Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT43 View Post
Hyena FTW

Fark they dont look big on the docos.. but man thats a big dog..
Old 19-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Sign me up!
Sir AntiLag

maniac at standard level
Send a message via MSN to maniac

Echoing sentiments already made....An un-trained, un-exercised attack dog sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

If you just want something as a burglar deterrent that you don't have to put any time or effort into just get a monitored alarm or some other type of security system that you can just forget about (besides paying for it)

Attack dogs may seem like a good idea on some level but you have to maintain the dog for best results - training and such. Exercising an vicious attack dog isnt fun, last one we had could only be walked in the very wee hours of the morning because it wanted to kill everything that wasnt family. Fun times....not.
Just keeping up the training 'should' be a couple of hours per week depending on how well the initial training went.
Not saying attack dogs are vicious mind you, just saying that if you get one that is a bit more aggressive it raises challenges

If you end up with one like our old dog (Attila....such a placid name) take care when having friends over. Attila was pure psycho, tore the ear off a close friend of the family who made the mistake of stepping out the back door one day unaccompanied. Glad he turned his head - dog was going for the throat. Would not have ended well.
Old 19-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Subaru Tech Division

karina2009 is unrated

ok well i'm not after a vicious meat hungry animal, just something that won't run under the table or piss itself wen somone new comes over.
I've had dogs all my life and the best dog i had was a Border collie x kelpie which was the best dog but had to sell her coz she was hypoand my dad couldnt handle her, but I want something that will atleast bark at someone if they handle me aggressively. I'm thinking of getting an Akita..
I'm not an irresposinble dog owner, and I hate dogs that have to be put down coz their owners make them hunrgy for anyone but who they know.
just wanted advice on good dogs for guard dogs, not life advice on how to look after them.. I know that much, otherwise do you think I would take on the challenge of something that weighed more than me and could push me around..no..
Old 19-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Bull Terrier, silly as a wheel for a couple of years and don't need to be trained, mine would let anyone in as long as we were home but he'd rip your arm off if you came near or jumped in the back yard.......that was HIS place.
Mind you I was up at Leinster when I got him and at about 4 months old he tried to take on a truck loaded with about 50 coons & their dogs.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 19-08-2010, 06:39 PM
STI Master

daveygravey at standard level

+1 for bull terrier, they are pretty chilled most of the time when they are a few years old. Im pretty sure they have the strongest bite of an dog around....
Old 19-08-2010, 06:42 PM
STI Master

DJDINO at standard level

I've got a Blue Heeler, he is about 33kg and would tear anyone a new one if they came in the back yard near the car etc, this is great as I can leave garage open, doors open etc, problem is you need to be very careful about gates, front doors etc as he will bite and then it's a big fine and goodbye dog.
Old 19-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Your dog scares the shit out of me.
red dragon2002 likes this.
Old 19-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

ANY dog can be trained to do gnarly things. But a poodle's bite won't be the same as a rottie that's for sure.

basic training
http://guarddogs4sale.com/basic-adva...-training.html
personal protection
http://guarddogs4sale.com/property-p...-training.html

That site is old and so is the material. It will have a makeover soon. It's my friend's business, now called Spartan Special Forces. I knocked up a logo and a BC below. Contact details are there. If you want some light training (or heavy training for that matter) for your dog, he can do it for you. From basics, like simply following you, through to bite & release.

If you give him a call, he's be a good guy to talk to about perhaps what dog you might want to get for your needs... trained or not.

And he has recently won rights to train all of the WA Police's attack dogs, so he knows what he's doing and what he's talking about.

Old 19-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDINO View Post
I've got a Blue Heeler, he is about 33kg and would tear anyone a new one if they came in the back yard near the car etc, this is great as I can leave garage open, doors open etc, problem is you need to be very careful about gates, front doors etc as he will bite and then it's a big fine and goodbye dog.
Had blue and red heelers all my life, love them. They are great guard dogs but will go nuts in a small place. (we are on a semi rural place)

Ours (we always have 2) are masters of the stealth attack, they bite first, then bark

So, to answer the question, can you get "medium sized" dobermans?
Old 19-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

You can buy a Doguede De Bordeaux from Pet Stock Mandurah for $1500.

You may remember the breed from Turner and Hooch.

Tags
dog, guard