Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Stock ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Try hooking up a software with map trace on a data spreadsheet and it makes good sense when u see how the map trace moves over each cell.

On a WOT, the map trace just hovers in one straight line across, not paying attention to other load cells.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mao View Post
Kato,

Most people assume WOT to be max power. This is not true as rpm is only one derivative of actual torque.

There can be area above the graph as well.
Area above the curve is infinite.

Mao, go pick up a mathematics text book and understand what area under the curve means. It is not a car/dyno term.

Anyone who has studied intro to calculus in year 11 will know what an integral is. When people refer to the area under the curve, they are in fact referring to the integral of the torque curve.

Stolen a pic from wikipedia:

The blue shaded area is the area underneath the curve (ok so is the yellow, but hey a dyno graph won't cross the axis so let's ignore). What you want to do on a dyno is maximise this total area. Usually if you have a more 'rectangular' shaped torque curve there is more total area than a peaky 'triangle' shaped torque curve. Again the earlier the curve starts producing a maximum and the longer it holds on till it tapers off provides the maximum area.

The integral of torque with respect to angle (which you can convert from rpm) gives you work. Maximising work is the name of the game.

Quote:
As mentioned, rpm is just one derivative of torque.
Incorrect. Please understand what a derivative is.

Quote:
A lot of guys talk about lag and torque especially on a WOT graph. A WOT graph tells you less than 10 percent about how a vehicle will perform.
I would disagree. A dyno plot will tell you 90% of how a vehicle will perform. Applying the dyno plot knowledge to the track in question (whether it be drag, road, rally or circuit) will show you how the vehicle will perform. A true driver will use the data from the dyno to know when to shift to maximise the vehicle. A hack will rev a car out to 8,000rpm because that is the maximum rpm shown on a dash and then change gear into the wrong section of the torque curve.

If I am going to the drags, knowing approximately what rpm max torque is at and where it tapers off defines my shift pattern. Same principle for which gear to select coming out of a corner on a track.

Quote:
torque * RPM * 1/5250 = hp

I am tempted to post here. Will post up some formulaes on the dyno thread during the week including injector calculations etc.
This formula only applies to torque measured in ft-lb. Most of us prefer torque in Nm so the following will apply:

Power (kW) = [Torque (Nm) x RPM] / 9549

Quote:
You can achieve more torque at a different load other than WOT. That is area above graph, even in the same gear.
I would be surprised to see a vehicle tested in the same gear providing more torque at partial throttle. This just doesn't make sense to me. A dyno is setup to read 1:1 gear ratio's. Changing to other gears on the dyno will produce different results, but when you calculate the gear ratio back, it ends up pretty similar.

Yes I know when you look at a trace of a map there are many different cells that get used depending on throttle position/car load. A correctly set up dyno should still simulate the maximum for the car. If you are making more torque at 50% throttle, there is something very wrong.
magic1 likes this.

Last edited by Kato; 06-12-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Silly wikipedia svg images not embedding!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kato For This Useful Post:
BOMB3R (06-12-2012), DAN682 (07-12-2012), DukeDrifter (06-12-2012), RUSSGT (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Edit: I am a qualified engineer. Don't need a Yr 11 maths book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Area above the curve is infinite.

Mao, go pick up a mathematics text book and understand what area under the curve means. It is not a car/dyno term.

Anyone who has studied intro to calculus in year 11 will know what an integral is. When people refer to the area under the curve, they are in fact referring to the integral of the torque curve.

Stolen a pic from wikipedia:

The blue shaded area is the area underneath the curve. What you want to do on a dyno is maximise this total area. Usually if you have a more 'rectangular' shaped torque curve there is more total area than a peaky 'triangle' shaped torque curve. Again the earlier the curve starts producing a maximum and the longer it holds on till it tapers off provides the maximum area.

The integral of torque with respect to angle (which you can convert from rpm) gives you work. Maximising work is the name of the game.

Incorrect. Please understand what a derivative is.

I would disagree. A dyno plot will tell you 90% of how a vehicle will perform. Applying the dyno plot knowledge to the track in question (whether it be drag, road, rally or circuit) will show you how the vehicle will perform. A true driver will use the data from the dyno to know when to shift to maximise the vehicle. A hack will rev a car out to 8,000rpm because that is the maximum rpm shown on a dash and then change gear into the wrong section of the torque curve.

If I am going to the drags, knowing approximately what rpm max torque is at and where it tapers off defines my shift pattern. Same principle for which gear to select coming out of a corner on a track.

This formula only applies to torque measured in ft-lb. Most of us prefer torque in Nm so the following will apply:

Power (kW) = [Torque (Nm) x RPM] / 9549

I would be surprised to see a vehicle tested in the same gear providing more torque at partial throttle. This just doesn't make sense to me. A dyno is setup to read 1:1 gear ratio's. Changing to other gears on the dyno will produce different results, but when you calculate the gear ratio back, it ends up pretty similar.

Yes I know when you look at a trace of a map there are many different cells that get used depending on throttle position/car load. A correctly set up dyno should still simulate the maximum for the car. If you are making more torque at 50% throttle, there is something very wrong.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Kato, it is obvious you do not know anything about tuning.

I am a qualified engineer. Don't need a Yr 11 maths book.
You are a qualified engineer? Wow, me too.

Where and when did you graduate? You are talking about things incorrectly that is taught in Year 11 highschool.
magic1 likes this.
BOMB3R (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Subaru Tech Division

DukeDrifter knows their stuff

Quote:
Edit: I am a qualified engineer. Don't need a Yr 11 maths book.
Can you help me understand what is wrong with kato's post as it seemed to make a lot of sense to me.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Lol Kato, please formulate a f(x) for me and draw a WOT run.

Certifications are all on my office wall if you are interested.
shazza likes this.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Scoobie Noobie

ketchup at standard level

Quote:
Edit: I am a qualified engineer. Don't understand a Yr 11 maths book.
Ahh, now I see
Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Subaru Tech Division

red dragon2002 at standard level

Hope this isn't going to turn out into a riceman thread
Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Bahaha! Kato! My hero, I'm glad someone picked up on what I was leading to. Took fucking long enough.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

Quote:
Lol Kato, please formulate a f(x) for me and draw a WOT run.

Certifications are all on my office wall if you are interested.
I would say Kato has done all the explaining and correcting so far.

Maybe you can defend the comments with more than certificates as it seems Kato has corrected you on quite a few things. If not then admit you're wrong and move on.
Top-Deck likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
365hp and 515nm

New Beast to arrive April 2015 - 365hp, 450nm, 0-100 in 4.4sec. AMG Goodness!

Tags
07, tune, wrx