Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

View Poll Results: Do you support flood tax?
Yes 24 18.32%
No 85 64.89%
I already donated... 22 16.79%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-01-2011, 07:01 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Dr_Rock at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle View Post
so why should we be paying for Labors political gain in 3 years time.... if we were 6 months out from an election there would be no tax. They just hope voters have a short memory and come next election this will be a distant memory.

Most Australians are stupid. They get their opinions from Today Tonight and tabloid newspapers. Politicians from all sides play to this.
Just read the previous pages of this shit discussion. I would not have bothered commenting at all, but I had beers today and my inhibitions dropped.
Old 30-01-2011, 12:43 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

lad at standard level

The general consensus I'm reading here is most don't mind paying an extra few hundred to help out fellow Australians. My issues with this tax is I have no confidence in this government's ability to spend said money wisely. Even though I am in IT I have been an opponent of the NBN (also make no mistake it will be a Web Filter) before these floods as I believed the $40 Billion would be better spent on healthcare - after these events I am even more amazed the NBN is still to go ahead while families that are already stretched financially are being asked to pay more tax.
Old 31-01-2011, 01:12 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

I am not totally opposed to a levy for this, but I dont want a single cent going towards any non-goverment owned infrastructure, especially to those people that didnt have insurance.

I also think it should be flat fee for all, and that no one should be exempt.
Old 31-01-2011, 01:13 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by lad View Post
The general consensus I'm reading here is most don't mind paying an extra few hundred to help out fellow Australians. My issues with this tax is I have no confidence in this government's ability to spend said money wisely. Even though I am in IT I have been an opponent of the NBN (also make no mistake it will be a Web Filter) before these floods as I believed the $40 Billion would be better spent on healthcare - after these events I am even more amazed the NBN is still to go ahead while families that are already stretched financially are being asked to pay more tax.
The NBN is an investment into our economic future. Its not a luxury, its a necessity.
Old 31-01-2011, 01:51 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
The NBN is an investment into our economic future. Its not a luxury, its a necessity.
Also in IT & definitely agree. If the NBN doesn't happen now, when will it happen? Will it ever happen?

Just because some people can get "upto" 24Mbps doesn't mean they do. Libs plan was full of fail as far as % spend vs available bandwidth.

Shits me to tears that I cannot get ADSL2+ without moving house - and also having to pay $40-$50 a month for an inferior service.......

Prior to Telstra privatisation the government would have been forced to have invested $$ in the network prior to a massive upgrade such as NBN.

But back to flood tax - yes it blows chunks having to have yet another tax imposed, but I really dont mind helping out fellow Aussies. But where the hell do you draw the line? I am sure if there was a minor flood that only affected a couple of suburbs in Perth, we wouldnt get federal assistance. What about the friggen hail storm last year? Bush fires anyone?

But also..... what about the people in Carnarvon? Completely fucken shafted.
Old 31-01-2011, 02:02 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

lad at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post

"Labor will make the investment necessary to secure our economic future and deliver the National Broadband Network."
Stephen Conroy Minister for Broadband, Communications & the Digital Economy

Thank you for taking the time to post on this forum Minister...err Smokey!
Old 31-01-2011, 02:11 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by lad View Post
"Labor will make the investment necessary to secure our economic future and deliver the National Broadband Network."
Stephen Conroy Minister for Broadband, Communications & the Digital Economy

Thank you for taking the time to post on this forum Minister...err Smokey!
Geez no need to discredit me by quoting Conroy!! :P
Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

So the government can find billions of dollars to help out foreign countries in times of need ie Indonesia and their floods, yet when it's our fellow countrymen in need they expect to hike up the taxes to cover the expense, even though there is already money in the budget set aside for just this instance they refuse to use it as they have vowed to get the budget into surplus. I'm sure that Australians can deal with the budget taking a few years longer to get into surplus than originally planned, rather than putting all the funds from this levy into a government account where it will be leached away and barely do the job it's intended for. People have already donated millions of dollars to the Qld flood victimsthrough different charities and organisations, only to now be forced to donate more. They are also proposing to push back other projects to fund the Qld repairs, but if the levy is in place to cover the Qld costs then why is there a need to scrap/push back other projects??? The whole thing is just being used as a government money grab to further line their coffers.

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

http://www.news.com.au/national/labo...-1226004851518

next month, a tax on sun light.

Long live the WRC
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Fuck she's ugly.

Tags