Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Photography and Media
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-01-2007, 10:02 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

krazcool at standard level

I've never been to any cruises.....but I'll be in for photography meet ups!...
Old 29-01-2007, 10:38 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

Yeah I would come to a photography meetup. What would we shoot, cars I supposed.

p-diddy paparazzi!
Old 31-01-2007, 09:50 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rex-io at standard level

Trying to understand this all...since i have a huge problem taking pictures when there is no light. What kinda lens would i need to get for a lets say 350D so it's not blurry and that i dont need use a tripod with?
Old 31-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Scoobie Noobie

viskoe at standard level

Not canon related but a good photography site .
Well worth a look.
www.nikonians.com

rgds
Emil
Old 31-01-2007, 12:53 PM
STI Master

methd at standard level
Send a message via MSN to methd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex-io
Trying to understand this all...since i have a huge problem taking pictures when there is no light. What kinda lens would i need to get for a lets say 350D so it's not blurry and that i dont need use a tripod with?
that would depend on how much available light there is...

there are three things that can make ur image 'brighter'.

1) shutter - the longer u leave it open the brighter the image will be (more exposed) - however, at any speeds slower than AROUND 1/15 - 1/30 it will start to blur as u can't hold it steady enough with your hand. note also this also depends on the focal distance u'r taking the picture at. the inverse rule applies. So for example you're taking the photo at 20mm, then u will need at least 1/20 seconds shutter speed or faster to be able to hand hold it.

if your lens doesn't allow u to shoot at 1/15 or fastter (it says LO meaning not enough light), then u need to:

2) increase the aperture. that means going to a f/2.8 or f/1.8 etc. Notice it is a ratio, so smaller 1/X will be larger apertures: f/2.8 >> f/5.6. If you have maxed your aperture and u still can't shoot at speeds of 1/15 or faster, then you need to raise the iso. Faster lenses have bigger apertures.

3) Raising ISO gives u more light sensitivity, at the expense of noise. Usually in darkish areas you will need ISO at least 800. When it's street lighting or u need to shoot fast, u may need to raise it to 800 - 1600 or more. Sometimes ISO is raised intentionally to promote noise for effect.

Basically to answer your Q, lenses that open BIGGER than aperture of f/2.8 will be best for low light, but again, it depends how much light there is available. You can max out ur aperture and ISO and still have not enough light to shoot faster than 1/15... so each circumstance is different.

It also works the other way around for 'speed'. Sometimes for cars racing or sports shots, you NEED a shutter speed faster than 1/400 or thereabouts. So the corresponding aperture needs to be bigger. Lenses that go up to f/2.8 and bigger aperture will accomodate this whereas cheaper lenses f/3.5 and small cannot.
Old 31-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

so much to learn this thread shoudl be chucked into the photgraphy section now yay for new section lol.
Old 31-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Sir AntiLag

REXISM at standard level

i have a panasonic lumix DMC-FZ30, when i want to take a photo you have to hold the button down then 2 seconds later it takes the shot. how do get to be instant. i am very much the amateur.

cheers

jason
Old 31-01-2007, 07:50 PM
STI Master

methd at standard level
Send a message via MSN to methd

Quote:
Originally Posted by REXISM
i have a panasonic lumix DMC-FZ30, when i want to take a photo you have to hold the button down then 2 seconds later it takes the shot. how do get to be instant. i am very much the amateur.

cheers

jason

it is adjusting for the available light. there is only so much light available so it has to open for longer to let more in. the other way to get around this is to increase ISO and increase the size of the aperture if u have a manual mode. this will allow a shorter shutter time.
Old 31-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

that half the reason i got an slr as well lag time in the shutter specially if your trying to capture that special momment just hold button down and u have instant shot and on burst most 20 shots in secs
Old 31-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRENUF
that half the reason i got an slr as well lag time in the shutter specially if your trying to capture that special momment just hold button down and u have instant shot and on burst most 20 shots in secs

Yep, Nothing like being at the drags and holding the finger on the shutter and getting heaps of shots in a short time.

Get home and maybe 1 out of the 16 or so is perfect

I took these with my 55-200 USM without a tripod so they are a little blurry but not too bad (Well I think they are ok so that's all what matters )

Also came across these just a minute ago, They were done at Mt Diablo in California. I was in a 550 my cousin let me use from his dealership. SMG Gearbox goodness! I love the cloud cover in the picture!

Arty farty photo

Last edited by DAN682; 31-01-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Tags
camera, learniong, slr