Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

I'm not blaming country drivers but merely pointing out where the vast majority of the fatalities are happening.

Millions of cars and drivers going around Perth metro area and yet 50% less fatalities happening.

Do the numbers and then tell me where the money should be spent and efforts targeted.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I will happily blame country drivers for the country road toll.

How many of them have a license because Dad showed them what to do on a paddock truck?

How many of them went to the local cop shop, drove around the block and then presented their license?

How many of them drive an old feral ute with a back window made up of OBH stickers?

Sure there are a lot of fatalities from 'city slickers' not used to driving at 110kmh. Then there are a lot of fatalities from those used to driving at 110, pushing it up to 130-140... On the way back from the local pub that is 50km down the road and because the local copper is off duty, not really a chance of being caught pissy driving.

Then to top it all off, you have to look at the piss poor design of not only our main city roads, but the country roads. Nothing more fun than being on a single lane country road with someone blasting towards you at 110+ and because you aren't the local, you get pushed off.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:42 PM
The Modulator

The truth is the state government and cops care little about the carnage in the bush because fixing it will cost them big $$, where as increasing Perth metro speed cameras, fines and resulting increase in revenue works nicely for them.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave View Post
The truth is the state government and cops care little about the carnage in the bush because fixing it will cost them big $$, where as increasing Perth metro speed cameras, fines and resulting increase in revenue works nicely for them.
B-I-N-G-O

Too hard basket to fix inadequecies. Easier to fine people and generate cash to give themselves a pay rise and further retirement perks.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Well I'm glad this thread got off my inability to wake up or count - FAIL for me
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jezzamcbezza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave View Post
Yup, instead of fixing up black spots or making dangerous intersections safer, wake up a sign and a speed camera

Cha-Ching!!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

I think if theyre going to raise this kind of money, they need to put it back into changing drivers attitudes, which is where I think the problem lies.

Its too easy to get a license, and then its too easy to keep your license, and then if you lose it, its too easy to drive anyway.

Having a license is a privilege, and not a right. That I think is what people dont understand. Police powers need to be increased to revoke licenses, and measures put in place to keep these people off the road.

Everyone has the same right obtaining a drivers license as much as going for your pilots license. Yet to fly a plane (which is statistically speaking is safer than driving isnt it?) you must go through countless practical and theoretical examinations, and have lessons in simulators and with qualified trainers, as well as costing a little bit on the expensive side. Yet to get behind the wheel of a car, you answer 30 questions, of which you can get some wrong, have as few lessons as you choose with practically whoever you want, then fill out a log book with someone whos attitudes towards driving are probably substandard as well.

A license may be a necessity for most people, and life would be hard without it. I know i would not have my job without mine, but that does not give me the right to it, or the right to abuse that privilege.

Perhaps a new registration system could be imposed to keep unlicensed drivers off the road? To use a firearm you need to have that firearm registered in your name, unless the registered person is with you. You cant be registered without a license, and you cannot keep that firearm in your possession without registration. Why cant a similar system be in place for vehicles?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 AM
The Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate View Post
Police powers need to be increased to revoke licenses, and measures put in place to keep these people off the road.
Police dont revoke licenses..magistrates in our court system do.

Giving the police more power is NOT the answer.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

I probably worded that phrase a bit wrong. I didnt mean more power per-say, or taking the responisibilty away from magistrates, what i was getting at is that its too easy for repeat offenders, the people who dont care and are dangerous, to keep their license and stay on the roads endangering others lives, because people seem to think the road belongs to them and its their god given right to drive on it. I was also saying that there are other offences committed on the road, other than speeding, that contribute to accidents and deaths. Failure to give way, not merging properly, tailgating, running stop signs/red lights, and people who do not fully understand the road rules. Where's the police targeting these offences?

You can get caught deliberately speeding as many times as your bank account can afford (or not) you might lose demerits and be off the road for a few months, but you can continue driving after that, and for a lot of cases many people continue to drive while unlicensed.

If i get caught doing something dodgy at work, I get fired. Going back to my previous examples, if you do something stupid with your gun, you get your weapon seized. I'm willing to bet if your imcompetent in the air, you'll lose your pilots license. Go to work on a minesite drunk? you dont get a slap on the wrist and a small fine and do it again another day, you get your arse fired. In other facets of society you do not get many second chances. If there are minimal consequences to endangering peoples lives, then people are going to continue to do it.

Last edited by Alternate; 05-05-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

I think we've come the full circle. MOST of the use of speed cameras is not for compliance or the increase in skillful driving - it's revenue. Otherwise all speeding would include demerits, yet it doesn't so they can keep raising revenue for all minor speeding indiscretions.

With regard to "the other offences" - again, it's easier to chase a known unlicenced driver and put it on the news, run a booze bus or utilize red light cameras than be on the road booking tosser driving tactics such as failing to keep left, tailgating, etc. Way to subjective a charge which has a potential to be challenged.

As noted by a ex cop whistle blower in the Sunday Times recently - it about number of charges NOT the quality of the charges laid.

Our fast food SMS society has always focussed on quantity not quality.

Tags
big, cameras, earner, speed