Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

POLARBEAR666 at standard level

I am sure the power will be huge but I am sad to see the typical Racetorque crap pipework that my car came with...go the unnecessary 3 inch off the turbo.. aint gonna gain ya anythign except LAG!!!

My car feels so much better now that the turbo pipes have been redone by speedworks... also, even if you disregard the pipe size...they have not even put the pipe so that it goes down through the bodywork just in front of the ABS. Thats a saving of about 1.5-2 feet versus going into the inner guard and around.

Why bother going the reverse when the rest of the system is so sub-optimal.

I'm not bagging your build tino...just the racetorque execution of the pipes.

Shoulda been done like this.

Last edited by POLARBEAR666; 22-09-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 22-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

simon u obviously dont know wot ur talking about in my situation.. The reason the piping has to go through the gaurd is simple my FMIC is too FCKIN BIG and the end tanks go nearly to the end of my foglight cover. The only way was through the gaurd. Dont worry i checked out all the possibilities and told R/T exactly wot i wanted done. They did exactly wot i asked them to do.

If u check it out u will see that ive lost nearly 1mtres of pipe from the intake side. and because of the turbo mount ive lost around half a metre. So i think i will see a benefit of the shorter piping.

Last edited by trainwrex; 22-09-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 22-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Sir AntiLag

Denver at standard level

Tino even with massive coolers you can do shorter piping runs, mine for eample went through the battery tray on the passenger side, and just in front of the abs unit on the drivers, probably removing about 1-2 foot of pipe a side.. and by sounds of it your cooler is about the same size as mine is, 700wide?
Old 22-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Subaru Tech Division

It must be one of those super overkill APS units that extends well into areas that have no airflow. My HKS one fits between the gap between the bodykit at the front but extends about 2 inches above and 1 inch below... never gets hot on the outlet side at all

What size is the turbo outlet pipe Tino? if its more than 2 inch then its unnecessary as 2 inch will pump 600hp+ at the wheels as seen on the speedworks EVO. If your pipe is bigger than this then you should spend a bit extra and get just that section redone in 2 inch...save yourself a fair bit of volume and reduce lag.... i cant believe what a diff it made on mine... 2.5 inch to 2 inch and better layout.
Old 22-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Sign me up!

hey denver the size of my cooler is 9" x 28" x 3.6" hmm which equates to around ur size but then u have to add on the end tanks. The problem i found was the drivers headlight was right bang in the way and couldnt be bypassed without goin around it. the passenger side however i got rid of a heap of tubing. i know simon isnt trying to start a war of words, just i suppose annoyed with the way his piping was intially done.
Old 22-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Sign me up!

Quote:
What size is the turbo outlet pipe Tino? if its more than 2 inch then its unnecessary as 2 inch will pump 600hp+ at the wheels as seen on the speedworks EVO. If your pipe is bigger than this then you should spend a bit extra and get just that section redone in 2 inch...save yourself a fair bit of volume and reduce lag.... i cant believe what a diff it made on mine... 2.5 inch to 2 inch and better layout.
it is preety big simon, u also have to remember that the GD air dam is alot and i mean alot larger than on the GC. i know as i tried to fit my old GC cooler and there was a huge gap.

Quote:
It must be one of those super overkill APS units that extends well into areas that have no airflow. My HKS one fits between the gap between the bodykit at the front but extends about 2 inches above and 1 inch below... never gets hot on the outlet side at all
The piping would be around that size, i definately know that its smaller than my perrin FMIC piping.
Old 22-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Sounds like the go then.... No doubt that the GD air dam is bigger... but some of those cores u see from aps and others are stupidly large....

I hope it all works out for ya as im keen to see a 2.5 with a proper monster turbo and v8 AVCS heads get the boost it deserves...PLUS..you can be the guinea pig for testing block limits as my block is the same as yours with the head studs, rods, pistons... mines also closed deck though

Id like to book a ride in the finished one to compare vs the old setup... I have reached your old setups performance with my new pipes... very similar to how it was pulling along the back straight of dalkeith.

Last edited by POLARBEAR666; 22-09-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 22-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Sign me up!

hahah simon.. yes guinea pig i will be like i was with the green .

ill get all the bugs sorted out in the next month then hit the track hard
Old 22-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Sign me up!

Here are some new pics
How do u make the image appear in the post?

Last edited by trainwrex; 22-09-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 22-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Subaru Tech Division

click the thing that looks like a mountain range and insert the web address.

I am dying to see if the 2.5 with just rods, forgies and studs can withstand 25+? psi of boost and not die.

Will once and for all put this "Thin bore" debate to rest one way or the other.... and at least then I can tell whether upgrading my exhaust housing to a bigger size and running 25psi is worth it. hehehe

Last edited by POLARBEAR666; 22-09-2005 at 10:19 PM.

Tags
build, coming, finally