Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Vendors and Sponsors > Evolution R
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Thanks for the confirmation. Will get them in very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 PM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Your post is nonsensical.
In your opinion, perhaps. The adjective you quote (nonsensical) is an absolute; I firmly believe that there is at least some validity to my points and I am sure there would be many on this forum who would back me up. On this note, I wish to emphatically state that this is NOT an attack on the OP; if anything I wholeheartedly support Mao's offers to bring quality parts to members here at the far more realistic prices he is quoting.

Quote:
Mao is refering the $1225 to the Q45 Maf not the Z32 (Z32 can be had for around $600 new).
Whatever. They are still grossly exorbitant prices for what they are. And as for R&D, that was done years ago.... how long does the consumer have to keep paying for this aspect just so they can keep their cars running? It's not like the AFM for my MY99 has had major improvements over the original piece of temperamental shit that was installed ex factory. In fact, I'll bet that the one you can buy present day is identical in every way to the OEM part back in '99. I mean, if the R&D was so deep and detailed, why do our AFMs keep stuffing up, thereby continuing the need for us to keep buying the things? For what the consumer pays for them, they should work perfectly. But we both know they don't.

Quote:
They aren't made by Nissan or Subaru.....They are made by Jecs, Denso or Bosch & sold to the manufacturers for $xxx....Buying OEM (Subaru or Nissan) boxed comes at a premium v's buying manufacturer direct.... Like everything.
The last AFM I bought (from Subaru) didn't come in any box, fancy or otherwise. Just a heat-seal plastic bag. As did the one before that. No extra costs there.

Quote:
They are also a precision electronic device that is reliable (on the most part) in stock applications for 100's of thousands of Kilometers....
Clearly, you are not talking about MY99-00.

Quote:
They are not "a piece of plastic with a coupla wires hanging out of it and stamped out by the thousands by some machine". Do you even understand how they work???
Yes, I do actually; my apologies for the crude description, I should have said a piece of plastic with a plug attached and a $en$or wire in it.

Quote:
Subaru sell the OEM 99/00 afm cartridge for under $300, the same sensor through Porsche (fitted to Boxster & Boxster S) is $1k.... So the Subaru Pricing isn't that bad hey?
Compared to Porsche, yes. But all that does is further illustrate my point... Porsche will charge what they know they can get away with because they know the car won't run without it without an aftermarket solution, and the cost to consumer has absolutely no bearing on manufacturing costs.

But getting back to Subaru, even $300 is way over the top for the part that it is. Same goes for the several sensors on our motors and various other parts that cannot be bought generically.

Back to you Mao; apologies for off-topic ... keep up the excellent work! I'll definitely be getting my next AFM from you and saving some bucks
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)
Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

The 'unreliable' OEM maf was only used for 99/00 Gc's... In saying that my current one has been in use for 3 years now with an oiled filter without issue & no output voltage drift.

How many MAF's have you fitted in your cars 11 year life?

P.s Subaru fixed it by not using it in bugeye onwards cars.

Back on topic.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Rossco; 02-06-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Quote:
The 'unreliable' OEM maf was only used for 99/00 Gc's... In saying that my current one has been in use for 3 years now with an oiled filter without issue & no output voltage drift.

Since you ask the question... 4. And needing number 5. And I've only owned it since March 2003. And my car is dead stock apart from TBE with OEM dry panel filter which I change more regularly than service requirements dictate. Suppose I'm just really unlucky .

Back to you Mao...
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)
Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Ros: Dun fail the AFM on purpose ok? Just kidding.

Westoz: I can understand your frustration and I thank you for your input here. I also see your pt at the end of the consumer, but Rosco also has a pt and he has been working in the parts industry for a long time and he understands the ins-and-outs of the parts system.

One thing all of us must understand is that the Japanese manufacturers are so huge, that once they mass produce an item, it is hard for them to remanufacture and stock say another 100,000 improved versions of AFMs for the Impreza. What about the older stock?
All they can do is to follow a rule of continual improvement by improving on the next vehicle model up.

They leave the 'imperfections' to the aftermarket parts industry to fill up the gap.

On another note guys, how bout a D-jectro type ecu like the motec or vi-pec? L-jectro still has its restrictions for super high hp cars, but not that all of us go to the extend of forging our engines.

Hrmm also been wondering, with all the open source oem ecu protocol info out in the open, I am sure someone super smart can come out with a reflash software with an aftermarket map sensor interface to enhance the vehicle's performance, but again R+D costs are not cheap. ooopps back to square 1.

I guess it was a good argument and even me myself had to contradict my own thought process here.

Quote:

Back on topic.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

i liked the bit where there was cheap mafs.

Long live the WRC
Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Rossco,

They couldnt get a clear pic of the Z32 as they said both sides had mesh.
This is the pic. Ordered them anyway so they should be on their way.

Quote:

Back on topic.
Old 21-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Sorry for the delay guys, the AFMs are a couple of days away and will advise once they arrive.

Regards,
Mao
Old 22-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Subaru Tech Division

redlib at standard level

Anyword on just the block connector yet.
Old 22-06-2011, 10:16 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

TarmacSTi at standard level

just a quick one Mao, my AFM is U/S and need a new one, is it better for me to bite the bullet and get ViPec ECU or get another AFM for the moment? its a 1997 V4 sti

Tags
afms, subaru, subarus