Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Sir AntiLag

Chaddy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Chaddy

That depends John... I only run third party fire and theft, sure I can afford full comprehensive but I choose to self insure given how little I drive it. At the end of the day if I break it I'll buy another one.... but better
Old 25-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Sir AntiLag

jzr at standard level

Is the car at a yard or is it in your possession?

with insurance they usually have assessors come out and assess what they believe the value of the vehicle. i would contact the the third parties insurer and see if you can provide a valuation or reciepts of the accessories they may honor that and pay you out more.

Also if you have the standard stereo and kit you could always remove the aftermarket parts and replace them with the standard ones. As the vehicle was not insured you should be able to do this as long it is replace with standard accessories.

if you have any problems send us a pm as i work in insurance. im sure something can be worked out.
Old 25-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Subaru Tech Division

fobz knows their stuff

The other guys insurance company CANNOT take your car. They have an agreement
with the other guy to take HIS car since they represent HIM. You would never have
signed an agreement with his insurance company, therefore they have no
legal right to take your car... write off or not.

In the big scheme of things it is your responsibility to get the funds out of the
other driver (ie: send him the bill). It is then up to him to get that money
from his insurance company. So can show the cars replacement value is
$12000, and he can only get $6000 out of his insurance company, then he must
make up the shortfall. This is where you will probably need to take civil action
against the other driver.

Good luck and keep us updated, keeping in mind that the other guys
and his insurance company may read this entire thread.

My flame suit is on. Give it your best biatch.

[COLOR="Red"]My STI's carbon emissions are offset by killing puppies.[/COLOR]
Old 25-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddy
That depends John... I only run third party fire and theft, sure I can afford full comprehensive but I choose to self insure given how little I drive it. At the end of the day if I break it I'll buy another one.... but better
I understand why people do it, but I don't agree with it. If you rarely drive you car you can insure it for the limited kms it does per year making it very cheap.

What happens on the day you aren't doing something wrong, but aquaplane into my car (i.e. a genuine accident)? Can you afford to instantly cough up the money to fix it?

Just using you as an example btw I for one wouldn't want to be at a cruise or something and have an accident with someone who isn't insured.
Old 25-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

DEDLYWEPN at standard level

He (Chaddy) is not saying don't insure at all, he's saying only go third party fire and theft. Which in that hyperthetical scenario you mentioned, covers all damage to your car, just not his. His car would only be covered if it was torched or stolen and not recovered/repairable.

Went the same way with my gf, she's 21 and only just got her licence and bought her first car, they wanted just under 2k a year to give full comprehensive on an 89' Mazda 929 with an insured value of 6k!! In some instances, third party fire and theft is the only feasible option.

FOR SALE - [MY REXTC] - Custom Polycarb Plates - PM Me
Old 25-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

If it covers others than thats ok

I must be thinking of something else and confusing myself.

I have mates who have this mentality that any insurance is a waste of money and they will just pay the damage at the time. Until one of them had a minor accident and was $50k down.
Old 25-04-2008, 09:07 PM
STI Master

wannabox at standard level

I personally think driving without insurance is like playing russian roulette with a fully loaded AK47. Fair enough you pay and may never use it, but its good to know if something happens I am covered. I have enough stress without having to be super careful each time I drive knowing if I drive into that merc I am F&*&&D...

My 1.0000005 cents

Cheers
Old 25-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

Most of the time you need insurance is when you're doing stuff that voids your insurance anyway....
But 3rd party is a must.
Old 25-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Cypher at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby99
Depending on your insurance company will depend how difficault they'll be with a case like this. What i've been told and learnt in the past that if you don't like a decision an insurance company has made you can contest that. Good luck with it and hope you get what you want.

I'm curious to know why you would have a turbo timer on a non turbo car???
Well technically they shouldn't be called turbo timers...all they do is keep your engine on for a pre-set amount of time after ignition is cancelled allowing the cars components to cool down before the car is turned off.

Generally it is only needed on turbo cars as the turbo is the only part of the car that can need to cool down to prevent damage...that been said it still isn't a bad idea on NA cars just to cool your engine down.

And i'm further guessing she just put it on to further make it look and sound like a WRX...
Old 26-04-2008, 05:17 AM
STI Master

doadrift at standard level

Dont get me wrong guys SHE will have fully comp insurance. Just while I have been driving it as a daily I havnt had any, its enough paying insurance on a ls2 rx7... I have the car in my possession and I'm quite happy for the insurance place to read this thread so they know I'm not going to let myself get screwed over, in the end I'm a law student and need to make a name for myself anyway

Also the reason she has a turbo timer is (beside whats been said about keeping the wrx illusion) she wanted the remote ignition like I had on my silvia, she had the same alarm system but needed a turbo/NA timer (as it says on the apexi box) for it to work. She was also planning the ej20t/awd conversion for sometime in the future. It might not be a wrx but its the closest thing she could afford, its her pride and joy and most importantly as of this week she OWNED it all, which is more than most people can say about there cars.

Thanks alot for the help guys and I'll keep you informed on what happens as I'm sure this "sort" of thing will happen to someone else in the future.

Tags
insurance, urgent