Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Offroad and 4WD
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

I use my sierra to do this before I sold it, all the side tracks on the power line tracks
Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by lad View Post
Everyone on here should one day take your car out where it belongs...on the dirt.

All the fire trails in WA are made for it and my 2010 hatch was rock solid at normal tarmac speeds with 4 occupants on ball bearing dirt roads. I put on rally armour mud flaps so not a mark the duco!

Took me 6 hours to clean the car back to new inside and out though
Needs more mud, like it though
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 16-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Scoobie Noobie

MKM at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Heh, it's just a reminder that other than the shell, the rally car on tv has very little to do with the one in your shed (assuming factory).

Still great cars though!
Not the case with Group N rally cars. In the early 90's a group N car is very similar to the WRX one could drive off the show room floor.
Old 16-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Wow, epic thread bump.

I will correct myself then.

By 'rally car on tv' I meant, the rally car most people saw on TV (i.e. the WRC spec Subaru Impreza's from 1997-2008). Early 90's was the Liberty/Legacy so not a WRX.
Group N in 93-96 would be close, but the suspension alone would be a world away from the factory WRX stuff.

The original post was that the road going car is not a rally car minus stickers and people need to be aware of that depending on how far they want to push it.
Old 16-01-2012, 01:40 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

tommo at standard level

Anyone ever do a Rallymax day? You would be amazed at what a standard wrx I think with maybe a set of Coilovers can do through the trees with the likes of rob herridge at the wheel..

Did two of those days And they are the best value track day there is, shame they don't run them anymore..

It's not that expensive to buy a old RS or early WRX if you really wanna have some fun and not harm your road car..
Old 17-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Scoobie Noobie

MKM at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Wow, epic thread bump.

I will correct myself then.

By 'rally car on tv' I meant, the rally car most people saw on TV (i.e. the WRC spec Subaru Impreza's from 1997-2008). Early 90's was the Liberty/Legacy so not a WRX.
Group N in 93-96 would be close, but the suspension alone would be a world away from the factory WRX stuff.

The original post was that the road going car is not a rally car minus stickers and people need to be aware of that depending on how far they want to push it.
Did I resurrect it from the dead? So in 93 they started racing the WRX in group N? I did read the thread from beginning to end, I agree 100% that a 2004 STI shares little with a $250,000+ WRC car, however a caged wrx with some basic suspension for, a tune and some appropriate tires can take an amateur a long way in a local rally X circuit or the like.
Old 17-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Yeah, no posts in this thread for 5 months...

And I'm failing to see the point of this?

Bumped it to mention that early 90's wrx's (which didn't exist until 1994 in Australia) are basically a Group N car.

I will argue that a WRX on the show room floor is not like a Group N car of the day. Maybe closer to a STi Type RA?

Now back to the thread. People want to take their car out on gravel. I was reminding people that despite a WRX being a good package, don't go in thinking a factory car is a rally car. I.e. drive sensible for whatever you have.

Now you are saying that some good fun can be had in a wrx with a cage, suspension, tune and tyres. Of course it can! But, please tell me when you could buy one off the floor like this? They are some major alterations for a road car full of passengers...
Old 18-01-2012, 10:08 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

rubasu at standard level
Send a message via MSN to rubasu

Used to take my old '98 WRX around a few local tracks minus the ABS as the suzuki 4wd feels like it will keel over at pretty much every corner. ABS is the worst thing ever offroad.
It's great fun but if you are not used to driving on gravel I've seen it end quite badly for a few mate's cars :P
Got to accept that you'll need to replace a few bits (air filter etc) and have a few paint chips too obviously...
Anyone actually headed out bush (Mt Magnet/similar) and tried a few of the gravel roads/tracks out there?
Old 18-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Sign me up!
Sti Sleeper

willem at standard level

I really wanted to take my car off road but, love the paint too much and can't see myself folding it around a tree. Would rather be testing my car and my potential at a track day and have done so.

I'm still tempted to go off road and so I have discovered this site. Maybe I’ll just get one of these as a toy to take off road and safe my daily for the black stuff.

Race Car Classifieds | Rally, Drag, Circuit, Speedway, Go Kart, Drift Cars For Sale Australia

Old 18-01-2012, 12:06 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ewrxion87 at standard level

and definately have your aircon vents on recirculate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwrxwagon View Post
Just make sure you have all windows closed

P-West TMIC / ecutek / HF CAI / Turbosmart / Apexi / Federal / 19psi / bc racing & whiteline / Perrin Performance / Rays

Tags
testing, wrx