Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-12-2012, 02:49 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
Next WAW is January 2nd. You're going to be fairly lonely if you go next week.

What I'm about to say will probably cost me -100 Master D Christmas Spirit points

People are frustrated because you are being stupid and stubborn. You're doing it because someone has said it can't be done/shouldn't be done/will be too hard. You are trying too hard to prove something. It's awesome that you want a project car and have a goal in mind, but do you even have the income to do it properly? You just purchased a motorbike without having a license for one yet and as Doug said, that money would have been better spent or saved towards your project. It was immediate money, yet you blew it on a bike that you can't even ride yet!

People are harsh because stupidity frustrates them. Yes you're young and mistakes are sometimes a great way to learn however mistakes are still best avoided. Where possible, learn from others instead of learning from mistakes.
Damn thought waw was on next week oh well.

Yes i'm being stubborn because i want to do this, i bought the bike to learn on and by the time i get my licence i will know every aspect of this bike.... How it handles,speeds i'm comfortable at driving and what my capabilities are, i had also been planning to get the bike first because i still need to get to work and any car i have will have work done to it so i needed a second vehicle don't worry i thought it through and i still have money needed for the conversion.

If i didn't have the money i wouldn't be doing it in the first place
Old 20-12-2012, 02:52 PM
STI Master

98kellrs at standard level

Given that this is a daily, and you use it for occasional motorsport what I would be genuinely concerned about is the 'fuckwit factor'.

It would take one fuckwit (of the thousands on Perth roads) to smash into your car, or indeed one mistake on a track day, to write the whole car off. I'm guessing the insurance value is somewhere around $10K.

Fair enough spend $8K on a decent donk, but if you lost that in a single head on smash, what then? Part of the reason a later model build is a better idea for a build is because if you crashed it, at least you'd get $25k-30k back in which to take stock, and buy something else.

The alternative is to insure your car for way more than it's worth of course..

Not having a go, it's not my money, but just make sure you've thought about that.
Old 20-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Having done a build on my almost worthless GC - I can see where these guys are coming from. I could've sold, and bought an 05 STi. But I didn't like how the GDs felt or drove.

I like the simplicity of my model. The feel of the car. I'd owned it for 4yrs before I built it, put 80 000kms on it and taken it around WA. My car is my pride and joy, I wouldn't sell it for double what it's worth. I've sunk over 45k in total into it, including purchase price - and wouldn't change that if I was given the option. It's probably worth 15k now, if that.
I know the history of my car, and everything that has gone onto/into it.

Pipe dreams can be silly - but they can also be a reality, if you want it enough. Recently I read all my initial posts in 2008 about what I wanted to do with the car. And as unrealistic as they were at the time, they have all become a reality.

So give Kat some slack - her car is obviously her passion, and even if what she wants to do seems unrealistic or stupid, it's her choice and her responsibility. Most of the time the journey is more important than the end result. Motorsport and cars are not a cheap hobby, whatever way you look at it.

That said, 300hp cannot be done on a 2L without bulk lag and a big turbo, ie TD06.
250-280 is plenty of power for a GC anyway.
Patch and N1GHTH4WK92 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jezza For This Useful Post:
steve-lang (20-12-2012)
Old 20-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Most of the time the journey is more important than the end result.
Indeed that is true. Great thought.
Old 20-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

dont know where you guys are getting your info from but 300hp is easy to get
i read just then in a mag it was done on a stock motor with a garret, FMIC, microtec ECU, along with a stock box
car looked great too with the purple and green flames
RUSSGT likes this.
Old 20-12-2012, 03:12 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Joshiemitsu at standard level

At risk of throwing fuel on the fire here, but from someone who has actually done the conversion themselves- my 2c:

DO IT IF YOU WANT TO- like everyone is saying, all the negatives have been pointed out, and if you aren't deterred yet, there's not much anyone can say that will change your mind. Just don't whinge and whine later down the track when what you were warned of happens...

DO IT PROPERLY- don't try and cut corners, get professionals to do work you aren't confident with. But be prepared to pay for their services- I can't stress enough that you WILL run into costs you didn't expect.

You need to realize it will never be a legit STi or WRX or whatever you plan on turning it in to- and be prepared for people to remind you of that ALOT, whether they do it to infer offense or not is beside the point, it will happen.

I don't regret doing it- and I wasn't a part of these forums before I had made my mind up and spoken to PROFESSIONALS(not just forum peeps) about all the pro's and con's of such a project. It was my first project car, and in hindsight there are things I would have done differently. But I knew this would be the case and I did it as much for the learning experience as I did it to end up with the car I have now.

If i could keep the experience i gained, but go back to having X amount of $'s in my account I would buy an 03-05 WRX and do the usual mods - VF38, PW IC, tune, body work, LOW & rims etc... but hey that's just me.

Listen, don't listen- it doesn't matter- you will learn either way.
TROLLEY likes this.
Old 20-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4eva93 View Post
Not a late model
Do yourself a favour. Just go take an 04-05 sti for a test drive. It will blow you away! Interior, seats, brakes etc. Then remember that could be what you have or an old dunger that no one would pay for that has a conversion.

http://kap.industries/
Old 20-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Subaru Tech Division

kid at standard level

Oh fuck i just saw the tags....ruthless cunts but so funny....

Russ is indicating that he would like to take you for a ride in his back seat. I mean front seat.
Old 20-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Thats just your opinion

I can say what I say because I have been there and done that.

Out of my 4 Subaru's, 3 have been conversions. Ive burned 1/3 of an triplex in middle class Perth on Subaru's, fuck I wish Id bought one good one and kept it.

The ONLY reason my wagon sold so easily was because it had just had ~12k (retail) of panel and paint, plus all the interior etc.

End of the day it was still a LX Wagon.
steve-lang likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 20-12-2012, 04:31 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Joshiemitsu at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
Ive burned 1/3 of an triplex in middle class Perth on Subaru's...
1/3 triplex = 1 house in middle class Perth?

Tags
balls, because racecar, boost, cat, chop chop ad, dak, dok, dok dok boom!, dokless, heard a slight tapping...... meh she'll be right, let it die, limiter launchs rule!!, lot, needs more cable ties, rattle can presentable, rip funny tags, snap dakle pop, sorta running well, stock