Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level
Default GST the Tax we Had to Have

Interesting read:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/...-1225982236557

Problem Howard Government?
<insert troll face at own leisure>
Old 05-01-2011, 10:02 AM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Its Labor's fault

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-01-2011, 10:11 AM

BALISTC knows their stuff

These comments sum up the argument completely..

Quote:
Independent senator Nick Xenophon also slammed the campaign, accusing the retailers involved of hypocrisy.

"It's extraordinary to hear Myer, David Jones, Harvey Norman and Target all claiming they want a level playing field when . . . the extraordinary market power of these very businesses has put enormous pressure on the small business sector," he said.

"It's like watching Goliath pretend he's David."
Quote:
The Council of Small Business of Australia supports the overall cause but said the group's call for a "level playing field" was "two-faced".

"We see the big retailers ... having a good old-fashioned whinge and even deciding to set up stores offshore to dodge the GST," said COSBOA executive director Peter Strong.

"This is laughable given that these large retailers have helped push many small retailers out of business.

"It's quite stunning that they would turn around and say, 'Woe is me, this is unfair', when they've been doing exactly the same thing for two decades now."
So basically, the big retailers can go and suck a big fat dick.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
So basically, the big retailers can go and suck a big fat dick.
Quoted for the Joe for PM movement incorporated.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:36 AM

mARC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle View Post
Quoted for the Joe for PM movement incorporated.
No good mate, he always want to replace stuff, can't be good for the already foobar Australia wide debt
Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

We are being ripped off like fools in Australia.

Put duty and GST on imports, most products will still be cheaper than buying it locally.

For example, you designer polo shirt in Myers etc is ~$100. Same shirt in USA $30. Add GST and Duty it is now $36.30. Now when it comes to Australia some government official is going to have to send me some forms to fill in, calculate my duty and GST for me to give the government $6.

Yeah that's going to be worth it.

I doubt many people are taking the risk to shop overseas to make a 10% saving. I know that if I can purchase a $1000 item locally, but it is going to cost $900 from overseas, I'm more likely to shop locally and retain a warranty etc. And that is the worst case scenario.

I know when I go to purchase something locally and it is double/triple the cost to buy online (even from Australian online shops), I know we are just being taken for a ride.

The big retailers problem is now most people have the internet on their phones making price checks for impulse buys very easy. Perhaps if they dropped their crack prices back to the standard international rates, more people would buy local. However, I still think more people buy local and the big retailers are just using this as the excuse to justify their low sales this Christmas.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Sir AntiLag

MadDocker at standard level

It's a double edged sword and I would hate to own a retail store. Yes, the prices are crack pipe spec but with rent, insurance, high wages, taxes, keeping your own big fat profit margin and luxury bayliner etc etc it wouldn't be all fun. People want cheap product with great service but wouldn't work hard for cheap wages.

I buy online because it's value for money and I don't have to deal with arrogant pieces of shit in the stores. The more people shop online the harder it is going to get for retailers and they will have to change their business model to stay afloat.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 PM

BALISTC knows their stuff

The thing is, if the price was a little bit more (20%, 30%), I'd probably buy here.. but in most cases, its 100%, 200% or even 300% more expensive buying locally!

For example, I'm looking at buying a watch for my mrs for her 30th.. local quotes on the watch I'm looking at range from $2,500 up to $5,500 depending on which one I choose in the series.

Can get the same watch overseas from a reputable retailer for $1,380 LANDED (INCLUDING GST AND CUSTOMS DUTY) for the cheaper one, up to $2,090 LANDED for the more expensive one!! That includes the BULLSHIT 10% GST and 5% Customs Duty!!!

As much as i want to support local retail, when they're selling big ticket items for RRP and refusing to budge more than a few percent on the price, I know we're getting ripped.. its because the Australian consumer is conditioned to pay too much for everything, and its been happening for too long, so they continue to do it.

I deal with retailers on a daily basis in my work (retail and shopping centre management), and if you saw the sorts of lifestyles the owners of these businesses are living, you'd understand my disdain at what price they're selling things for, especially compared to how much they originally pay for them. Hundreds of percent of mark up are the norm in many different retail categories!! They've been killing the pig for WAY too long in my opinion, time to talk with your feet and walk away.

P.S. the biggest rip off category is jewellery and health foods.. 1000% mark ups are normal for each of these.

Last edited by BALISTC; 05-01-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Sir AntiLag

bumpstop at standard level

I'm not going to get into a big argument about online sales, but it's getting pretty tiring being used a showroom and advice outlet for people to then go buy from the net.
Online sales is certainly making my future prospects look uncertain
Old 05-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Lucifer at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
P.S. the biggest rip off category is jewellery and health foods.. 1000% mark ups are normal for each of these.
I was thinking car parts....

Tags
gst, tax