Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 08:47 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Will look rather tidy when you get them on bro. Can't believe the weight farken!

Looking forward to see it getting sideways soon.

Will you be ready for the sprint series?
Booked in for sunday morning. But I will be running last years wheels.

Yeah wieght is a nice and low for such a big rim. Its really decieving when you go to pick them up. You grab it and expect it to wiegh about twice as much. My 17x8 Gmax Drift 6s wiegh 8.570kg. which is only 250gms less. But they are 2.5" skinnier amd 1" smaller. And they are considered a fairly light (economical) rim. It would be interesting to see how much a similar sized Volk rim would wiegh? I guess thats the difference between fully forged and conventional rim design. Apparently the Rays Volk TE37 RT is even a little lighter than the ZE40 in same sizes. But not quite as strong design. I nearly ordered some TE37s. But i figured i had to be a little different.

I font know if the car will go sideways when I get some rubber on the rims. I think ill need to go back to the drawing board to get the hydro handbrake to lock up...
Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

What tyres will you run on the Rays? Are the new Toyo r888's available yet?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:20 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

I was planning on getting 295/30r18 yoko a050 soft.

Only issue I have is I only have 2 x 10.5" rims. And I have another 4 x 10" rims coming (soon hopefully). Now the problem is according to unofficial fitment guides for a050. 295/30 is recommended for only 10.5" or 11". And not recommended for 10" rims. And the next smallest is 265.

but 295/30 in hankookz z221is recommend for 10" to 11". (Which I presumed would be the same for a050.)

I havent heard anything about 'new' r888 yet. But everything I have heard about r888 says they arent as good as the yokos. If there is a new hottnes is tyres out there, then im all for it. But im not gonna try something without a bit of good cred first..

Last edited by Bram; 08-03-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

I wouldn't get soft in the ao50 the mediums are already very soft....
Old 08-03-2016, 09:37 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Really? How much difference between med and soft? Were you able to get the mediums up to temp at rac? Im worried that with such a big tyre, it will be harder to get temp into them compared to a smaller tyre. So going soft may be needed for that reason. Plus im going this wide for maximum grip. Yes, buying replacements will be super gay. But im expecting to get about 2 seasons of rac out of them?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:46 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Up to temp/grip in two corners... They jump from 26 psi cold to 31-32psi hot on the first run of the day. they are very easy to heat cycle compared to my hankook mediums which were like blocks of wood until the end of the first lap - 245*40*18 are my size.

Speak with John Fowler mate, he can answer any questions you have about tyres.
amtrapid likes this.

Last edited by nick73; 09-03-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Yeah if you haven't had a chat with John Fowler I can recommend it. (google John Fowler for Facebook page and website).
He has dealt with a huge variety of cars over his years including cars requiring tyres as wide as yours – in road and r-comp tyres. He'll help you with some top advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
im expecting to get about 2 seasons of rac out of them?
On SOFTS you'll be lucky to get even one season. Softs really are soft. They wear very quickly and can also be taken over their heat limit in a short time at places like Barbagallo.
Examples: Rallysprint guys get the 5 Rallysprint rounds out of them and they're shot. That's about 1 hour total on the track over the season. They are perfectly suited to that application as they're up to temp in a very short time. Do the math and you're looking at $400-500 in tyres per round for the softs!
Barbs runs you can do a couple of hot laps and that's it. They're past their optimum heat after that and just get pushed too far so you have to bring it in and wait to go for another run later once they cool.
Daniel Chong has 265 18s on his late model EVO and got 5 rounds out of them at the RAC State Sprint series plus a tuning session and a handful of half-spirited laps. They were close to bald after that.

For you I would recommend going the Mediums for the Yokies. You will get TONNES more life out of them which is what you need now. Maybe two seasons RAC (16 rounds total) plus some other events like No Limits. They're best for learning. Go the SOFTS only when you can't find an extra ~0.5 sec per lap (or say, 2-3/10th sec per km) in your driving which is what they may net you. It's a very expensive gain otherwise!
urabus, WREX, Bram and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ALEX.; 09-03-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:12 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

WREX at standard level

Good advice from Alex there,only place i would consider soft's is at the rally sprint with mostly 90 degree corner's and cooler temps at night.RAC with long radius corner's multiple laps and hotter temp's generally medium's are faster.But like you said a 295 will be able to handle it a bit better than the smaller tyre most of us use
Old 11-03-2016, 04:42 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Whats round, hard and 10 inchs long?

Got the other 4 rims today. Man im happy with this set. They are mint condition. 3 of the boxes still had the original Rays packing tape intact. They have literally never been opened. And one box has been opened, but the rim is in pristine condition. Just the smallest scuff on the bit that the wheel nut sits againts in one of the holes. They are brand spankers new. Virgin rims, at used rim prices. Gotta love that. All have all the original Rays paperwork, and valves and original packaging etc.

These weigh in at 8.620kg.
RUSSGT, XT43, Startodo and 4 others like this.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Very nice mate, very nice!
Bram likes this.

Tags
sled, yeti