Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Your Driveway (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/)
-   -   Craig_H's Red Betty - DAK WRC (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/44556-craig_hs-red-betty-dak-world-rally-championship.html)

American Dave 09-09-2011 09:10 AM

still has stock fuel pump, intake, boost solenoid, wastegate

Kato 09-09-2011 09:24 AM

Hmm, GH's are a different beast it seems!

TROLLEY 09-09-2011 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=fatboy;605769]No one seems to agree with me but you are not the first one to have a betty tuned at ASG and not be happy[/QUOTE]

I'm happy with the tune as it is still a day/night difference in regards to the drive. Like Kato, I just feel as though it's falling short of where it should be. I'm not sure of any differences between the engines in the 08's and 09/10 apart from the turbo. Maybe there are some small difference(s) we're not aware of and it's holding our 08's back?

[I]edit: just read that the 09+ has a larger intercooler core[/i]

Maybe Sean didn't get to spend as much time as normal on it as he was leaving early that day? They looked damn busy and no doubt the turbo swap-over ate into the day. I'll have a chat to him on Monday and see what he says.

I didn't get much of a chance to talk to Sean in the morning as my taxi had arrived quicker than expected and I was pushing shit uphill to get to work on time. I left him with a copy of Mike_09's dyno printout with the figures of 267hp / 425nm and said if you can get anywhere near that I'd be happy. Most probably a partial fail on my behalf for not going into enough detail or questioning in the morning.

[QUOTE=American Dave;605782]As far as the TBE does yours just have one muffler?[/QUOTE]

Yep, cat, no resonator, single muffler at the back.

If Sean agrees that the numbers could be pushed further North, I'll book it in for 3-4 weeks time when I'm on school holidays so that I'll be available if he lets me in on the tune. Good suggestion, cheers.

[QUOTE=American Dave;605817]still has stock fuel pump, intake, boost solenoid, wastegate[/QUOTE]
I previously enquired about fuel pump and solenoid and was told they wouldn't be necessary. I might just get them anyway and go for a retune as they're not expensive items. I bought a silicone pipe to replace the turbo intake pipe but I wasn't confident in the seal of the fittings and said to Sean if he agreed with my worries to leave it off. Last thing I want to do is go looking for vacuum leaks under the intake. He must have agreed, as he didn't bother using it.

TROLLEY 12-09-2011 09:01 AM

Spoke To Sean

Just called Sean. He was sure he put around 16psi into the tune and did notice that the numbers were down compared to the dyno sheet I gave him of a similar setup. He couldn't explain why, other than to say that all cars are individual (maybe I just have a c#nt of a car?). I asked if he encountered any restrictions in regards to fueling (eg. pump or injectors) but he said definitely not.

I'll book it in for a few weeks time and he said he'll run it up and double check everything.

Kato 12-09-2011 09:07 AM

Good stuff!

TROLLEY 12-09-2011 09:18 AM

Before the next tune I might swap my intercooler over for rick's old 2010 TMIC as it will be cheap and something I can do myself. That is the only thing I can think of that is slightly different (so I've read). Might pm one of our Subaru employees to double check the part numbers to be sure first.

Kato 12-09-2011 09:21 AM

Do you have the plastic manifold?

I believe it is a right pain in the ass modification. Speak to Jester as he has done it I think.

BALISTC 12-09-2011 09:25 AM

Craig, APPARENTLY the 09+ TMIC flows about 10-15% better than the old one, but I personally don't believe its going to make such a big difference in your application.

If its little to no cost though, it should just bolt straight in with no modifications.. so it can't hurt.

Kato 12-09-2011 09:34 AM

Just remembered rick's car is wrx not sti, so should be easier than wrx to sti conversion.

TROLLEY 12-09-2011 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC;606582]If its little to no cost though, it should just bolt straight in with no modifications.. so it can't hurt.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure it's a case of a straight swap and I agree, I can't see it making a great deal of difference but curiosity is saying give it a go since it'll be an inexpensive exercise.

I just had another thought - perhaps the headers and up-pipe in the 09+ were also revised and flow a touch better too?