Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Stock ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Scoobie Noobie

whiskers at standard level

I just have the stock ADM 01 WRX ECU and using ecuflash/romraider. I dont have a wideband sensor but romraider can show knocks and i have a DIY detcan.

As to the tables, i dont know how to tune them all. I was hoping since i match all the stage2 requirements except the higher CR engine, i could buy a XPT map with all the tuned tables and only modify the boost and timing tables and gain maybe 70% of the potential power. Both these tables i believe i can do if i watch for knocking.

Being a uni student and since the car cost $5000ish, paying $1500 for a tune (max motorsport quoted this as the cheapest tune they could give me) seems alittle silly.

Is there anyone in perth who does opensource tuning i wouldnt mind paying a little more for that, rather than $100 for the XPT map. Hmm i might start a new thread.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

You need a wideband period!......Tuning without one is just guessing!

The techedge 2j2 (just released, I have the 2j1) is $164
Use a current holden v8 oxygen sensor with it (it's an lsu 4.2 wideband sensor) $80-90

http://wbo2.com/2j/default.htm

Way cheaper than another $5k on another engine.

Tuning without a wideband is basically useless.

How will you tune cruise?
How will you target a specific AFR at peak torque (I'm running 11.7:1 on 24 psi) & high rpm?
How will you trim the fuel to make it ramp up on boost faster?

Lean without ping can still toast your vales & exhaust turbine.

Here's my Power FC tuning Post from a while ago.

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/29063-tune-work-progress.html

You won't be able to scale anything like the Maf or injector lags without a wideband either.

Imho I think a higher comp engine will require more fueling off boost compared to a low comp engine....Only one way to do that without fugging the rest of the map....Maf voltage scaling.

Rossco
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jungleboy at standard level

Unless you have changed your intake or fuel injectors you don't need a wide band sensor. You can just change the target AFRs in the fueling table and your done.

I STRONGLY disagree with adjusting the MAF scaling just to make it run a bit richer, that's totally the wrong way to do it. You should leave the scaling alone and adjust the fuel table instead.

But if your not confident or don't fully understand the changes you are making, I would suggest taking it to a professional.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Unless you have changed your intake or fuel injectors you don't need a wide band sensor. You can just change the target AFRs in the fueling table and your done.

I STRONGLY disagree with adjusting the MAF scaling just to make it run a bit richer, that's totally the wrong way to do it. You should leave the scaling alone and adjust the fuel table instead.

But if your not confident or don't fully understand the changes you are making, I would suggest taking it to a professional.
Not being a smart ass but....

High comp block, converted to single turbo (from twin)....There's your intake mods!

A number in a map means nothing unless you can log the data and see the results of your changes.

How do you know if your "targets" are even remotely close without a wideband??

Relying on a narrowband that can't read any richer accurately than around 14.0:1 is stupidity.

Blindly relying on a 'Target' value with no way of measuring the resultant AFR in just dumb. Fueling is never linear.

You scale the Maf voltages to shift the whole map rather than doing zone by zone. It is completely safe to adjust the MAf to richen the entire map, which is how many tuners get a base tune "in the ballpark", then fine tune any zones outside of the values they want.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 05-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

correct, targetting doesnt work that way.

ecu's still run their mixtures via PID based on feedback from the factory o2 sensors.

the target is used to tell the ECU how far off the tune is (under closed loop), not to set the fuel delivery.

the base map is the open loop tune, which needs to be accurate before taking into consideration environmental and unknown influences to the combustion.

Long live the WRC
Old 05-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Scoobie Noobie

whiskers at standard level

Ok so if my intake differs from the XPT stage2 map intake then the A/F table or MAF table would need to be changed. Which would mean to do the modifications i would need to buy a wideband.

Now the ej208 engine has slightly larger heads but everything else matches the ej205 WRX intake side (same as XPT tuned map). So is there a need to rescale MAF or A/F ??

Also you said a high CR engine would need more fuel off boost.. Why? if the timing/boost tables werent changed then yes increase fuel to stop knocking but otherwise cant i keep the fuel the same and reduce timing/boost?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

There are probably a lot of small differences in how the stock ECU works compared to an aftermarket MAF based ecu.

I scaled my MAF over the whole voltage range with the CAI so that all my closed loop corrections are less than 1% and I can pick a AFR on my map and the wideband will match it in open loop.

But the stock tune has been set up pretty well with a lot of correction tables like per cylinder fuel pulse width compensation and manifold relative pressure vs rpm correction tables that probably allow me to do this. Something that would normally never gets set up on an aftermarket ecu.

There are loads of ways you can tune a car, everyone has their own I guess. I just go by what the masses are doing over on the romraider forums and it seems to have worked for me.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:10 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
Ok so if my intake differs from the XPT stage2 map intake then the A/F table or MAF table would need to be changed. Which would mean to do the modifications i would need to buy a wideband.

Now the ej208 engine has slightly larger heads but everything else matches the ej205 WRX intake side (same as XPT tuned map). So is there a need to rescale MAF or A/F ??

Also you said a high CR engine would need more fuel off boost.. Why? if the timing/boost tables werent changed then yes increase fuel to stop knocking but otherwise cant i keep the fuel the same and reduce timing/boost?
Go to the romraider website and download a program called learning view, this will show you all the learned data the ECU has stored, like corrections the ECU is making based on your MAF scaling and what general regions it is pulling timing.

I would leave the MAF scaling stock and then you can double check your fueling with this program after you run the car to see what kind of correction it's making. If you see large correcton like plus or minus 15% then you need to start tuning the MAF.

If you want to get more feedback on all this I suggest you post this question on romraider, there are a lot of smart guys on there.

Edit: Just read in the other thread that you are already driving around with the stock tune. I would be very interested to see what your learning view looks like, if you could post up a screenshot that would be great.

Last edited by jungleboy; 05-08-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 AM

What fuel is the XPT mapped for?

If you're unsure of what you are doing just get it done by a professional.

I do my own, but I understand the risks, I understand the relationship between fueling, timing & boost...I know what afr's I want during cruise/peak torque/ high rpm v boost pressure....I am also methodical when it comes to tuning.

You risk killing your engine if it pings on boost for very long (on boost ping can kill it in seconds)

Have you done any tuning before?

P.s the ej207 is 9:1 also....

I'll download map current map from my (version 6 Sti = 207) car today or tomorrow & post up a screen shot of the timing map for you....That may help you to compare between the map you have & 9:1 c/r Ej. Bare in mind though, mine is mapped for 24 psi so it will be more retarded at peak torque (4000-ish rpm) and at higher rpm.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I really have no idea why you are obsessed with the XPT tune? Save $100 and get a 93 octane USDM map and play with that if you want? Or call one of the US tuners and get them to send you a map for $100 too.

In the end you are just going to butcher this map up, so why pay for it?

If you are deadset keen on a cheap open source tune, speak to Dave at RPW. He is doing some cheap tunes on Evo's. Probably $500-1000.

If you want someone who has more experience in Subaru's, speak to ASG and get their Verso tune. Will be about $1000.

If you want ECUtek talk to MMS or RT. Will be about $2000 for a Ecutek 3 (dyno tuned map).

Tags
compression, engine, high, tune