common practice or is the company I work for just a tight pack of assholes.

I have always been of the opinion like many of my colleuges, that during company hours/company business, the excess is covered by them and not my responsibilty. However after hours use (eg don't want to put kms on my car) and I crash I would be liable for the excess which is fine.

The excess is $500. I have chosen to pay it save having this arguement with a stubborn boss who told me I have to pay it, as it's in my contract.

The payments haven't started yet so I can still querie it but I just wanted to see what others have had to do with this type of thing.
Old 18-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Sign me up!
STI Master

grumpyrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master D View Post
Hey everyone,
I work in air conditioning & part of my package is a fully paid for work vehicle to use at my disposal 24/7, as the nature of my work dictates ring on call etc.
By my reasoning all vehicle expenditure would be part of your package so unless your damage was caused by you maliciously then they should cover the excess.
Old 18-06-2010, 11:37 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

silvascoob at standard level

Your company is liable for the excess. It is their vehicle and the insurance is in their name. I had a minor fender bender a few years ago in the fleet car I had at the time and the company sorted it all out including paying the excess which was over $1000 at the time.
The idea behind having a company car is that it is a part of your salary package so all running costs are covered which in turn includes insurance and excess.
Old 18-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

You've mentioned that you need to pay it as your boss said it is in your contract.

That is your first check, is it in your contract? If it is, then that is solved.

Without reading your contract, no one on here can answer this. Some companies will pay, others won't, no one here knows how the vehicle insurance has been set up yadda yadda yadda...
Old 18-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Were you being a cock when you had the crash? Ie piss farting around while driving hence causing the accident?
One of my employees smashed a window at my work because he was fucking around so I made him pay for it. Fucked if I'm going to be out of pocket for his stupidity.
A legitimate accident would be a different story.
Old 18-06-2010, 12:17 PM
STI Master

Bob at standard level

Been there, done that. They paid not me.

As stated check your work policy.

IMO though I wouldn't drive a vehicle if I had no control over the insurance policy.
You may be better off re-evaluating the work car arrangements. Use your own car and get paid for its use.
Old 18-06-2010, 12:35 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

tommo at standard level

depends on the company, ive been with some who will pay and others the driver must pay.. check the policy..
Old 18-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

Cheers guys, thanks for the feedback. I might have to do some reading tonight of the contract.
Old 18-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Part of my package when I had a car with two different companies was that the company pays everything EXCEPT the excess in the event of an accident.

Read your contract.
Old 18-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

gmastah at standard level

I second the "read your contract" it will stipulate who has to pay, but from my experience, if it's a car through salary sacrifice, it will be your car,and will be under your name and it's your responsibility to pay, then claim expense from the pre tax dollars costings against your fbt...

Tags
company, provided, vehicles, work