Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Complaints and Grievances
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Sign me up!
Santa's Little Helper

Addy at standard level

I love the look of WRX fog lights being on. I don't do it because it IS illegal.
Kato, it is not an illegal function. They're meant to be used when there is fog. Ok, I don't know if Perth ever has fog, but there is fog in Australia (Adelaide Hills).
I bet if you were driving around with all 4 indicators flashing you'd be pulled over. But they were put there for a reason (if you break down).

Adi
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 PM
STI Master

Shinobiken at standard level

ok, i'm aware that having foggies on when its not raining or no fog is illegal, but whats the real reason behind this? if its something like gauges that can POSSIBLY obstruct ya view, fair enough, but what could fog lights do?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

R3X at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by red dragon2002 View Post
how about the audi LED lights?
Audi lights are written as day time driving lights, which a few manufacturers have followed and aftermarkets kits that are available. It makes the car visible during the day, which helps on long stretches of highways.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Sir AntiLag

silver_opal at standard level

When I lived in the bush the local senior sergent told me to have as many on as I wanted because that way I was seen by oncoming traffic.
Day I moved back to Perth had this hell scary huge mother coppa let me off with a warning. Yep definitely illegal to have on...
Old 03-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobiken View Post
but what could fog lights do?
Annoy the living fuck out of the people in front of you, they are totally useless day or night & only posing cocks use them.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 AM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgwrx View Post
my friend got done with the excel rear fog light, stupid thing is her model of car fog light automatically comes on when the lights are turned on. i had to remove the bulb so she wouldnt get another fine
Back in the early 90's there was a known conflict between the VSR's and ADR's on the issue of foggies. Eventually a Police Commissioner's instruction was issued that fines were not to be issued until such time as the conflict and legislation were corrected; can't tell you how that has panned out to present day but since fines are still being issued, perhaps the Commissioner's instruction has since been rescinded.

Removing the bulb in my view would make the car illegal to drive. Are you sure that there isn't an accidentally knocked-on switch for the said light?. I've seen a couple of Excel models (one previously owned by my son) where the rear fog switch is near the ignition... easily turned on accidentally by a knock from the right hand - just like the GC8 front fogs switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx_AzzA_xX
Same with us. they had all the lights on making out it was a something massive. I have great respect for police that patrol the streets and actally catch people for doing bad crimes but the trafic police are just wankers. he said to us that the cops had warned us about it before and that its our second warning so he gave us the fine....funny thing is, we have never got told about it before and didnt even know it was against the law, and when we asked for proof he told us to get back into our car.
Hmmm... I fail to see how the police who stopped you would know that you had received a previous warning since such warnings are not recorded on database? Unless of course you had been stopped for the same thing on a recent occasion by the same officer or your vehicle/personal details and the previous incident which resulted in the warning were recalled by another officer when hearing it on radio?
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)
Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Subaru Tech Division

red dragon2002 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3X View Post
Audi lights are written as day time driving lights, which a few manufacturers have followed and aftermarkets kits that are available. It makes the car visible during the day, which helps on long stretches of highways.
i see, now it is also introduced on the new 35 gtr
Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Front LED's are a european requirement now. It will possibly be a requirement here soon since HSV has them and supercheap sell a kit for them

Also the light intensity of LED's is very minimal which is why you can have them + headlights on.

Fog lights + headlights has the intensity of high beams, which is why you get a fine for driving around with them on.

Despite what people want to think, I've yet to see a law in Australia that says you can drive with headlights and foglights on at the same time. You can drive with park lights and foglights as the light wattage from the front is ok then.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
You can drive with park lights and foglights as the light wattage from the front is ok then.
I normally would do this around dusk/afternoon.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

sic-em-wrx at standard level

but they are not foglights....actual "foglights" have yellow lenses, what are fitted to subi's and other manufacturers are spot lights. I would read thru adr legislation or something along those lines to find out. But as you have said manufactures would not fit something that does not comply with adr rules.

Tags
foglights, not this shit again., police