Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

My only thoughts are it looks too hot. The first pic shows the flange was fully coloured up and you had only done a short part. Try lower amps. However it is still a great weld!

http://kap.industries/
Old 31-05-2016, 06:34 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

What tells you that its too much amps. Is that because the dull appearance? Or because of my estimation of power? As said. I dont know the actual amps used. I didnt floor the pedal. Only using 1/2 to 3/4 approx pedal. And pedal was set to max out at approx 2/3 to 3/4 of machine capacity. So im ball parking 100a. I havent adjusted the machine since last using it so i could power it up and watch the display while firing up an arc.

I have a bunch of different filler that ive been practising with. The welds shown arent actually using any filler at all, just fusion joins. But i did use some er308 on the inner edge to try and weld the inner join.

The flange is 304. And im 99% certain the tube is too. But yeah. Ive been researching the different grades of filler to suit different applications. There is a good chart on Mr TIGs website.

I have an extra flow meter and Y piece to fit my argon reg that will be used for back purging when the time comes. But there was no back purge on that weld shown. And i dont think it needed any. I dont have any photos of the inside. But there was very very little sugaring. Only a couple of tiny bubbles in a couple of places that got a bit hot. 95% of the backside of the weld was free of sugaring. Yet you could see the puddle just starting to surface. So i think that means the penertration into the tube was a good amount???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunus View Post
Amps are too high mate. Weld looks good though. What filler wire are you using? Are both the pipe and flange of the same grade ss? If not you need to use a filler wire to suit.

Wire brushing the welds after is usually enough to bring up a decent luster.

When I did my hard piping on my D40 Navara I pickled them after as the piping looked too nice not to. Doubt it'd be worth it when the exhaust is buried under the car though. Held 23psi all day every day. Made my own inter cooler kit for around $200 compared to the 4x4 places wanting ~$1400

Pics are from when I did mine prior to clean up. Used very little filler as i mostly fused the joins...was also purged. I am not a welder or anything, I just work for a construction company so pick up a few things here and there when out of the office.

Keep at it. Your technique looks decent just try slow down a little. Tig is usually pretty slow going.
Old 31-05-2016, 06:38 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
My only thoughts are it looks too hot. The first pic shows the flange was fully coloured up and you had only done a short part. Try lower amps. However it is still a great weld!
That heat mark your talking about was actually from welding the inside i believe. I tacked it up all around. Then i welded the inner side. Then once inside was fully complete, i started on the outside. (Theory was, practice on the inside where no one will see, so the outside looks good once ive figured it out haha) so yeah, that heat colouring i think was actually the inside welds

Last edited by Bram; 31-05-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 31-05-2016, 06:53 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Also. I value you guys opinion and advice. Im still learning and clearly have a long way to go.
Old 31-05-2016, 07:29 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

This should give me something to practice on. Bunch of 304 schedule 10 1.5" buttweld fittings. And a length each of 304 3" and 1.75" 1.6mm tubing. Cant believe how cheap stainless steel is at wholesale pricing.

Also picked up a 12" cold cut / tungsten carbide tipped drop saw on a good special at toolmart.

Thinking of using the buttweld to convert a normal set of headers into a bumper mount. And using the tubing to complete the exhaust plumbing ny way of pie cut bends. (Hence the cold cut saw instead of abrasive saw. (TCT bladed saw will make me happy if i have to do 100+ cuts and then NOT have to de-bur them aswell etc)

Had to cut the lengths up to fit into the ute haha.
Old 31-05-2016, 09:25 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Mick at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Sorry for getting Technical - Russ could be right, It looks too hot,cooking the parent material will impact the grain structure potentially causing cracks in the (HAZ) heat affected zones (the edge of the weld bead). I know its probably only a grade 304 SS but heat inputs are still critical in the prevention of cracking in the HAZ. Glad you giving it a fair crack Bram!

Last edited by Mick; 31-05-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:05 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Thanks for the input guys. Will try and work on my over eager pedal foot.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:45 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

shaunus at standard level

Definitely helps buying steel using company accounts etc. I buy all my stainless through Stirling's in Bibra Lake. The price is ludicrously cheap due to the volume of purchasing we do off them.

Really keen to see your results with lower amps. You're doing good welds so keep at it. Got a few of the coded welders in and out most the day so will grab one of them and show them your posts/pics and report back to you with any advice.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:30 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunus View Post
Definitely helps buying steel using company accounts etc. I buy all my stainless through Stirling's in Bibra Lake. The price is ludicrously cheap due to the volume of purchasing we do off them.

Really keen to see your results with lower amps. You're doing good welds so keep at it. Got a few of the coded welders in and out most the day so will grab one of them and show them your posts/pics and report back to you with any advice.
Yeah. Stirlings is where i went. They are just around corner from me.

Cool. Just dont let them critique me too hard. I have feelings.

Last edited by Bram; 01-06-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:43 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

More pics. 8-)

Man i love the Matt Blue Gunmetal rims. Wipe down with a microfiber after cleaning and it looks amazing.

Tags
sled, yeti

« red car | The Gong »