Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Yeah I spent 5 months in a hydro pool in 09 - couldnt walk out of the pool without crutches and brace, in pool was fine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-07-2012, 08:39 AM
STI Master

baylee at standard level

I had a patella re-alignment & scrape on my left knee about 10 years ago and recently had similar feelings as you described in same knee, so I tried altering my running tecnique, (the angle and flow your foot hits the treadly) made a big difference, however, now I am getting sever shin splints in my lower right leg.. Can't win..

But as others have pointed out, cross trainer + spin bike are way to go.. Vary speeds and resistance to build your lungs & heart musles will also help to build your stamina..

Zero to Hero takes time.... Just keep focued on the end game..
And well done TJ, blood & sweat sounds like its paying off..

By the sounds of it we should start a PWRX biggest loser!!! Few of us have a few (10-15) kg's we'd like to lose!!!
Old 24-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

bombers821 at standard level

Running on a treadmill will place large amounts of stress on yours legs due to the resistance giving that jarring effect on the leg muscles so as suggested i would try to avoid it until a time that your confident you knee pain has dissipated. As for the knee pain itself it could be several things but most common cause are poor running technique or inversion/eversion of the foot whilst running ... do you where orthodics ? could also be imbalances of the upper leg muscles surrounding the knee which is common in a lot of runners basically your vastus lateralis (the muscle on the outside of the leg) can tend to be stronger than the vastus medialis muscle (on the inside of the leg) which in effect can cause patella alignment issues of the knee and place additional strain on the ligaments causing pain according to the weaker side of the leg.

Either way i would run it past a physio and try get ontop of the pain side of your running straight away cause knees are horrible joints for injury and can lead to long term effects mate !
Old 24-07-2012, 12:20 PM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers821 View Post
could also be imbalances of the upper leg muscles surrounding the knee which is common in a lot of runners basically your vastus lateralis (the muscle on the outside of the leg) can tend to be stronger than the vastus medialis muscle (on the inside of the leg) which in effect can cause patella alignment issues of the knee and place additional strain on the ligaments causing pain according to the weaker side of the leg.
This is what I have

Put your leg out straight on the floor sitting up and contract your quads - if your knee cap moves up and across to the outside you probably have this issue and need to strengthen the inside muscle if the knee cap goes stright up and down then not that issue.
Either way I would go and see a good sports physio to get them to have a look at it

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 24-07-2012, 12:54 PM
STI Master

CDR RA at standard level

^^^ Good tip. I like objective little diagnostic techniques.
496 CI Injected Big Block. Carbon positive???
Old 24-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary View Post
This is what I have

Put your leg out straight on the floor sitting up and contract your quads - if your knee cap moves up and across to the outside you probably have this issue and need to strengthen the inside muscle if the knee cap goes stright up and down then not that issue.
Either way I would go and see a good sports physio to get them to have a look at it
It goes to the right.

urghh
Old 24-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

JiggyJigs at standard level

I've had patella alignment issues...it hurts and sucks. Go see a physio and get a really knowledgable personal trainer. All can be fixed but get on it early.

My issues stemmed from a the tight muscles down the outside of my thigh and a poor running technique (I didn't engage my glutes enough). Bear in mind I only weigh 73-77kg's and compete in endurance running/cycling...so it can happen even when your body is somewhat conditioned to fitness.

Tags
issues, knee, running, treadmill