Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

It's a shame it's like that, however, having seen what one of my kids is going through with their landlord nothing surprises me any more.

So far the Landlord:
  • Has provided one receipt
  • HAs tried to make a lodger sign a residential tenancy agreement for a room
  • Has tried to reclaim water costs for a period he wasn't in the house
  • Has failed to provide a "lodgers agreement" to sign (I did forward one provided by UWA student services)
  • Turns up whenever they feel like it (although it is a lodging but the landlord doesn't live there)
  • Send prospective lodgers over without notice and expects my son to guide and introduce them - usually as he's just returned from work.
  • Failed to fix notified leaking taps - then claims excess water?
  • Failed to provide extra security locks as requested before occupation.
  • Has NEVER provided an invoice
  • Has charged extra per week for consumables but not provided invoices or copy of bills to confirm
  • Claims that even though he is a lodger he is bound by a "fixed term" agreement
  • Continues to deny that they are required to lodge a bond - perhaps that's why we won't provide one to you
  • Has taken the bond of the previous 2 tenants for "unpaid costs" - lucky they were foreign travelers.

I could on for days. It's landlords like that that give all the decent ones a bad name. Amazingly - she knows I am a property manager.

Regardless, she will get a rude shock, having now given notice to vacate, when my son refuses to pay unsubstantiated bills without any formal written agreement or substantiated invoices and proper invoicing and receipt of funds by their tenant.

She'll probably get a bigger shock when she is audited by the tax department . . . trading without providing an invoice ... I wonder why that is?

In the end that what is upsetting is that this isn't how I have ever conducted my business of managing tenants. I have had many tenants in the same retail/commercial premises for periods of many decades. You don't achieve that by being a manipulative and corrupt landlord.

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 25-08-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: ABN not necessary for residential
Old 24-08-2011, 04:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

andrewp at standard level

Why does she need an ABN for renting out a property? Unless the property is owned in a business name, the rent she gets is just personal income and provided she declares that income on her tax assessment there isn't any issue with the ATO

Also, section 18c doesn't apply to a fixed term lease. Virtually all properties are rented on a fixed term, usually 6 or 12 months, and on this basis the lease remains in place if the property is sold to someone else
Old 24-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

^ Whs. Fixed term is called fixed for a reason. Pisses off the sales guys too
Old 24-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

wrx oh oh at standard level

Happened to me some years ago. All good - -Visitors left no footprints and took nothing.
Agents have to supervise visitors but cannot watch all the time. so ,check with the agent if they have insurance for theft.
When I was selling a house with tenants in it I agreed to pay them $500 if the house sold - that gets cooperation and tidyness. You could ask.
Old 25-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewp View Post
Why does she need an ABN for renting out a property? Unless the property is owned in a business name, the rent she gets is just personal income and provided she declares that income on her tax assessment there isn't any issue with the ATO
You are correct - individuals don't need an ABN for a residential property.

Lack of invoicing and statements?

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 25-08-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 25-08-2011, 10:23 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

andrewp at standard level

You don't need to invoice for rent, receipts for rent paid are absolutely essential though
Old 25-08-2011, 12:36 PM
STI Master

gorotsuki69 at standard level

if rent is paid by EFT then there is no need for a paper receipt. A bank statement is sufficient proof of payment.
Old 25-08-2011, 12:50 PM

It's simply to provide invoices and receipts by any residential landlord and to not provide them is simply poor business. We do and always have - I can also provide an up to date statement any time a tenant requests it.

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 25-08-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 25-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Further to the above, my son advised me that he has two new flatmates EXCEPT they have a fixed term lease for the whole of the house.

Obviously the landlord forgot about the room / lodging she was renting to my son and which he has paid for in advance.
Old 26-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Unless the landlord is hot with big ass titties and does daily bedroom inspections in lingerie... I'd move!

Tags
hide the dildo & vibrator if you're worried, property, rental, rights, tenants