Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Your Driveway (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/)
-   -   Yeti sled (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/61797-yeti-sled.html)

RUSSGT 31-05-2016 06:41 AM

What gas lens are you using and how much argon are you flowing? I wouldnt worry personally but it would be good to find out. Where both surfaces clean and shiny? Did you use filler wire or just fuse? Could be too hot. Maybe lower your amps a little.

RUSSGT 31-05-2016 06:43 AM

You should email Jodi on YouTube. Welding tips and tricks with a pic and ask him.

Bram 31-05-2016 07:05 AM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;838684]What gas lens are you using and how much argon are you flowing? I wouldnt worry personally but it would be good to find out. Where both surfaces clean and shiny? Did you use filler wire or just fuse? Could be too hot. Maybe lower your amps a little.[/QUOTE]

I was using #8 compact gas lense on my #9 torch. 2% thoriated tunsten 3/32", ground to a sharp point. Gas flow was approx 7-8 Liters a minute i think.

The new flange was cleaned with acetone. The tube was wire wheeled on my bench grinder. Then flap wheeled inside and out with my die grinder. Then wiped down with acetone. The tube was pretty clean at the weld surface. But not as nice as new stainless. Remember it has been in service for close to 5 years before this.

I fusion welded on the outside. I kinda melted the flange into the tube. Focusing maybe 75% on the flange and 25% on the tube. I kinda did a ziz-zag pattern in order to melt the flange then flow it into the tube. And i had my travel speed at quite a rate. About as fast as i could go.

Im unsure of exact amps. I was using the foot pedal. But i think i had the max amount at 150a. But probably using approx 100a during the welds. This is a rough guess because i wasnt looking at the readout while welding.

Bram 31-05-2016 07:06 AM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;838686]You should email Jodi on YouTube. Welding tips and tricks with a pic and ask him.[/QUOTE]

Good idea. But i would feel bad pestering the guy. He probably gets 20 emails a day from newb welders asking the same shit.

Jacob92 31-05-2016 08:26 AM

100a lordy we welded my 5mm steam pipe with 120a ... beads look mint on yours

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Bram 31-05-2016 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=Jacob92;838692]100a lordy we welded my 5mm steam pipe with 120a ... beads look mint on yours

using the Perth-WRX mobile app[/QUOTE]

Haha. Thats a guess. It could well have been lower. Foot pedal is variable and you do it on the fly. So without looking at the display im guessing.

Ive heard the rule of 1a per 1/1000" (for mild steel. 10% less for stainless)

so therefore 100a (90a) is ok for 100/1000" = 2.54mm. Now the flange is probably double that thckness. But the tube is maybe half that. So who knows.

Bram 31-05-2016 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=Jacob92;838692]100a lordy we welded my 5mm steam pipe with 120a ... beads look mint on yours

using the Perth-WRX mobile app[/QUOTE]

I could be entirely wrong with TIG. And i have no formal training what so ever. But when doing any welding i like to crank the amps up and move fast. More so with stick welding. But i just found that when in doubt, wind it up. Seems to work ok i guess.

Jacob92 31-05-2016 11:10 AM

Haha you and me both thats why i get other people to do it for me .. he was using a full 120a tho your pedal would be turning it down lots

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

shaunus 31-05-2016 02:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Amps are too high mate. Weld looks good though. What filler wire are you using? Are both the pipe and flange of the same grade ss? If not you need to use a filler wire to suit.

Wire brushing the welds after is usually enough to bring up a decent luster.

When I did my hard piping on my D40 Navara I pickled them after as the piping looked too nice not to. Doubt it'd be worth it when the exhaust is buried under the car though. Held 23psi all day every day. Made my own inter cooler kit for around $200 compared to the 4x4 places wanting ~$1400

Pics are from when I did mine prior to clean up. Used very little filler as i mostly fused the joins...was also purged. I am not a welder or anything, I just work for a construction company so pick up a few things here and there when out of the office.

Keep at it. Your technique looks decent just try slow down a little. Tig is usually pretty slow going.

Mick 31-05-2016 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[PDF][/PDF][QUOTE=Bram;838699]I could be entirely wrong with TIG. And i have no formal training what so ever. But when doing any welding i like to crank the amps up and move fast. More so with stick welding. But i just found that when in doubt, wind it up. Seems to work ok i guess.[/QUOTE]

This may provide some additional; guidance in regards settings - not joint configuration