Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
My plan so far is.

1. New pads. Already ordered. I chose this as its an easy and relatively cheap test. (Ordered from UK because over 20% cheaper delivered than AU prices.

2. RE-route the plumbing and bypass the ABS. (Basically make it like Grp N.)

3. If i still cant get it to a point that Im happy with, then i think ill add the cable linkage.

What pad?
Old 13-01-2016, 12:29 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Ferodo DS3000s are enroute.

Quote:
The DS3000 compound competition brake pads from Ferodo have been setting the standard since their launch back in 1998. This best selling compound has contributed to countless wins and podium places in many Touring car, GT and Rally championships around the world.
DS3000 compound brake pads offer an extremely high friction level at any temperature or speed and have a higher initial bite compared to other brake pads. Bedding in time is greatly reduced (up to 50% faster than other materials).
The flat friction curve characteristics of DS3000 brake pads give the driver constant predictability in all conditions.
nick73 likes this.
Old 14-01-2016, 02:02 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Re : Nissan brakes on a Subaru.

Managed to test this today with an R32 GTR Sumitomo caliper. 100% confirmed as not fitting on the rear of a Subaru with Sti Brembo rotors. The mounting holes line up. The offset is damn near perfect, maybe 1mm off center of the caliper (probs more to do with the rotor being slightly thicker). But the 316mm rotor is too big. Caliper need about 3-5mm longer legs or maybe a rotor that is 5-10mm smaller diameter.

Given those measurements, and the fact that the GTR Brembos only take a 3mm bigger disc than the GTR Sumitomos. I would assume even the GTR Brembos would foul on an STi 316mm rotor. I think you could fit an STi caliper to a GTR (with a small amount of pad overhang), but i dont think you can fit a GTR caliper to an STi. (unless you look at smaller rotor options.)

Perhaps the R34 GTR with the 322mm Brembos would fit a Subaru. Although i suspect it would have some pretty hefty overhang with the 316mm rotor.

I guess thats why you never hear of it being done. Because it aint a straight swap.
Strubaru and nick73 like this.
type25 (14-01-2016)
Old 20-01-2016, 06:44 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Some sexy carbon fiber aero came in the mail today. Big front lip extensions. And a couple of pairs of canard. Heres a quick mock up. Excuse the low quality phone pics, extremely dirty car, and that its up on stands at the moment. Also dont forget the wide fender flares getting painte at the moment, and the 18x10.5 rays that are still enroute.

shaunus and Dan [GTI] like this.
Old 23-01-2016, 03:49 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Ive got good news and bad news.

First the bad.
Today i installed the Ferodo Ds3000 rear brembo pads. Got the car out the driveway onto the road and had to turn around and come straight back in. There was a horrendous grinding noise. It was bad, so bad i thought id put the pads in backwards or something. Got out and i could see exactly what happened straight away. The fuking ferodo pads backing plates are rubbing on the biot rotor hats. Chewed the sh1t out of the alloy and made a fukin mess of it. It looks only cosmetic as that part of the rotor is pretty meaty. But its pissed me off bad. Because ive had the hats anodized black for stealth. The bare alloy gouges are highly visible through the rim. Everytime i look at the back end, im gonna see this mess and rage inside.

Anyways, pulled em out and cut down the pad backing plate to a more correct size. Used the 5" angle grinder and a cut off wheel. It seams these pads are quite meaty. The actual pad meat is marginally bigger in all directions. And the backing plate extends in towards the center of the rotor a bit too far, causing the rubbing. I should have checked this more closely putting them in. But its not something you would expect from a drop in set of pads.

Check out the pics.

Dan [GTI] likes this.
Old 23-01-2016, 03:59 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Now for the good news.
I got them back in and went for a quick drive to heat the pads / bed them in. And ofcourse test the handbrake. OMFG. It works brilliantly. The rear end locks with the slightest pull. Im using the bob jane zetums, but given the massive improvement in performance, im confident even the Hankooks will lock. Doesnt matter what setting the dccd is, and even does it with the dccd switching input disconected. The improvement in the hydro is massive. Its probably a good 3 or 4 times better. It actually locks, and it does it without having to heave the sh1t out of the lever. Its such an improvement, im reckon i could bolt on the old twin cylinder setup i had before and it would work just as well. This is what i always imagined a hydro should be like. Its actually like i have the wheel braking force of a thousand unicorns at my finger tips. Doesnt matter what speed your doing, slightest tug of the wand and instant lock with a pair of black strips and a cloud of tyre smoke in the rear view.
Old 23-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Good work, I did not expect that result.
Old 23-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Long road to redemption! Good to see the hydro handbrake setup is finally dialed in.
Old 23-01-2016, 04:56 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Good work, I did not expect that result.
Neither did i. Which is why i bought the STi MC and did all those other tests before finally doing pads. I guess if i had of done that first, i could have saved myself some serious hassles. I think what threw me off was when i spoke to GSL when i first had trouble, he was so confident it wouldnt be a pad issue.
amtrapid likes this.
Old 23-01-2016, 06:22 PM
STI Master

Jacob92 at standard level

Wooò.. soo the old set up still got it

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Tags
sled, yeti