Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

wilkem01 at standard level
Default Bit torrent

Hi all,

Having just upgraded my internet i thought i would finally use a torrent downloader.
However, when i set it up to download it was running very slowly, so i opened the port through my firewall but it still ran quite slowly?

Further to that, once it was downloaded and i tried to play the movie it told me i couldn't watch it through windows media and that i would have to download some certain other 'free' media player.

So my question really is, does anyone know the reason this would run so slowly and also if anyone has any decent torrent sites to actually do the downloads from?

Cheers in advance
Old 19-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

I use BitLord to download, get most torrents from www.torrentreactor.org

You need to click on the thing that shows what files are actually being downloaded, check if they are .wmv .mpeg .mp3 etc. There is a few file types that compress them further but I've never been bothered to do it.

Most torrent sites are overrun with adware & dodgey stuff so you need to know what you're doing. Once you start BitLord & open a torrent it gives you the choice of which files to download (movie only, not the other dodgey spyware stuff) which helps sift through the crap.
Old 19-07-2010, 09:20 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

The Suby at standard level

"VLC Media Player" is a good free program which views multiple formats quite well.
Old 19-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

+1 for vlc player

I use isohunt and btjunkie

and utorrent for the program.

Just make sure the port is forwarded that you using for torrents which will increase your speed

Last edited by NVRENUF; 19-07-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 19-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Sir AntiLag

PIGSTIWGN at standard level

vuze.com
Old 19-07-2010, 10:07 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkem01 View Post
Hi all,

Having just upgraded my internet i thought i would finally use a torrent downloader.
However, when i set it up to download it was running very slowly, so i opened the port through my firewall but it still ran quite slowly?

Further to that, once it was downloaded and i tried to play the movie it told me i couldn't watch it through windows media and that i would have to download some certain other 'free' media player.
Opened the port in what firewall? Software or hardware (eg Windows Firewall / Zone Alarm vs Modem Router with built in firewall?)

Just because you open up Windows Firewall / Zone Alarm, doesn't mean your modem router isn't perhaps blocking traffic still.

+1 for uTorrent - take advantage of the scheduling function to schedule torrents to chew up your offpeak quota first (if applicable)

+1 for isohunt also - Generally most of the good torrents people have provided feedback, people will flame fakes and those that require special media players (which are generally malware infected).

There should be plenty of guides on how to get uTorrent to function correctly. And if you require a guide on port forwarding - visit http://portforward.com/.

+1 for VLC also - This is all you will need, however if you still want to open in media player you will need to download DivX codec pack.
Old 19-07-2010, 10:51 AM

Stalker at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
+1 for uTorrent - take advantage of the scheduling function to schedule torrents to chew up your offpeak quota first (if applicable)

+1 for isohunt also - Generally most of the good torrents people have provided feedback, people will flame fakes and those that require special media players (which are generally malware infected).

There should be plenty of guides on how to get uTorrent to function correctly. And if you require a guide on port forwarding - visit http://portforward.com/.

+1 for VLC also - This is all you will need, however if you still want to open in media player you will need to download DivX codec pack.
I'm with NVRENUF and Shodown.

+1 for Isohunt (although the actual site is very slow), VLC Player and uTorrent.

Add TVersity, a wireless router and a PS3 into the mix and you will be watching the latest episodes Topgear in High Def on your LCD / Plasma TV in no time!

P.s. The movie Grown Ups is crap. So much potential, but the usual Happy Madison garbage story line and lame gags.
Old 19-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level
Send a message via MSN to V3 RA

TVersity is an awesome program.

+1 for utorrent, It has a scheduler too!

JDM version 3 STi RA
Old 19-07-2010, 01:02 PM

wilkem01 at standard level

cheers for the replies all, will have a look into it tonight when i get home from work and see if i can get it working properly
Old 19-07-2010, 01:11 PM

subarubloke at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkem01 View Post
Hi all,

So my question really is, does anyone know the reason this would run so slowly and also if anyone has any decent torrent sites to actually do the downloads from?

Cheers in advance
Did the torrent you download have a high number of seeds & was the ratio of seeds to peers okay?

Tags
bit, torrent