Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Photography and Media
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-01-2007, 10:14 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazcool
Have any of you guys used the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM? Review said it's suppose to be a pretty good lens for travelling with. As in it's a pretty good overall general lense.
the 10-22 is a very very good lens, the barrel distortion is very minimal on a 1.6 crop camera like a 400D. I was going to buy this lens after trying it but opted for a 17-40mm F4 L lens as I plan on buying a ful frame camera (5D or 1D) ina few months and the ef-s lenses only work on 1.6 crop cameras like teh 400D, 30D etc.

like somebody else mentioned, the thrifty fifty (50mm f1.8 prime) is a bargain at 150 bucks and is about as sharp as it gets with blowing serious cash, has nice bokeh too.

Thats my 2 cents
Old 28-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by methd
hey dan

yes, a larger aperture of f/2.8 and bigger will allow you take photos when there's a lot less light. You can always use a flash for portraits but there's no way of lighting up the landscape with a flash so a really fast lens or a tripod is required.

if you're getting a zoom lens, just make sure it's f/2.8 for entire focal length zoom as some cheaper lenses are at 2.8 on only some focal lengths and not others.

large apertures are also handy for more background blur as well as desirable for fast shots (tennis etc) when u need a really fast shutter speed - and corresponding [large] aperture.

here's a picture i took with no flash. i jacked up the iso to 1600 and maxed out aperture and shutter to 1/30 (point at which it might start blurring if i go any slower). using a flash would destroy the atmosphere and mood of the photo, so a non-flash shot is essential.

Dang! That is some awesome photography!

Thanks for the advice Hien.. Much appreciated. I will be doing some duty free shopping in the next couple of weeks so I will check out the 2.8 lenses.

Have you dabbled in spotlighting yet?

I saw this affect on one of the photography forums... Pitch black room and pointed a torch at the subject.. Totally cool!

Old 29-01-2007, 12:35 AM
STI Master

methd at standard level
Send a message via MSN to methd

yeh dan,

non camera mounted light is awesome to play with but i havent got around there yet as i want a master/slave setup and two external flashes. flash photography is a whole new ball game but mainly used in portrait photography to light models from the side.

at the moment, i've been playing with atmosphere, trying to promote noise & grain (in the right setting) to have an overall effect that blends in with the environment.

Here's one that might interest you:

also been shooting a few landscapes here and there:

Photography is really great when you start learning every facet and exploring different environmental conditions & limitations, and then reflecting that in your camera settings.
Old 29-01-2007, 12:42 AM
STI Master

methd at standard level
Send a message via MSN to methd

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazcool
I just got a black out at my house just then. So the candles and stuff came out. As I was about to take pictures of the candle, the power came back on. Anyway, the point is, to take a picture of the candle with out the flash, it should be pretty similar to the way you took the picture of that guitarist right?
it is a bit easier to take a pic of a candle since the candle's flame doesnt move (that much). A singer moves his body, his feet, and plays the guitar with his hands so u have to be careful not to blur his motion too much. A little motion blur is good in some areas but not in this case.

so in effect, i had to keep the shutter speed faster than -about- 1/30 to 1/50. usually it is easy, but because there was extremely low light and I didn't want to use the flash (and i wanted the background to expose as well), the aperture size of the lens as well as ISO really came into play.

Usually ISO greater than anything over 800 is grainy, but in this case, it actually works FOR the picture as it creates the right atmosphere so i didnt have any concerns using ISO 1600.

with candles, u basically spot meter the candle and compensate the ev to about -2 ev. then adjust to suit. u also have the luxury of using a tripod or table at home, so ISO doesnt come into play and u can keep the grain away. there's enough light there for most lenses to handle with ease.
Old 29-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Sir AntiLag

AC Schnitzer at standard level

I'm the kinda guy who can't RTFM.

So what I did was take tons of photos in every single mode I can find. Took just a couple of days to learn how to use it.
Old 29-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
yeh dan,

non camera mounted light is awesome to play with but i havent got around there yet as i want a master/slave setup and two external flashes. flash photography is a whole new ball game but mainly used in portrait photography to light models from the side.

at the moment, i've been playing with atmosphere, trying to promote noise & grain (in the right setting) to have an overall effect that blends in with the environment.

Photography is really great when you start learning every facet and exploring different environmental conditions & limitations, and then reflecting that in your camera settings.
That is VERY Cool!!

I love long exposure shooting!
Old 29-01-2007, 07:11 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

krazcool at standard level

Quote:
yeh dan,

Awesome shots. That is the kind of photography I want to get into....scenery shots.
Old 29-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

looks like we may be having photography meet ups haha..

i want to learn portrait my self.. but at same time i love long exposure shots and city kinda shots..
also love those abandoned buildings and the likes
Old 29-01-2007, 09:20 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

Learning all the different styles and techniques is really fun, its a life long quest!

Pan, blur, freeze, long exposure, light painting, HDR, shutter dragging, panorama, rule of thirds, aperture stencils, flash photography, macro I love them all.
Old 29-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Banned

Mat at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRENUF
looks like we may be having photography meet ups haha..

i want to learn portrait my self.. but at same time i love long exposure shots and city kinda shots..
also love those abandoned buildings and the likes
Im in for that!

KV where are you!

Tags
camera, learniong, slr