Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-10-2010, 12:15 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Sulph at standard level
Default Waterless Car cleaner?

The other day I got a "demo" by someone trying to sell this product:
http://www.fw1.com.au/page/products.html

It's basically a foamy type spray, that he let sit for 30 seconds and wiped off the car with a piece of material similar to a chamois.
The end result was pretty amazing, it was clean, I could see my reflection, and no sign of it scratching the paint.

He did it on the windscreen, and it was also the same result, it was clean, and my finger prints wouldnt show up when I wiped it.

He did the same to my rim, and brake dust wouldn't stick to that part of the rim.

All in all it seemed pretty good, but I'm not sure if its bad for the long term?

Anyone used this stuff before that can give some advice/feedback?
Old 29-10-2010, 12:44 AM
STI Master

MY99 at standard level

I've used the stuff before on an old car that I was trying to make look new(ish). The results were pretty amazing. The cleaning wax was brilliant leaving the paint looking like new and it worked on everything. The touchless trim and tyre shine (doesn't seem to be listed on the site - they only have a tire shine now) made the very faded old plastics on the exterior shiny and black once more.

I'm not sure if it's good for the paint in the long run. I wasn't game to test it on my car as surely something that breaks up dirt and grease in seconds (and I'm talking serious dirt), wipes off clear leaving a waxed, shiny surface has to have some pretty potent stuff in it...
Old 29-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Subaru Tech Division

red dragon2002 at standard level

i use this stuff all the time on my car, and it doesn't seem to damage the car at all and the effects are pretty sweet...

when i waxed my car the first time, and then used this later on the track, i felt my paint and it still feels nice and smooth

however, after a while when the wax has worn off a bit and i used this product, the paint would look nice but when you glide your hand on the paint, it feels rough and shit house...

apart from that it is a great product in my opinion, i just need to re-wax the car again
Old 29-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

For an everyday Joe Public who doesn't car that much about their paint...should be ok. But there's no way I'd be using it on a dirty car, only a very lightly soiled one. The website itself says to rinse a dirty car....so not really waterless?

I don't imagine magical pixies fly along & lift all the dirt, tar, bugs etc right off & float them in mid air for you to wipe away - you'd be putting fine scratches in the paint...you just can't see them because the Canaubra wax fills it in. Have another look after a few washes without using the FW1.

As for the prices...fuck me dead. $30 for 3x microfibres! I can get 12 for that. $40 for a can of FW1! Ha! $140 for other useless cans! (that's about $45 each BTW) Fuuuuck. Go to Supercheap if you really want this stuff...I bet you can get the same thing from Meguiars or Turtle for half that or even less.

Touchless tyre & trim shine? So you pay double the price just so you don't have to touch it? Here's one good product for nearly a quarter of that price - http://www.chemguys.com.au/Trim_Rest...tvd_108_16.htm

Carpet & upholstery? $10 for a better product - http://www.chemguys.com.au/Carpet_an...spi_191_16.htm

FW1 are only talked about & bought by customers because they are pretty much the only company that are getting out there to promote the product. They were down here at Woolies the last 2 weeks, I went up there at least 8 times waiting for them to come try it on me but they wouldn't, I even parked straight next to them once. They test spots on your car so the customer feels obliged to replicate the result on their own car. Truth is most will buy one can, use it once & just forget about it. FW1 doesn't car because they've sold their expensive as fuck cans, repeat business means jack to them.

BTW - I hate when people refer to wash/wax style car cleaning as 'detailing'. It's no where near it.
Old 29-10-2010, 09:23 AM
STI Master

MY99 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg39 View Post
For an everyday Joe Public who doesn't car that much about their paint...should be ok. But there's no way I'd be using it on a dirty car, only a very lightly soiled one. The website itself says to rinse a dirty car....so not really waterless?
That's what I thought: when would you actually use it? If your car is dirty, you have to wash it before anyway in which case you might as well do it properly.

The car I was cleaning had a layer of filth even after a proper wash which made the paint look rubbish. This stuff helped there but on a new car, I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg39 View Post
$40 for a can of FW1!
Yeah, way overpriced! That's what the guy started at but we ended up getting 4 for $40 so I'm not sure how much of an indicator the RRP is. This was a while ago though.
Old 29-10-2010, 09:46 AM
STI Master

BoxorBeast at standard level

Yeah I bought one of these cans and now I've forgotten about it up until now haha. I agree that it's way too overpriced. After I ran out of the stuff I couldn't find it anywhere, soo I went to AutoOne and they had the same thing except different brand for only $10.
Old 29-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

hamgatan at standard level

I have two cans of it lying around the house (I dont use it very often) and whilst it does produce some pretty grouse results, there is one thing that perturbs me.

Strangely enough the can does not list any of the chemical ingredients used. Neither does RGSLabs website.

I was speaking with a mate who was in car detailing before about the product and he basically said dont touch it if you value your clearcoat. Carnauba Wax is NOT available in an aerosol form. He's right though.. The can clearly labels its propellant as being a Hydrocarbon.. the question is which one. Most hydrocarbons are an Alkene of some sort (thus why its marked Flammable on the can). Now i'm not a chemistry genius so chem buffs help me out here, but a clear coat containing Isocyanates when mixed with hydrocarbon propellant would have some kind of Redox reaction right where the Isocyanate is the oxidised product and the Hydrocarbon the reduced right?

Thus meaning your clearcoat over time with enough exposure to the crap will eventually be eaten away? Food for thought..

'08 Prado Grande. For Driving over Shit.
Old 29-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

I'll try find it but I have seen a list of what's in it.
Old 29-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

hamgatan at standard level

another thing, it seems to do quite well at removing the oxidised top layer of your clear coat which means there are chemical solvents acting as reagents.. that in itself raises concern with me.

i have never touched my rex with this stuff.. i used to polish up my MR2 all the time in it because it had that crappy sun fade on red that most 90's red cars had.. Seemed to bring it back from the brink every time but i did notice it didnt really hold up well in weather and serve its purpose as a long term wax..

'08 Prado Grande. For Driving over Shit.
Old 29-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

http://www.fw1.com.au/files/Chemwatch%20Australian%20MSDS%20FW1.pdf

Page 2, section 3.

Tags
car, cleaner, waterless