Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-lang View Post
Haha so true but in saying that after a year of trying finally got a start. I was at higginsvile
Yeah, putting up with a few morons is worth it, if it gets your foot in the door.
Higginsville, well, more than likely we would have run into each other a few times and never knew it, I was and still am at that site.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
STI Master

steve-lang knows their stuff

Hahaha small world.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexxar View Post
Driller offsider is probably one of the easiest to get into the mining industry with no qualifications.
There are companies out there always looking for people and some of them are willing to take in people with little to no experience
Its a shit job from what I've heard but its an OK stepping stone onto something bigger.
or if you stick with it the pay is very good as soon as you title moves from offsider to relief driller, driller1, driller2 etc then jump ship and go oil and gas thats my plan anyways
Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ewrxion87 at standard level

agree with all of this, been in the industry since i was 20 so for past 5 years... still learning everyday and still paying for my own training to further my skills unless of course its inhouse.

realistically if your not a supervisor...uld be expecting between 3-500 a day on the typical mine site.
contractors/ supervisors like myself or shutdown crew you generally double that figure but its no long term.

if you dont like excessive heat or excessive cold and dirty conditions then its not for you...if you dont like people and woking hard and getting along with those next to you...then its not for you.
small rooms, lots of flights in and out...limited after work things to do -pub or gym in most cases...

no one likes a winger...so if your a complainer...dont even bother because ul be on the first window seat home...

safety is absolutely everything on a minesite so id suggest to go and do a cert 3 as a minimum... i wouldnt even look at your resume if there was no safety induction of sorts on there...white card/ blue card etc...
harsh......but realistic...

try hays, mms, rms, cxc global, morris, ess.... boart longyear are hiring, cat and westrac are also hiring att he moment with 2 more construction sites opening up east of WA.

id suggest aiming really low -like a cleaner...then get mobilised to site...look on the notice boards and apply within once onsite. mobilisation is the hardest and longest part. medical DNA test...inductions etc...all take time.

we all work hard up there on 12-14 hr shifts....and put up with it...so we can enjoy things like our cars when we get home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
First thing I would do is avoid listening to people saying you can make $1-2k per 12 hour shift. Yes it is possible to achieve these kind of jobs after a long period of time working your way up and fighting every other bugger out there for the job.

Yes you will hear all these stories of people making $150/hr as a peggy filling up the coffee machine in the smoko hut. Try and find one of them who will show you a payslip proving it. Others will tell you of the great rate they are getting, but fail to tell you it is only for a 2 week shutdown, not their normal salary for the year.

Starting off, your pay will be shit to average shit. To be blunt, you have nothing that any company 'needs' compared to any one else out there. Be prepared for that and don't be disgruntled that you aren't making $300k/year like The West keeps saying everyone is.

Be prepared for a lot of long hard work. The hardest issue (and the reason why companies ask for prior experience) is not actually doing the work. It's keeping sane after hours. A lot of sites now have a lot for people to do after hours to help with this. Make sure you research where you are going and you are happy with that.

Be prepared to spend a lot of your own money furthering your skills. Don't expect an employer to just instantly send your on lots of courses.

If you have absolutely no experience, I would be looking for local work first. i.e. If you want to be a TA for boilermakers, pipe fitters, welders on a site, I would be applying for a local workshop position to learn what people do, what the lingo is and what is expected of you.

As others have said, put your name down with recruitment companies. Talk to friends to find any position going.

Best of luck.

P-West TMIC / ecutek / HF CAI / Turbosmart / Apexi / Federal / 19psi / bc racing & whiteline / Perrin Performance / Rays
Old 04-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

You could always get into process plant design drafting and earn similar $$ while staying here in Perth.

I'm in structural and good designers are earning over $100/hr. Mechanical and pipers would be the same.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Buy a shovel.
ewrxion87 likes this.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Rob83 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee View Post
You could always get into process plant design drafting and earn similar $$ while staying here in Perth.

I'm in structural and good designers are earning over $100/hr. Mechanical and pipers would be the same.
What qualifications do I need to do this I'm currently a instro electrician would rather work in Perth I'm currently working in Leinster underground
Old 04-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob83 View Post
What qualifications do I need to do this I'm currently a instro electrician would rather work in Perth I'm currently working in Leinster underground
What field of design do you wish to be in? Generally there is Structural, Mechanical (platework) and Piping and Electrical, (which I assume you would be leaning towards)

I know with Structural, Mechanical and Piping, you generally need a diploma in Mechanical or Strucural engineering, although this is not a pre-requisite.

Some companies will hire you as a trainee drafter and you can either get your diploma while working, or they wont even bother making you get one.

Not sure if you need to get any formal qualifications for electrical design drafting, but with your experience I reckon you get at least get a look in.

Remember though, like any new career, you don't earn the good $$ until you've been around for awhile.

There is PLENTY of work out there for designers
Old 04-07-2012, 02:33 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

DZENCI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-lang View Post
Company called Australian Contract Mining (ACM) take alot of 'greenies' i got a start there as a nipper. Only qualification i had was a diploma in horticulture. (so not relevant). Good sites about $390 shift rate when you start. Get on a bogger and its about $700. Office is in west Perth.
ACM have to be one of the worst contractors out there. At the interview got promised all sorts of stuff. Got to the alacer mine site in Higginsville and all was different. The girls that sit in the office in West Perth have no idea what goes on at their sites, talk shit to get people out there.
The OH's department was the main reason i left. On the induction day with greenies first time UG, they weren't even shown how to scale properly or how to use the damn scaling bar. Being at other sites where I was shown how to do things the right way made me think that the safety representatives had no idea what they're supposed to do at this site. The amount of short cuts taken is very sad.
However Barminco is way better than ACM, worked for them couple years and never had any dramas.
Mining has changed since the first time I started working underground. You had to earn up and work like a slave to move up the ladder and yet till today I'm still learning.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:37 PM
STI Master

steve-lang knows their stuff

Correct i was chucked in the deep end. Got taught to scale after a near miss

Tags
jobs, mining