Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
(google this - certain port numbers are better to use to prevent ISP's applying QoS to your P2P traffic - depending on your ISP of course)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...P_port_numbers

^^ That should give you an idea as to what ports are reserved or used, just need to find a port number that isn't associated with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
Whilst your at it, you may as well setup a DHCP reservation in your Netgear router so that your internal torrent PC always gets the same IP address.
You could setup a static IP address on your computer instead, either way it will do the trick.
Old 20-07-2010, 09:51 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...P_port_numbers

^^ That should give you an idea as to what ports are reserved or used, just need to find a port number that isn't associated with anything.
Not exactly....just because the port number is used by a particular process, doesnt mean you cant use it for your torrent program. EG, SSH uses port 22, that doesnt mean I cant use port 22 for uTorrent.

Some ISP's tend to traffic shape well known default torrent ports. You will have better luck using a port number that ISP's think should have preferential treatment (eg ports used for known multicast applications, routing ports.... etc)

Here is a good starting guide to maximising torrent speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
[url]
You could setup a static IP address on your computer instead, either way it will do the trick.
I was just trying to give the easiest solution for the long haul. If you were to start setting static IP's on laptop which are then one day taken offsite to friends / family / overseas etc, people start wondering why it wont connect etc, whereas by reserving the IP in the router itself will allow for trouble free operation in the long run....

Allowing for non technically minded people here, no offense intended
Old 20-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_STYLE View Post
I've heard some movies and games available through pirate bay are tracked
by the movie and game companies to see who is illegally downloading their
stuff.

its a risk with downloading from any public tracker. I have received a couple of emails from my ISP about receiving info about downloading some things. Certainly makes for an increased heart rate

Download and install peerblock, and keep it regularily updated! It blocks any known unfriendly IP addresses (such as government or any known movie companies) from connecting to you or you connecting to them. Unless you only download torrents for legitimate reasons of course

Last edited by Alternate; 20-07-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: grate spellin
Old 20-07-2010, 11:36 AM

RichX knows their stuff

Most home/comsumer level routers will cut out if you unleash the fury of a busy torrent on it. Home level routers can't handle that many concurrent TCP connections. You need to tune your torrent client fairly well unless you have a very tough router.
Old 20-07-2010, 12:06 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
Most home/comsumer level routers will cut out if you unleash the fury of a busy torrent on it. Home level routers can't handle that many concurrent TCP connections. You need to tune your torrent client fairly well unless you have a very tough router.
Examples? I only have a crappy Netgear DG834G and it has handled torrent work fine for 3 years. I am surprised it hasn't died yet quite frankly. I don't know anyone running anything but standard SOHO gear with torrent.

I agree, there is tuning required re amount of connections / half connections and XP requres a hack to adjust, but you can always change settings back.
Old 20-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

I have to agree with RichX, i used to have a netgear one, couldnt remember the model, but after a while it used to freak out. Any current connections would continue working but would not allow any new connections, so I couldnt browse etc unless i restarted it.

As long as you limit the number of global connections it should be ok though
Old 20-07-2010, 12:41 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Most home-grade ones only have ~133Mhz processors. A top of the line Billion should be alright, maybe. I run pFsense on an old P4 1.7Ghz, 512Mb RAM, Dual NIC's etc. Does all my routing, reporting, graphing, authentication etc and i absoutely SLAY it with torrents.

In terms of terminating your ADSL Sync, any shitty modem is good enough for that, So long as you take the routing duties away from it. I have a DSL-504T holding my synch, to which that goes into the back of eth0 on the router, eth1 into the rest of the network.

Has an uptime of 106days at the moment.

Tags
bit, torrent