Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

New, no chance on any Ultegra on a $1500 bike.

You can buy ultegra equipped bikes that cost $5k, depending on what frame and other components they're fitted to. Rims and frame set are also an important consideration.

If you find anything you like, post it up here and we will advise as best we can.

Again, go used. I know someone who bought an as new Campagnolo Record (equivalent to Shimano's top of the range Dura Ace group) equipped carbon fibre road bike for less than $2k on Gumtree.
Old 24-11-2012, 12:42 PM

BALISTC knows their stuff

Ps the Malvern Star Oppy in Kyms link above, with the 105 group set, would be a good starting point if you could get it for around $400..

*edit* Although looking at it again, it's really small.. Midget spec.
Old 14-12-2012, 10:35 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Joshiemitsu at standard level

As far as computers go- don't bother forking out for a garmin if you don't want to monitor heart rate or map your ride. As above cateye or sigma units will do just fine for speed, dist, cadence etc. I run one on my fixie because I had one spare and it's no frills but works well.

But you can't beat an SRM- if your cashed up and looking to seriously monitor your training you simply can't beat them: SRM

As far as a roadie @ $500 you'd be lucky to get anything second hand that's worth riding.
Unless you know a mate selling something cheap youd be lucky to get a bike with ultegra for less than $1500.

Decent bike shops that are well respected in the competitive scene: Glen Parkers Nedlands, Cyclemania, Ride Advice...

P.s Koga & Cervelo FTW
Old 15-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
New, no chance on any Ultegra on a $1500 bike.
Bought my roadie from Torpedo7. Full carbon fibre frame, (2yr warranty on the frame) Ultegra gearset and delivered for under $1500. I cant fault it, for my purposes of commuting to work and keeping fit it is faultless.

I was NEVER interested in cycling until the guys at worked kept egging me on. So I bit the bullet, bought this bike 6 months ago and now ride 2-3 times a week. (35km round trip). Awesome fun, great workout and its a bonus flying past the cars stuck on the freeway

This is the exact bike that I bought...

KDNC Swift Ultegra Carbon Road Bike | Buy Bikes - Road Bike Online | Shop @ Torpedo7

Cheers
Zombee
Old 15-12-2012, 05:30 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee View Post
Bought my roadie from Torpedo7. Full carbon fibre frame, (2yr warranty on the frame) Ultegra gearset and delivered for under $1500. I cant fault it, for my purposes of commuting to work and keeping fit it is faultless.

This is the exact bike that I bought...

KDNC Swift Ultegra Carbon Road Bike | Buy Bikes - Road Bike Online | Shop @ Torpedo7

Cheers
Zombee
That bike is a good price, however have a look at the crank-set and brakes mate, if that is the exact bike you bought- it came without the ultegra 6700 cranks- which are the most expensive part of the driveline- and brakes. Hence the reason they can sell them at such good prices.

Beware of this in bike shops too- if they are using the Ultegra, Campagnolo, Dura-ace, or Sram Red name as a selling point, make sure of what you are actually buying- i.e its no use having Dura-ace levers with a shitty 105 derailuer slapped on to save costs.
Old 15-12-2012, 05:45 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

safe at standard level

Go see Ross @ Joondalup City Cycles (JCC).
He is the co owner and also a fellow Subaru owner...I think he is a member on here as well.
I have known Ross for quite a few years and he is a top guy with lots of experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to safe For This Useful Post:
rosscotd105 (16-12-2012)
Old 15-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshiemitsu View Post
That bike is a good price, however have a look at the crank-set and brakes mate, if that is the exact bike you bought- it came without the ultegra 6700 cranks- which are the most expensive part of the driveline- and brakes. Hence the reason they can sell them at such good prices..
Good spot!! I'm new to cycling and didn't even notice this! The bike is still great for a newbie like me and for my commute to work. It'll never do more than that, so I'm happy with it Maybe in the future I'll look at some of the more flashy bikes that the guys at work have..
Old 16-12-2012, 01:54 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee View Post
Good spot!! I'm new to cycling and didn't even notice this! The bike is still great for a newbie like me and for my commute to work. It'll never do more than that, so I'm happy with it Maybe in the future I'll look at some of the more flashy bikes that the guys at work have..
Yeah for sure,
There is nothing wrong with FSA cranks or Tektro brakes. In fact anything Ultegra(Shimano), Force(SRAM) or Veloce(Campagnolo) and above is just wank factor. No average joe weekend warrior could notice or require any difference in performance that the extra couple of $k buys you.

I have owned Ultegra, and now own Red(Road) and Dura-Ace(Track) (yes i'm a wanker) and to be honest- There isn't a huge amount of difference other than appearance and weight. If i was in the market to buy again, I'd look for spending most of the dollars on frameset, and wheels- and get a mid-range groupset. If you keep it well maintained, it'll run as smooth as any $3-4k groupset.
Old 31-12-2012, 04:00 PM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Need a new set of 700x23 tyres. Anyone have any links to good buys or hookups? I like Michelin tyres. Dont like Gatorskins.

Help is appreciated.

http://kap.industries/
Old 31-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Subaru Tech Division

magic1 knows their stuff

wiggle

Tags
bike, coffee, cycling, ride, road