Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   fishing thread (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/37854-fishing-thread.html)

Bgwrx 19-10-2010 12:33 PM

fishing thread

ive been chasing bream around guildford, with mixed results. just wondering where other people are fishing around perth and what they are fishing for?

REXXXED 19-10-2010 12:55 PM

Bait or Lure? Boat or Shore?

My favourite black bream spots are the following: Underneath Canning Bridge if you want big bream, however hard to catch....cannot use prawns or any soft bait here as the blowies will just rape you.... get some small mussells or live small black crabs...very strong tide's here, try fishing at the turn of a tide for best results

Behind Jo-Jo's resaurant in my fishing kayak is a very good spot also for black bream

Underneath Garrett road bridge in redcliff/ascot for black break in the yak is also very productive. Or paddle 500-1000 metres upriver and fish the reeds/banks behind the ascot racecourse is good also.

Big kilo+ skippy can be found in the Marina's around Perth (hillarys/mindarie etc) on warmer days with an incoming tide. Same places on stormy winter days and you might find yourself lucky with some small 45cm pink snapper (they come in to feed during/after very rough weather) which is great fun on light gear!!

Plenty of fish/squid to be found around Perth!

Bgwrx 19-10-2010 12:58 PM

ive just been fishing off the shore with river prawns and a few live black crabs, today i picked up a few hard body lures and tomorrow or this arvo might head down to guildford rd bridge

REXXXED 19-10-2010 01:16 PM

[url]http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=garvey+park+perth&fb=1&gl=au&hq=garvey+park&hnear=Perth+WA&cid=0,0,16060022159251615499&ei=jxq9TLLVN4zQcYi-ifUN&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQnwIwAA[/url]

Under the trees in the shade at garvey park, on a really hot day at the turn of the tide with a pack of river prawns will get you good results. Seriously next time its high 30s/40s head down there (really cool under the trees near the river anyway) and you get some nice sized bream (upwards from 35cm). Spent many days there when i lived up in the hills. Coz its only like a 10 minute drive!

End of Hilton Gr, Ascot there's a little car park. All the trees to the left of here overhang the river and are great little bream spots with unweighted whole river prawns. Let us know how you go!

Bgwrx 19-10-2010 01:25 PM

cheers for the tip bro, i think i might go there tomorrow

MadDocker 19-10-2010 01:27 PM

Whitehills.

Live bait sent out while you use the smaller rod to catch Tailor & Herring.

Always good fun.

karina2009 19-10-2010 02:07 PM

My ex's "secret" fishing spot was at blackies in Pt Walter, would go there early morning after tide change and always catch, also directly across from there in mosman park you can go there at night and always catch black bream and bulk taylor easily and with any bait.

Rossco 19-10-2010 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=Bgwrx;502776]ive just been fishing off the shore with river prawns and a few live black crabs, today i picked up a few hard body lures and tomorrow or this arvo might head down to guildford rd bridge[/QUOTE]

Buy PUPRLE river 2 sea baby vibes......

Or purple sx-40's

ImPreSiV 19-10-2010 03:17 PM

I'm just getting in to fishing, been playing around for a while. Always keen to get out and give it a go, time pending.. so if anyone is keen, hit me up and I'll tag along.

gorotsuki69 19-10-2010 03:24 PM

I'm looking to buy a fishing kayak like a Hobie. Do you know if you can go into the sheltered areas of the ocean like penguin island?

[QUOTE=REXXXED;502775]Bait or Lure? Boat or Shore?

My favourite black bream spots are the following: Underneath Canning Bridge if you want big bream, however hard to catch....cannot use prawns or any soft bait here as the blowies will just rape you.... get some small mussells or live small black crabs...very strong tide's here, try fishing at the turn of a tide for best results

Behind Jo-Jo's resaurant in my fishing kayak is a very good spot also for black bream

Underneath Garrett road bridge in redcliff/ascot for black break in the yak is also very productive. Or paddle 500-1000 metres upriver and fish the reeds/banks behind the ascot racecourse is good also.

Big kilo+ skippy can be found in the Marina's around Perth (hillarys/mindarie etc) on warmer days with an incoming tide. Same places on stormy winter days and you might find yourself lucky with some small 45cm pink snapper (they come in to feed during/after very rough weather) which is great fun on light gear!!

Plenty of fish/squid to be found around Perth![/QUOTE]

REXXXED 19-10-2010 03:38 PM

I have a hobie kayak and i do venture into the ocean with it on calmer days, no worries. Especially sheltered areas such as what you have mentioned it shouldnt be an issue. Plenty of info and video's etc about this on kfdu.com.au or yakfishwest.com

Yakfishwest have social days and competitions every so often which are good fun also.

Ranger Outdoors throws try before you buy days as well which might be worth looking into if you aren't 100% sure what you want. Go to the one in Balcatta and see if Mark is working, he knows a heap about them (and owns one himself)

Bgwrx 19-10-2010 05:27 PM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;502841]I'm just getting in to fishing, been playing around for a while. Always keen to get out and give it a go, time pending.. so if anyone is keen, hit me up and I'll tag along.[/QUOTE]

time is the hard thing to find. im lucky at the moment, im just waiting to be sent to another mine site so im having 3 weeks holiday :) im planning on fishing every day this week for a few hours

Bgwrx 19-10-2010 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=REXXXED;502850]I have a hobie kayak and i do venture into the ocean with it on calmer days, no worries. Especially sheltered areas such as what you have mentioned it shouldnt be an issue. Plenty of info and video's etc about this on kfdu.com.au or yakfishwest.com

Yakfishwest have social days and competitions every so often which are good fun also.

Ranger Outdoors throws try before you buy days as well which might be worth looking into if you aren't 100% sure what you want. Go to the one in Balcatta and see if Mark is working, he knows a heap about them (and owns one himself)[/QUOTE]

how easy is it to fish from a kayak? is it hard to settle in a spot? or do you drift a bit?

my00silver 19-10-2010 06:14 PM

just river prawns around canning bridge and mt henery bridge, sand bar is good for flat head

gorotsuki69 19-10-2010 07:05 PM

[QUOTE=REXXXED;502850]I have a hobie kayak and i do venture into the ocean with it on calmer days, no worries. Especially sheltered areas such as what you have mentioned it shouldnt be an issue. Plenty of info and video's etc about this on kfdu.com.au or yakfishwest.com

Ranger Outdoors throws try before you buy days as well which might be worth looking into if you aren't 100% sure what you want. Go to the one in Balcatta and see if Mark is working, he knows a heap about them (and owns one himself)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info
I know Adrian that works there he owns a Hobie and a GT Foz

if you hook something with some power e.g a small bronzie will you get pulled all over the place?

REXXXED 19-10-2010 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=Bgwrx;502886]how easy is it to fish from a kayak? is it hard to settle in a spot? or do you drift a bit?[/QUOTE]
Much easier than you would think, it extremely comfy and handy having all your fishing and tackle right where you are no matter where you go. Quite easily and comfortably sit it for 5+ hours without a break. I have a 3 kilo anchor which I drop down and does the job pretty damn well. Most of my fishing in the kayak in marinas or yacht clubs etc so I just 'hook onto' other obstacles such as jetties or pylons etc that you wouldn't be able to fish unless you had a yak. Lure fishing or baitcasting all done whilst drifting.

REXXXED 19-10-2010 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=gorotsuki69;502944]Thanks for the info
I know Adrian that works there he owns a Hobie and a GT Foz

if you hook something with some power e.g a small bronzie will you get pulled all over the place?[/QUOTE]
I've hooked a couple of small sharks/rays and even bigger pinkys and yeah they tow you around but it's all fine, specially out in open water. In the marina's you basically go wherever they want you to go. But thats the beauty of it, because your getting pulled along less chance of snapping off as theres less pressure on the line and you can use lighter gear.

Hobie kayaks are much more stable than you would think just looking at them!

207 de 20-10-2010 11:14 AM

Anyone into spearfishing?

I get bored doing traditional fishing and have always loved snorkeling and eating fish so it sort of goes together. :-)

Bgwrx 20-10-2010 01:16 PM

i tried fishing at guildford bridge today for bream, fished for an hour before it got too windy and started to rain. caught two good sized bream.

Bgwrx 20-10-2010 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=207 de;503161]Anyone into spearfishing?

I get bored doing traditional fishing and have always loved snorkeling and eating fish so it sort of goes together. :-)[/QUOTE]

my brother used to do a bit of spear fishing off rotto before he moved to canada, used to get a fair few fish just free diving off a boat

REXXXED 20-10-2010 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=Bgwrx;503199]i tried fishing at guildford bridge today for bream, fished for an hour before it got too windy and started to rain. caught two good sized bream.[/QUOTE]
Pics?
I always take a happy snap and release anything i catch in the river (other than squid of course). I'd rather the bream keep breeding away and make fishing better for the future.

Ever entered Swanfish??

Bgwrx 20-10-2010 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=REXXXED;503282]Pics?
I always take a happy snap and release anything i catch in the river (other than squid of course). I'd rather the bream keep breeding away and make fishing better for the future.

Ever entered Swanfish??[/QUOTE]

i will take my camera with me if i head down tomorrow. i dont keep any of the bream i catch this high up in the river, too much pollution in it. i just like fishing i dont do it to eat what i catch, im not that fussed with fish fillets. its all about relaxing....... hows the serenity

REXXXED 20-10-2010 04:17 PM

Exactly why i go fishing....mind you if i catch a big pinky....she's coming home to my oven!

Bgwrx 20-10-2010 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=REXXXED;503292]Exactly why i go fishing....mind you if i catch a big pinky....she's coming home to my oven![/QUOTE]

yeh there are a few things that are too good to throw back, pinkies are one, good sized whiting and squid are my favorite. i wont throw back mullet if im fortunate to catch a few, they make excellent bait.

REXXXED 21-10-2010 11:11 AM

Went fishing in the congo river last night and caught me one of these bad boys:
[url]http://www.news.com.au/travel/world/mystical-goliath-tiger-fish-caught-on-camera/story-e6frfqai-1225941552399[/url]

Bgwrx 21-10-2010 11:16 AM

thats a bloody weird fish, ive seen his show a few times on foxtel, its worth a watch

REXXXED 27-10-2010 05:41 PM

My Cousin and i went yakking last night in Claremont/Swanbourne last night. Freshwater Bay to be more specific.

Between the 2 of us we would have caught at least 10 Black Bream, about 5 or so over 30cm (fat bastards too). A 45cm Flathead, 2 herring, 3 yellowfin whiting and 6 very decent sized King George Whiting....

I didnt even know you could catch these thing in the river! Honestly it was such a good night of fishing.... probably woulda come home with 5 or so sized crabs if i had my scoop on me :(

Can't wait to head out there again, weather and tide were perfect! Incoming tide allllll day. High tide at 11.18pm. We left at about 12.30am as there wasnt much after the tide turned, and besides we both had to get up early this morning.

I do have pics of what we kept (only the whiting and herring) but im at work so cannot upload at this stage.

smerm07 27-02-2011 01:59 PM

ive started to get back into the fishing scene, but i have no idea on what sort of lure i should be using when fishing in the swan river. Does anyone have some suggestions? much appreciated.

coon84 27-02-2011 02:41 PM

live bait is the best
lures dun really work from my experience.

wheres the best place to catch black bream and with wat bait??

i read the comments above, but want detail n specific info for best results.

mARC 27-02-2011 03:53 PM

Depends where you're fishing and what you're fishing for.

We usually go a few mile out and try and hit up the Jewfish, Baldchin Groper, King George Whiting and Snapper 'shitting bag limits mean the professionals can over fish and over charge more now days 'especially for Jewfish'.

We've always used mules and octopus, and the odd Sergent Baker we pull up.

Beach fishing mainly use white bait, red prawns, pieces of mules, but we go for Whiting and Tailor only, though on the rare occasion we've actually managed to pull up size Jewfish and Pink Snapper'.

Never had any luck with lures myself but then again don't really know where they're most effective to use.

gorotsuki69 27-02-2011 04:45 PM

how brave are you feeling on the kayak?

[url]http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/more-than-100-sharks-spotted-near-warnbro-beach/story-e6frg13u-1226012458302[/url]

Okibi 27-02-2011 04:50 PM

Been fishing a bit with my youngest son, we tend fish off South Mole and around the river a bit. We manage to catch a lot of blowies and undersized fish but don't have much luck catching anything worth keeping. I get a bit paranoid parking the WRX ever since someone tried to steal my plates at woodman's point. I'd also love some advice on poppers/softplastics etc. I know Fozzy is mad keen on fishing at the moment and has more success than I do.

TROLLEY 27-02-2011 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=coon84;540039]live bait is the best[/QUOTE]
Bait is best for:
1) sitting in one spot
2) being messy
3) being smelly

[QUOTE=coon84;540039]lures dun really work from my experience.[/QUOTE]
Lures will outfish bait 9/10 times. You just have to persevere and learn how to use them properly.

[QUOTE=coon84;540039]wheres the best place to catch black bream and with wat bait??[/quote]
You will be hard pressed to find seasoned fisherman who will just give up specific hot-spots or favourite spots. Bream are finnicky anyhow, and one day a spot will be firing then it won't for weeks.

Your best bet is to research and learn what structures Bream like, learn to fish the tides and go for drives/walkabouts to scout your own locations.

That is why lures kill bait... go shorebashing and cover LOTS of ground.

Rossco 27-02-2011 11:04 PM

Bream whore lures like nothing else!

[IMG]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=223&pictureid=1531[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=223&pictureid=1525[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=223&pictureid=1519[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=223&pictureid=1530[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=223&pictureid=1522[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=223&pictureid=1528[/IMG]

Sx-40's & river 2 sea baby vibes for shore bashing.....Soft plastics rigged weedless for fishing reeds/ structure from a boat.

It's all about technique.

pmh 27-02-2011 11:58 PM

i've actually managed to land bream and flatheads in the past with hard lures.
not as often as bait

last week, i lost a tailor whilst pulling it up and that was a lure
so it can be done, just takes patience and also finding a spot where you know the fish is

REXXXED 28-02-2011 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=gorotsuki69;540056]how brave are you feeling on the kayak?

[url]http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/more-than-100-sharks-spotted-near-warnbro-beach/story-e6frg13u-1226012458302[/url][/QUOTE]
More likely to get T-boned by some idiot whilst driving through an intersection than attacked whilst kayking....not too fazed really, I'd rather do what i enjoy doing, than be scared and not do it!

Bgwrx 05-03-2011 09:08 AM

went fishing last night around 10pm on herrison island for mullaway and bream. caught a few little bream, nothing special. but i did get a 43cm tailor which i will be slow cooking for my lunch ;) . disapointed i didnt land a mullaway especialy after a few realy big runs but as soon as i got to my big rod the run stopped, but i geus fishing is all about the one that got away ;) only disapointing thing was the insane amount of misquitos

Bgwrx 07-03-2011 10:47 AM

had another good night fishing, 20+ bream in 4 hrs at herrison island, kept the two biggest for dinner. best thing was no mozzies this time

Rossco 07-03-2011 11:13 AM

Bit of and eye opener, it can take up to 5 years for a Bream to reach legal size, a Bream of 30 odd cm could be as old as 30 years and Bream can live to over 60 years.

I wouldn't eat anything that has a 30 year build up of suburban river toxins......

TROLLEY 07-03-2011 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=Rossco;542801]I wouldn't eat anything that has a 30 year build up of suburban river toxins......[/QUOTE]
Let alone the fish that size and age are really needed for spawing/breeding.
Anything over say ~32cm tastes like shit anyhow. Flathead are a far better eating fish imo.