Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Subaru Tech Division

red dragon2002 at standard level

^^ hey Dan how are you finding the mk6 any problems so far ? Who does the maintaining and retuning of your car if you don't mind me asking ?

Was interested in a mk6 and now not sure as didn't have luck with our polo gti which engine blew up after 20 days !
Old 30-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by red dragon2002 View Post
^^ hey Dan how are you finding the mk6 any problems so far ? Who does the maintaining and retuning of your car if you don't mind me asking ?

Was interested in a mk6 and now not sure as didn't have luck with our polo gti which engine blew up after 20 days !
The POLO 1.4L Twin Charge motors were not the best motors. Two colleges have a POLO GTI, one has just had a rebuild and the other is in talks with his VW dealer about the same thing.

The Golf is pretty solid. The only issue I had was the aftermarket parking sensors.

The VW DSG gearboxes had a lot of issues, but the Golf GTI boxes escaped the major issues. The biggest thing with the Golf was the gearbox tried to engage 1st & 2nd when starting the car (then quickly disengaged second) and causing internal errors / LIMP modes. This was solved by VW changing the TCU or reflashing the TCU.

Retuning is cheaper if you go with a plug & load controller (~$700) similar to COBB or a bit more expensive to go get a custom tune (~$1200).

I will be getting my car serviced / tuned through RAMP AUTO GROUP, but there is plenty of Euro workshops around willing to logbook service.
Old 30-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan [GTI] View Post
The POLO 1.4L Twin Charge motors were not the best motors. Two colleges have a POLO GTI, one has just had a rebuild and the other is in talks with his VW dealer about the same thing.

The Golf is pretty solid. The only issue I had was the aftermarket parking sensors.

The VW DSG gearboxes had a lot of issues, but the Golf GTI boxes escaped the major issues. The biggest thing with the Golf was the gearbox tried to engage 1st & 2nd when starting the car (then quickly disengaged second) and causing internal errors / LIMP modes. This was solved by VW changing the TCU or reflashing the TCU.

Retuning is cheaper if you go with a plug & load controller (~$700) similar to COBB or a bit more expensive to go get a custom tune (~$1200).

I will be getting my car serviced / tuned through RAMP AUTO GROUP, but there is plenty of Euro workshops around willing to logbook service.
Thanks for the info . I was thinking of a manual trans . Hmm you may have restored a bit of faith in my decision ! Maybe should have bought a golf instead of the polo
Old 30-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Thanks for the info . I was thinking of a manual trans . Hmm you may have restored a bit of faith in my decision ! Maybe should have bought a golf instead of the polo
My missus wanted a Polo GTI but when we were first looking they only had the 1.4L and my college had only had his for 8 months and it had started using 1L of oil every 3 - 4 weeks... so instantly backed away from that idea.

Manual GOLF GTI will have no issues at all mate. The DSG is pretty fucking awesome when you want to feel like a racing driver. Changes super quick and the DSG backfire between gears sounds great.
Old 30-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan [GTI] View Post
My missus wanted a Polo GTI but when we were first looking they only had the 1.4L and my college had only had his for 8 months and it had started using 1L of oil every 3 - 4 weeks... so instantly backed away from that idea.

Manual GOLF GTI will have no issues at all mate. The DSG is pretty fucking awesome when you want to feel like a racing driver. Changes super quick and the DSG backfire between gears sounds great.
3 - 4 weeks is good ours was 1L a week ridiculous ! Ye the dsg in the polo was pretty sweet . Last question I promise , you have had a few cars over the years so how do you rate the golf ? Thanks Dan

P.s if I end up with the golf hope you can give me advice on mods ect
Old 30-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
3 - 4 weeks is good ours was 1L a week ridiculous ! Ye the dsg in the polo was pretty sweet . Last question I promise , you have had a few cars over the years so how do you rate the golf ? Thanks Dan

P.s if I end up with the golf hope you can give me advice on mods ect
Before his rebuild VW had it for a week testing it and it went through 2.5L which makes a Rotary look efficient.

It would be fair to say I have had 5 cars in the last 5 years. The Golf is by far the most refined. It doesn't punch you in the face like the MPS, not as raw / fun as my DC2, more comfortable then my VE and reminds me of my WRX. I think it really combines the best features of the MPS, Integra and WRX.

It is a really really nice car, hasn't really aged in regards to technology and styling. Stock suspension and tune leaves you wanting more but my H&R progressive springs and the tune will solve that for now... but there is a big aftermarket following worldwide so parts are easy to get and not overly expensive by European standards.

The biggest thing for me was I wanted a car that handled great, has power potential with the stock engine / gearbox, big aftermarket following, less cop attention and turbo. So the Golf was amongst the ST Focus, XR5 Focus, etc.
Old 17-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Subaru Tech Division

magic1 knows their stuff

sometimes we need to step back and look at the larger picture.

In 2008 saw me quit BMW to follow my dream of engineering in 2009.
2012 not only did I meet a girl (off P-WRX), I graduated with honors.
-Proof that P-WRX is not just for gay singles.
In 2013 we bought a family home, I asked for Suzanna to marry me and in 2014 we got married.

The journey continues in 2015 with the arrival of Chloe Joanne Salter. Born @ 4:27pm 8/07/15 Attadale hospital. 2.8kg.

joeman, AWDmoke, Strubaru and 17 others like this.
Old 17-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Congrats mate!

http://kap.industries/
Old 17-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

2012 - meet
2013 - house together
2014 - married
2015 - poo factory

You don't fuck about! Congrats
Strubaru, Master D, munya and 2 others like this.
Old 17-08-2015, 05:01 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Did Suzanna have a black WRX with purple rims?
Possibly 09 WRX or around there?

Tags
1st_rule_of_rj_is_dont_talk_about_rj, ban rj9999 now, gigolo zurzolo, happy, make, rj find a friend thread, rj off to america mh370 anyone, rj only thread will make me happy, rj9999 still here with no friends & finds new bbq, things, v20