Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommo View Post
I'm the oppresite to everyone else, I would not spend the money on any of the training courses as Rio does not recognize any of them, they will give you any training that you will require and the inductions are far more indepth than a marcsta or blue card.

On a 2 and 1 roster as a fixed plant or mobile plant operator ball park is about 115k pa. Guys that do shut downs etc will earn more but are never in the same place long, and may not have a set roster.
How do you get a position as a fixed plant or mobile plant operator with no prior experience? I seriously doubt Rio is going to invest in training a complete green person with no history. This is what people are saying by spending your own time getting skills prior to applying for these jobs. I'm not going to rock up to Rio saying 'train and pay me as an engineer kthx', they will want to see a degree first. Same same for nearly any other role.

They will make you re-do the training to ensure you are compliant though.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
How do you get a position as a fixed plant or mobile plant operator with no prior experience? I seriously doubt Rio is going to invest in training a complete green person with no history. This is what people are saying by spending your own time getting skills prior to applying for these jobs. I'm not going to rock up to Rio saying 'train and pay me as an engineer kthx', they will want to see a degree first. Same same for nearly any other role.

They will make you re-do the training to ensure you are compliant though.
Right place, right time.
I know a few people who got jobs as plant operators with no previous experience. (on job training)
But yes, it's a heap easier with prior experience (obviously)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Burnout!

Yeah, knowing people doesn't count Or already being employed by them and showing initiative.

I guess I find it amusing when I get a resume from someone who I've never met wanting me to relocated them to Perth, with no prior training or qualifications for a job they won't be capable of doing. Someone who has made the effort to be skilled is more likely to get a go imo.

But I may be selecting people on a different method than the big mines. Go talk to them all, talk to the recruiting companies and find out what they recommend rather than listen to hearsay on forums.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

thommo at standard level

Kato I did the haul pack training course prior to getting a job with rio tinto it didn't mean shit. With rio unless you drive the exact same thing I.e. komatsu 830e haul trucks on a training course, they will put you through full training on that piece of equipment.

My boss turned around to the hr dept and said I don't want anyone except green truckies. This way you don't have any bad habits and they will sit on a truck for 12 - 18 months.

I just hate seeing people go to places like RMS spend a fortune on all these training courses only to find out they ain't worth shit or are no good for the role they are trying to get into.

Last edited by thommo; 05-07-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Burnout!

So Rio is accepting highschool drop outs with no skills and training them to be haul pack drivers?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

thommo at standard level

I ve heard plenty of people say "I can operate a digger or a loader" and trained people that say they can drive a loader because they have a bought ticket and turn out to be f@$king useless. This is why they are trained on the job.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Burnout!

I am very aware of the on the job training. Also aware of the useless ones out there with all the tickets under the sun.

Imo, if I was looking at 2 candidates - One has tickets, one doesn't - I'd be more likely to employee the guy with tickets. Take another example (actually had this today), have a person apply for a welding position, never had previous experience as a welder but 'willing to give it a go' on the CV, or do I chose the person that has had prior experience passing ASME IX 6G tig tests?

Again, job dependent. Which is why anyone looking to make a career change would be best to speak the HR/recruiters and find out what they need to get the job.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Sir AntiLag

bird at standard level

While we're on topic about mining jobs, do any of you guys know of many companies offering work experience to people early in their engineering (and finance) degree?

Currently trying to build up my resume so I can secure grad programs later on.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

thommo at standard level

Rio does grad engineer programs but I don't know anything about it.

As for employing high school drop outs half the people I work with wouldn't even count as high school drop out level, this doesn't mean they are not good workers.

As for your welder I know what you are saying but look at how many jobs the guy with tickets has and what his previos employers say. He may have all the qualification under the sun and worked on 25 sites in 10 years because he is useless at what he does or a dickhead that won't work.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

thommo at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
So Rio is accepting highschool drop outs with no skills and training them to be haul pack drivers?
Yes pretty much once you get in, as we all know his is the hard part.

Tags
jobs, mining