Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Stock ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

i know, had it for nearly a year. thats why it's confusing
Old 26-12-2007, 10:44 PM
STI Master

mrclubspecevo4 at standard level

Hi Tom,

I would look at either a reflash of your stock ecu (ecutek (MMS or Racetorque only in WA)) or a direct replacement ecu (Link, autronic, motec, power fc Etc (depends on your tuner, needs and budget)).

One of the main reasons for this is that the sti ecu's were tuned for the higher octane japanese fuel and a few of the imported cars (the limited run of 2dr and 4dr sti's that came here in 99/00) experienced piston problems due to this tune.

In terms of selling your car and buying an sti..... why? You have such a nice example there, keep that and develop it further. Others may argue over better this and that, but when you have a good car, you can make it great. You will find that most sti's in the 99/00 year group will be nicely thrashed at this age (you don't buy one to baby it around) and in terms of potential, the wrx and sti's were near on identical.

For your target power level of 140-150kw atw, the td04 will handle this sort of power and be responsive down low, just dies in the higher revs (above 5500) where as the VF turbo's will keep going but lose a little of the down low urge.

My car runs the stock td04, 3" system and link ecu and has made 150kw at the wheels, it is smooth enough for cruising, has done a few track days with 2 drivers and very little rest and been used for drags and mc work too. Never missed a beat thus far. You are welcome to have a drive if you like, if this will help with your choice.

Hope this helps.
Toni
Old 26-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Toni, Thanks very much for the advice, most appreciated.

You are proberly right about most sti's being nicely thrashed which is the same condition my car was in when i bought it but in the year i have had it i have done a lot of work to the car

you say that your cars power dies above 5500 rpm, so i proberly want to run a vf series turbo, proberly a vf28 (any other thoughts/options not going for a turbo to make huge power) because that is where the cars start to come alive on the track and i love that feeling

I guess when it comes to ecu's i dont want anti lag, rotational idle or any of that crap. so if mms and racetorque can do them i might have to give them a call and speak to them. Any experiencs with them?

Thanks

Tom
Old 27-12-2007, 11:50 AM
STI Master

a vf 34 may be a good turbo option as it has both good bottom end and pulls hard through the higher rpm. quite a few guys are running this and if you keep the topmount, you will get minimal lag from it.

my link does not run the anti-lag, rotational idle etc either. I wanted an ecu that could be tuned and at that time (about 4 years ago now) and MMS had my link in stock, fitted and tuned it did a great job and provided a noticable improvement. It was tuned by steve at MMS and has not missed a beat so far (touch wood). I know that sean at allstar and leigh at RMS have experience with these too so your options are open as to where you take the car for tuning.

why did i go for the link?
well it came in at a price that was reasonable to me and could be tuned by my workshop of choice. it did (and still does) the job and i didn't want any of the special features enabled on it.

just to add, my next steps with my car are a (slightly) larger turbo for mor top end poke and a fuel pump upgrade.

toni
Old 27-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Subaru Tech Division

DarkMoose at standard level

What i would do:

Power FC Ecu + tune - $1000 (?)
Dylan tbe - $650
----------------
vf35 (2nd hand off a low k sti) - $400

Powerfc best bang for buck ecu's for classics, dylan tbe zorst will add to the performance sound, and is well made (alot of poeple using these). You should get a nice power hike with a zorst and tune, if you are looking to spend a little more i would go a 35, extreamly similar to the 34 (slightly less top end) but for the price there is no reason to go a 34.
Old 27-12-2007, 07:27 PM
STI Master

isn't the 35 twin scroll? requiring mods to pipework? 34 direct bolt on?
Old 27-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

nah, 36/37 are TS.
35 is same as 34 just roller bearing.
Old 27-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

vf35 is single scroll. Its bolt on.

you may be thinking vf36 which is twinscroll.
Old 28-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

I understand you want the car looking stock etc but the only difference between a V5 / 6 sti exhaust and a standard wrx issue one is the cat back part.

You need a 3" TBE. This will get you somewhere near an extra 20kw atw all by itself.

Brendon
Old 28-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
I understand you want the car looking stock etc but the only difference between a V5 / 6 sti exhaust and a standard wrx issue one is the cat back part.

You need a 3" TBE. This will get you somewhere near an extra 20kw atw all by itself.

Brendon
Do they really make that much power? Tim (WildRX) car made .9kw more than mine on the rexpo dyno day...

Tags
99, ecu, sti, wrx