Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 11:11 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Skids.

This is my fastest run from Sunday.

Last edited by Bram; 14-06-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 14-06-2016, 11:20 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Lifting is for losers

Great car control mate and good to see the new set-up is very competitive!
Old 15-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Haha wrestlemania! Good work!
Old 17-06-2016, 04:30 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Finally got this badboy framed. Turned out awesome except for one little thing that i noticed right away and annoys me. The image isnt centralised in the picture frame. I think its sitting just a little too far to the right.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:59 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Rd 5 of the MC Motorsport WA Sprint Champs was canned due to noise complaints and whatnot. Apparently some cok-sucker complained about noise from last weeks event there. The track is on the international airport land. There is jumbo jets taking off every 15mins,and this arse bandit is complaining about some cars belting around on a track.

So instead of prepping for racing, I TIG'd up a custom coolant overflow bottle. The idea here is I can posistion the new bottle a bit closer to the battery and headlight, leaving space for a FMIC piping to come up where the old plastic bottle used to sit.

The tank is basically some 3" tube, with 2 x 3"end caps welded on. I then welded in a filler neck on top of one end cap. And an AN4 port at the bottom for the coolant to fill/siphon back from. I also added 2 x 1/2" tube bends at the top and bottom, and put some clear tube inbetween to use as a sight level indicator. Then lastly welded on 2 small brackets to mount to some existing bolt holes on the car.

It is a bit heavy. But my ali welding skill is not up to task yet. So its pretty much all 1.6mm thick SS304.

Old 15-07-2016, 08:37 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Time for an update. I know you lot are mostly a bunch of ADD fags, so i appologise in advance for the long text.

Tax time = new ECU time. Got me a Link G4+ Thunder wire-in coming. Also a IAT sensor. And the ECU looms. The G4+Thunder ECU is Links top of the line model. Has the most ins and outs, and should be a nice upgrade for the Sled. Proper speed density mapping will make the planned turbo/header/intercooler upgrades possible. And obviously LC and ALS will be enabled. I wont be doing a flex setup, instead stay dedicated e85. For the use the car gets, the added complexity/risk of flex isnt needed. The Thunder is $2550, which is $500 more than the Xtreme. For the added price i think having more ins and outs, additional wideband channels and built in accelerometers is a nice addition. I do have long term pipe dream to put a Race Technology Race Dash and data logger in the car. So the added accelerometer will be handy if i ever go down that road.

I have made some progress on some headers im building using the TIG welder. I got a fuct set of heads off a local Pwrx member (thanks Daz) and have mated them onto my old case halves. So i have a template engine to build on. I have got a couple of sets of 1/2" header flanges, with CNCd holes to fit 1.5" schedule 10 pipe. And i have 6m of shedule 10 1.5" pipe. 6m of 3" tube and a box full of 1.5" and 2" butweld elbos, reducers and T's and such. (Buying pipe in 6m lengths wholesale is about the same price as buying 1 or 2m lengths retail. So i went for the 6m lengths) I also have a bunch of misc parts like turbo safe flex bellows, and additional V-band connectors and O2 weld bungs, and 3" donut bends etc. So pretty much all the pieces needed to build a custom race exhaust.

I have got a pretty symetrical header plan in mind. Should be near on perfect equal length. Actually focussing on equal primary header internal VOLUME, taking into account the UNEQUAL exhaust port layout as seen in Subarus. (Doing pipe bend internal volume calculations suck.)

I have been practicing my welding and am pretty happy with my progress, And I have tacked together the primary runners. The design is similar to the Killer B holy header with a central 4 > 1 design. Except i will be using SS304 butweld fittings instead of a nice formed SS321 tube. My design is tucked up tight and very direct, which means oil filter relocation in order to get the header run symetrical. (I could have probably made it around the oil filter, but its alot of extra work and difficulty when using butweld, so i chose the easy option and went reloacted oil filter.. So i have a mocal M20 fiter relocator take off and remote filter mount enroute. The remote filter will be using a larger 3/4" UNF filter. So is an upgrade in its own right. Plus the mocal ones a pretty good value out of the UK at the moment haha.

I even built a 4 into 1 merge collector and am happy to use it, even though it was my first attempt. It seams pretty decent. It was my first go doing back purge. And being a 4>1 has some pretty complex angles. Ill put some weld pics up when i next go out to the shed.

Also I am tossing up whether to use the rest of my tax return on a new clutch. The Exedy Carbon D is starting to feel very tired. It takes alot longer (more slipping) to get pre-heated than it used too. And im pretty certain that means its getting towards end of life. It was a cheap second hand unit, and after 1.5yrs racing, i think i got the value. And i got a taste for carbon clutch. So i will probably get a Exedy Carbon R triple next as i was so impressed with the Carbon D twin.
Old 15-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

It never ends...
Old 15-07-2016, 11:17 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Bram, you wiring the ECU in yourself, or....?
Old 16-07-2016, 10:52 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
Bram, you wiring the ECU in yourself, or....?
I am an auto electrician remember.
Old 16-07-2016, 05:41 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Yeah ill wire it in myself

Tags
sled, yeti

« red car | The Gong »