Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Your Driveway (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/)
-   -   Craig_H's Red Betty - DAK WRC (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/44556-craig_hs-red-betty-dak-world-rally-championship.html)

SJTWRC 06-12-2011 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;633274]
A special thank you to Steph (SJT) for finding the appropriate page for ordering the WRC plates. I couldn't for the life of me find them, but they were hiding in the sports plates section of the transport site. I owe you a 6 pack of something Steph! [/QUOTE]

You're welcome Craig! Sometimes takes a woman to find these things ;) The plates and car look great. I think we have the winning combo: WRC+red=WIN!

Saint_23 06-12-2011 07:02 PM

[QUOTE=SJTWRC;633566]WRC+WR Blue=WIN![/QUOTE]

Fixed.

Red is for Mitsubishi's in the WRC

:p

SJTWRC 06-12-2011 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=Saint_23;633576]Fixed.

Red is for Mitsubishi's in the WRC

:p[/QUOTE]

Argh yes I am aware of that, such a shame! But see we have improved it by putting the boxer engine under the hood ;)

TROLLEY 10-12-2011 05:54 PM

OK, so now that all the parts have arrived I gathered them together for a group shot. They were all very cooperative and OBAYED my every command but showed disappointment with the lack of bathroom spec location, half naked reflections and moobs. The parts will be going in this coming Friday @ STechnic and then off to ASG the following Monday for a retune.

Unfortunately due to my workplace being ages away from C.I.C and not being able to get out there in time, I'll have to forego getting the headers ceramic coated. I'm just going to wrap them and see how they hold up.

The parts list is as follows:
[URL="http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8837/img2453ct.jpg"]Cobb SF Intake (08-11)[/URL]
Silicone turbo intake (may not be installed)
Grimmspeed 3 port boost control solenoid
Unequal length headers & up-pipe
Process West TMIC
Walbro fuel pump

[IMG]http://members.iinet.net.au/~craighilton/mods.jpg[/IMG]

I'll post back up after the retune with elation or disappointment and outline the path the car will (hopefully) take now that the bug has bitten :rolleyes:

asian 10-12-2011 06:38 PM

like!!

monkeee 10-12-2011 06:48 PM

Sweet work Craig, what brand headers are those, they look noice maaate?

TROLLEY 10-12-2011 07:00 PM

[QUOTE=xsv4rce;634937]Sweet work Craig, what brand headers are those, they look noice maaate?[/QUOTE]
From Ultrex. They seem to be exactly the same as the GT Spec (and other brand) offerings which apparently all come from the same factory/supplier - [url=http://www.ssi-ex.ttnet.net/]Taiwan . Exhaust Turbo Manifolds. N/A Header & Turbo Outlet - SSI Exhaust Industrial Co., Ltd.[/url]

American Dave 10-12-2011 07:05 PM

good work Craig, 200 kw atw is my estimate

TROLLEY 10-12-2011 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave;634942]good work Craig, 200 kw atw is my estimate[/QUOTE]

I know 3 people getting 270-272hp with just exhaust, cai and tune on their 09's so something is wrong if I can't hit 209kw/280hp. Regardless, even if it falls short of that it'll still be funsters.

monkeee 10-12-2011 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;634940]From Ultrex. They seem to be exactly the same as the GT Spec (and other brand) offerings which apparently all come from the same factory/supplier - [url=http://www.ssi-ex.ttnet.net/]Taiwan . Exhaust Turbo Manifolds. N/A Header & Turbo Outlet - SSI Exhaust Industrial Co., Ltd.[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks mate. Must say the VF52 is tempting (A-Dave and yourself both running it)

Keen to see results, as you say, will be more awesome to drive regardless

Soksta 10-12-2011 08:29 PM

Craig, I expect a phone call the second you finish having a happy wank ;)
Looking forward to seeing good numbers on this build! :D

rjb 10-12-2011 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;634947]I know 3 people getting 270-272hp with just exhaust, cai and tune on their 09's so something is wrong if I can't hit 209kw/280hp. Regardless, even if it falls short of that it'll still be funsters.[/QUOTE]

Keen to see what figures you get once it's all up and running mate.

Soksta 10-12-2011 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=rjb;634991]Keen to see what figures you get once it's all up and running mate.[/QUOTE]

Likewise, hoping you hit that magical number of 400 :D

ewrxion87 11-12-2011 08:35 AM

hey mate, keep us posted on the numbers you get.
im on 272bhp now and i havent got half the mods you've ordered. id expect a really nice result for you hopefully 320+

seems to be all in the tune - my amount of engine mods arent high, infact quite basic but endless amount of tuning time has gone into it.

il try and get my dyno chart for you mate.

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;634947]I know 3 people getting 270-272hp with just exhaust, cai and tune on their 09's so something is wrong if I can't hit 209kw/280hp. Regardless, even if it falls short of that it'll still be funsters.[/QUOTE]

teejay 11-12-2011 10:52 AM

It wont go 320.

johnvk7 11-12-2011 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=teejay;635032]It wont go 320.[/QUOTE]

It might for a week or 2, before it drops its guts. :D
Still be interesting to see what gains are made, I would expect it to pick up some decent torque anyway

ewrxion87 11-12-2011 01:43 PM

i hope it does or at least an easy 300,

hes got some good gear there.

i havent even got boost solenoid, larger fuel pump or better unequal headers... im at 272... he should get there with the right tune :)

positive peoples

[QUOTE=teejay;635032]It wont go 320.[/QUOTE]

ewrxion87 11-12-2011 01:46 PM

hey man, im mega keen on the PU lip kit from N1.... how did you find the fitment was it easy.

looks super hot dude.

pm with details if you dont mind :)

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;633274][benaud]
"Welcome back to the ESSS SEEE GEEE"
[/benaud]

Update time! A couple of weeks ago new polyurethane side skirts and rear spats were installed to match the front lip (courtesy of [URL="http://www.n-1.com.au/online/"]N1-Auto[/URL]). Soon after, Hella Supertones were chucked in and new plates ordered. Picked up the plates today and went for a short drive for a qick snap to show the new shit.

A special thank you to Steph (SJT) for finding the appropriate page for ordering the WRC plates. I couldn't for the life of me find them, but they were hiding in the sports plates section of the transport site. I owe you a 6 pack of something Steph!

There will be a further update later in the week in regards to the next round of work to done on the car :D[/QUOTE]

TROLLEY 11-12-2011 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=ewrxion87;635079]hey man, im mega keen on the PU lip kit from N1.... how did you find the fitment was it easy.[/QUOTE]
Piece of piss. Just use your own decent quality coarse thread screws with a small pilot hole as opposed to the nuts and bolts that come with it.

johnvk7 11-12-2011 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=ewrxion87;635076]i hope it does or at least an easy 300,

hes got some good gear there.

i havent even got boost solenoid, larger fuel pump or better unequal headers... im at 272... he should get there with the right tune :)

positive peoples[/QUOTE]

It's not about being positive, its about being realistic. The standard internals of a EJ255 won't reliably handle that power (320hp), for very long before something (most likely a piston) fails.

But still, good gains and big smiles will be had. Looking good Craig

TROLLEY 11-12-2011 08:57 PM

Cheers John. Might bump into you some time soon or at least get spotted as I need to drop in and pick up a couple of spare clips as well as price up a replacement driver's side sun visor. Mine broke just out of warranty, lol. Always the way...

Jimmy S 11-12-2011 09:31 PM

Great work Craig! Nice little collection of goodies! :)

I'll be very surprised if it goes 300+hp, but should be a nice improvement all the same! :p

TROLLEY 11-12-2011 09:55 PM

Given the last tune I don't think there is any chance of 300. I would be happy with 280.

SKYHIONPSI 11-12-2011 10:54 PM

All look like mods that should hopefully keep the boost curve stronger over more revs, not stuff for outright power. Good luck and enjoy!

TROLLEY 19-12-2011 05:58 PM

!#@%!@#%

Nothing exciting to report today unfortunately...

Got everything put in by the usual suspects @ STechnic on Friday. It was discovered that the silicone intake wasn't actually suitable for the '08 so that couldn't be used (have contacted the vendor and that issue will be resolved, many thanks to him). Everything else went in no problems. Well, besides the usual arm wrestle getting the Walbro fuel pump into the stock housing.

I dropped the car off at ASG this morning and then get a phone call at 10:50am from Sean asking if I still have the stock airbox. It seems that my car is a total fucking spud and just wouldn't behave with the extra air. I forked out for another taxi ride and took the stock airbox out to Sean who changed it over and continued to tune. This time it behaved, but again the final results seemed awfully low. So an unused $360 intake, $40 taxi ride and double the expected dyno time and $'s later, I've gained 10 horse power...

The good news:
gained 32nm of torque
no longer have a boost surge/sudden pull at 4000rpm so it's a lot smoother to drive (I'm guessing thanks to the Grimmspeed boost solenoid)

The bad news:
only gained 10hp
(unequal) headers stole my dakdak
noticing the drive by wire delay/lag a little more

The spud-trolley also didn't like anything above 17psi in regards to boost and Sean said all he could get out of the timing was 12 degrees with 3 degrees either side of that for correction(?)... fairly meaningless info to me at this point in time until I do a bit more reading and learning.

The car was making 236hp with the Cobb intake at only 12psi. Would have been interesting to see what it would have done at 16/17psi but Sean was unwilling to push it as it just wouldn't behave at WOT.

Old and new tunes compared below, as well as AFR and boost graphs:

[IMG]http://members.iinet.net.au/~craighilton/dyno_comparison_web.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://members.iinet.net.au/~craighilton/afr_191211_web.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://members.iinet.net.au/~craighilton/boost_191211_web.jpg[/IMG]

After spending 1.5 hours watching Sean do his thing and talking to him throughout, I really think I just have a dud, lemon, lame, potato cunt of a car as opposed to an issue with the tune/tuner.

Another thought is perhaps the VF52 I purchased secondhand is a spud? However Steve @ MMS said it looked fine and if there was anything drastically wrong with it, it would probably be performing far worse right?

Enthusiasm for the car is dampened somewhat, but after Jaron posting [I]"When you're on your third motor then I'll listen to your whinging ;)[/I] and the fact I'll probably put some sway bars on in January, I'm hanging in there :p

Today's feeling is like finally rooting a hot chick that has made you wait ages before letting you attack her happy-gap and having her turn out to be a complete fucking starfish.

REXXXED 19-12-2011 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;637411]Today's feeling is like finally rooting a hot chick that has made you wait ages before letting you attack her happy-gap and having her turn out to be a complete fucking starfish.[/QUOTE]

Sucks to hear Craig! The above description would be very depressing....

Once you get the the swaybars in the car im sure you will have a much bigger grin on your face!

American Dave 19-12-2011 06:16 PM

Bugger Craig that sucks but its not the first time I have heard of Sean having problems tuning with CAI. Same thing happened to me with the Liberty and an AVO CAI, reverted to stock box and made good power. Hang in there mate.

Master D 19-12-2011 06:25 PM

.............the Adventures of the SpudVan continue?

ImPreSiV 19-12-2011 07:29 PM

lol @ happy gap!

Chin up mate. There's only so much power you can use on the roads! Just make it responsive, dial out the DBW lag and get out and enjoy the fkn thing! It's a 255, it's never going to break HP records!

RichX 19-12-2011 08:11 PM

Sean does seem quite concerned around these CAI's. Was one of the first thing I got asked when mine got tuned. Mind you it wasn't a problem in the end it seems, this is with a 65mm APS CAI which I still run with no issue on my second Verso.

ImPreSiV 19-12-2011 08:17 PM

I'm sure Pete and Ryan (developers of Verso) ran tests in the early days regarding the resinatorectomy and some tests involving the CAI's and factory airbox's and there wasn't much difference in them air flow wise....

Jon911 19-12-2011 08:26 PM

Sorry to hear bud!

SJTWRC 19-12-2011 08:59 PM

Hahaha star fish. Sorry to hear you didn't get the results you were after! Keep at it :)

Kato 20-12-2011 08:50 AM

To make you feel better, the gains you have posted are pretty much what to expect from putting a TMIC and a set of headers on.

I've always found putting headers on has decreased power, but increased torque. Have a look through and see threads where people have just put headers on. All sound disappointed as it doesn't make dick stroking dyno numbers.

TMIC doesn't create power.

3 port allows better boost control, as noted.

I think the engine design of the 08 is what is holding the car back from making big numbers (there's a reason the manifold is different between a STI and a WRX imo). Forgetting the numbers, the gains you are making are good.

As I have had to learn, don't get fixated on the dyno number. Bum dyno is the best indicator and most importantly does it put a smile on your dial...

Also, it is far more satisfying when your 200hp 'weapon' chops cars with much more 'power' :D

BALISTC 20-12-2011 09:02 AM

[QUOTE=Kato;637513]I think the engine design of the 08 is what is holding the car back from making big numbers (there's a reason the manifold is different between a STI and a WRX imo). Forgetting the numbers, the gains you are making are good.
[/QUOTE]

What doesn't add up for me is, the only reported difference between an MY08 and an MY09, is a 15% better flowing TMIC, ECU changes and the VF52... and they consistently make 270-280 at the hubs on ASG with basic mods.

Unless the MY09+ engine has some other internal changes that Subaru didn't tell us about?

TROLLEY 20-12-2011 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC;637521]What doesn't add up for me is, the only reported difference between an MY08 and an MY09, is a 15% better flowing TMIC, ECU changes and the VF52... and they consistently make 270-280 at the hubs on ASG with basic mods.

Unless the MY09+ engine has some other internal changes that Subaru didn't tell us about?[/QUOTE]

That is EXACTLY what is bugging the shit out of me, not so much the pure numbers. It would be an expensive exercise, but I am contemplating swapping the turbo back to the stock td04 and see what is does. At least then I'll know whether I have a spastic engine or spastic vf52 :rolleyes:

[I]edit: ewrxion87's car is making 272hp with stock tmic, cai and tdo4 - 272bhp 436nm(aw)[/I]

Kato - as you said at the end of the day, the gains are what I would expect for tmic + headers, I'm just pissed off at the CAI not working and was hoping the initial tune (247hp) was a dud.

In January I will be putting in sway bars which should make the car far more enjoyable :)

Kato 20-12-2011 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC;637521]What doesn't add up for me is, the only reported difference between an MY08 and an MY09, is a 15% better flowing TMIC, ECU changes and the VF52... and they consistently make 270-280 at the hubs on ASG with basic mods.

Unless the MY09+ engine has some other internal changes that Subaru didn't tell us about?[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't suprise me tbh. It might just be something in the ROM limiting output that hasn't been found. I dunno.

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;637556]That is EXACTLY what is bugging the shit out of me, not so much the pure numbers. It would be an expensive exercise, but I am contemplating swapping the turbo back to the stock td04 and see what is does. At least then I'll know whether I have a spastic engine or spastic vf52 :rolleyes:

[I]edit: ewrxion87's car is making 272hp with stock tmic, cai and tdo4 - 272bhp 436nm(aw)[/I]

Kato - as you said at the end of the day, the gains are what I would expect for tmic + headers, I'm just pissed off at the CAI not working and was hoping the initial tune (247hp) was a dud.

In January I will be putting in sway bars which should make the car far more enjoyable :)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry about the dyno figures. My GC8 made 217hp on one dyno then 180 something on another dyno. Yes it is disappointing (and I have spent countless hours trying to work out why) but at the end of the day my dak goes like a shower of shit and that puts a smile on my face.

Apply sway bars, drive it like you stole it, enjoy, rinse, repeat :D

Jimmy S 20-12-2011 11:53 AM

Just another reason why VF52 is a pointless upgrade? ;)

hehehe...

fatboy 20-12-2011 12:12 PM

You are welcome to borrow my gtps02 and see how it goes, but the numbers sure don't add up, there is 30+ hp missing!

Best ask Sean where it is, or scrap the verso shite!

andrewp 20-12-2011 12:50 PM

Also take heart that soon you won't have to look at those horrible chromed out tail lights anymore as your overlays are en route :D