Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-07-2006, 04:56 PM
STI Master

REXESS at standard level
Send a message via MSN to REXESS
Default Lasic Eye Surgery

been thinking of gettin this done

anyone had it
feedback
cost

cheers
carls
Old 19-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

chee at standard level

ive heard it doesnt always work. havent checked up on costs. was going to check it out for my left eye. it doesnt have 20/20 vision and it cant be corrected by glasses.
Old 19-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

I have had 2 squint operations done. Has to be the absolute worst experience of my life. Nothing like having your eye pulled out of your socket whilst you are awake. I will need more surgery soon and seeing an Opthalmolagist in Melbourne next week about it.

It is not the same as what you want but I know alot of people who have had what you want done and they just said that it has fixed them up and they no longer need glasses and it feels like welders flash burns for a day.
Old 19-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Iced at standard level

i'm also looking into this,

the eyes need to have stopped growth, you need to fit and healthy, vision needs to be stable for about 2yrs and comes in around 4-5grand depending where and who does it,

not covered by private healtcare but they do cover the costs of the room, 10-15 mins on each eye you can smell the eye tissue burning. leave looking like a cheap pirate with double eye patches and leave them on for half a day.

next day should see 20/20 vision but they say the eye can feel "gritty and slighty dry" for anywhere up to 6 months as the worst case.

my mum had it done and while it corrected her long disatance vision to 20/20 she needed to get reading glasses in 2 days after the operation. apparently this is a side affect in some cases.
Old 19-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

Its around $2500 per eye - why do they price it as per eye i dont know as you would do both at once anyway

There's a 1 out of 100,000 chance it may have a permanent damage to your eye, due to infection.

Doc may advise you to wait till you're 30 to do it as your eyes would still be "maturing" now. And may not be suitable to be operated yet.
Old 19-07-2006, 05:35 PM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

I dunno about you guys... but you only get a set of eyes pretty much once..

I can live with replacing contact lenses... i can;t replace my eyeballs just as easy.

Old 19-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intra
I dunno about you guys... but you only get a set of eyes pretty much once..

I can live with replacing contact lenses... i can;t replace my eyeballs just as easy.

couldn't agree more
Old 19-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Sethor at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to Sethor Send a message via MSN to Sethor

I was looking into this aswell I was told the best place to get it done was at the Lyons eye clinic, my mum had her eyes done there back in 1997, But she did have one side effect from the operation which was some minor dryness of the eye which is quite common with this procedure.
When pricing up the operation call up over in Sydney & Melbourne, a guy at my work recently had this done in Melbourne which was cheaper than it was in Perth add the cost the flights and hotel put it to about what it would have cost in Perth but you got a free holiday if you got it done in east coast.
Old 19-07-2006, 05:58 PM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

PM : adamh
Hes had this done, i know his eyes were bloodshot for a few days!! haha
Old 19-07-2006, 06:02 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

adamh at standard level

I had this done at Lasic. Had blury vision (ie worse than before the surgery) for 6 months (I shouldnt have been driving) and then had to go back for it to be corrected. After the correction its been perfect since but the initial treatment was torturous. I have a phobia of things touching my eyes. Could never put contacts in. And they don't call the equipment by properly descriptive names like "eyelid hooks" or "eyeball suction clamps". Drips into my eyes constantly for an hour and a half... and I had the most bloodshot eyes they had ever seen after a treatment because I was involuntarily fighting the eyeball suction things. All this with 2 valium in me.

$2300 per eye. I had them both done at the same time. Not sure if I would do this again knowing all that. I only got the second correction done because it would have been a waste of money otherwise.

They said there had only ever been one case of someone going blind from the treatment and it was from infection after the fact. Had to use drops every hour for some weeks after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [W ARGHH X]
PM : adamh
Hes had this done, i know his eyes were bloodshot for a few days!! haha
"weeks" afterwards

My advice is, if you have no eye phobia, (can put contacts in etc) and dont mind having horrible vision for 6 months if they dont do it right the first time... then get it done.

My vision was perfect (beter than 20/20) the day after the second correction.

Last edited by adamh; 20-07-2006 at 07:56 AM.

Tags
eye, lasic, surgery