Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-04-2008, 09:43 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by doadrift
Dont get me wrong guys SHE will have fully comp insurance. Just while I have been driving it as a daily I havnt had any, its enough paying insurance on a ls2 rx7... I have the car in my possession and I'm quite happy for the insurance place to read this thread so they know I'm not going to let myself get screwed over, in the end I'm a law student and need to make a name for myself anyway

Also the reason she has a turbo timer is (beside whats been said about keeping the wrx illusion) she wanted the remote ignition like I had on my silvia, she had the same alarm system but needed a turbo/NA timer (as it says on the apexi box) for it to work. She was also planning the ej20t/awd conversion for sometime in the future. It might not be a wrx but its the closest thing she could afford, its her pride and joy and most importantly as of this week she OWNED it all, which is more than most people can say about there cars.

Thanks alot for the help guys and I'll keep you informed on what happens as I'm sure this "sort" of thing will happen to someone else in the future.
I'm assuming your g/f is pretty young as she's only just got her license? Why is she getting a 8k car loan and spending it on a 15 year old car thats a n/a 1.6 FWD. And she's modding it? As boring as it sounds, maybe she would be better off with a $2000 Corolla that will depreciate $500 in 5 years as opposed to modding a non-performance car/money-pit.
Old 27-04-2008, 09:46 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
It scares me more that people think this is an ok attitude. If you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the car.
Isn't he joking?
Old 27-04-2008, 11:23 PM
STI Master

doadrift at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed
I'm assuming your g/f is pretty young as she's only just got her license? Why is she getting a 8k car loan and spending it on a 15 year old car thats a n/a 1.6 FWD. And she's modding it? As boring as it sounds, maybe she would be better off with a $2000 Corolla that will depreciate $500 in 5 years as opposed to modding a non-performance car/money-pit.
Shes 22 turning 23. She wasnt looking for a performance car. she was looking for a subaru impreza wrx, not because of power, because she likes them. Eventually should would have sold it or converted, the subaru was great to her over the time she had it as opposed to a p.o.s $2000 bunky that would have cost her the equivilent and more parts to repair when it breaks down every 2 months.

Alot of you are missing the point, I know this is the internet and everyone is entitled to say what they want but the topic isnt about what car someone should buy or how everyone should have insurance, its about what to do in this situation, thanks for your help guys.
Old 27-04-2008, 11:31 PM
STI Master

wannabox at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear
mate that is bs! what happens if you have to swerve to avoid somthing, oil on the road so many situations you cant avoid and if you hit a 200k car then I guess you will be paying it off for quite some time. Especially if the car is owned by somone who has just got there licence!!!
Your on the money there mate, you can be careful but you are not superhuman, you cannot control the dog that decides to jump infront of you at the last minute. I hate paying insurance aswell, and for me this is not cheap either, but its good to know the day something happens I do not need to run around like a monkey trying to sort it out. If I couldnt pay for insurance I wouldnt drive just can't take the risk, not worth it IMO.
Old 28-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Quote:

Alot of you are missing the point, I know this is the internet and everyone is entitled to say what they want but the topic isnt about what car someone should buy or how everyone should have insurance, its about what to do in this situation, thanks for your help guys.
Dude, this is Perth-WRX. Your lucky that your thread has started as close to topic as it has

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt
Old 28-04-2008, 08:40 AM
STI Master

If you modded your car, you could get your insurance company to cover those mods. But you would obviously have to do this officially i.e informing them of what you have purchased and the value etc and no doubt this will raise the cost of your insurance. Also if you had comprehensive insurance you could have insured the car for 9K and you would have received that from your insurance company. However you don’t have insurance and are reliant on the other guys insurance company to pay you the 9k you want. I doubt they will do this. Insurance companies are not ‘scammers’ but they are in the business of making money. And if they think they can avoid a payout they will. So I doubt very much if you will get much more than the 4K. As far as getting back all the modded gear, I really don’t know. I would suggest calling an Insurance company, Consumer Affairs and Legal Aid. The last 2 authorities I’ve used a number of times and considering they’re free they give very good advice. They may not be able to help in this situation, but they could always point you in the right direction.

As far as advising you on what type of car to buy, yeah it was off-topic, but I don’t like seeing people that go out and spend all their hard earned savings on cars and loans etc. I had a ‘sh*tty’ Toyota Corolla for 9 years, it did 320’000kms and was awesome. Cost me $2500 and I sold it for $1500 9 years later when I had saved enough for a decent car. All I’m saying is maybe have a think about it because I have seen a lot of people lose a lot of money buying/modding/repairing cars. Not saying modding a car is a bad thing, it’s just you have other options out there. You’ll know what I’m talking about when you hit 30.
Old 28-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed
I had a ‘sh*tty’ Toyota Corolla for 9 years, it did 320’000kms and was awesome. Cost me $2500 and I sold it for $1500 9 years later when I had saved enough for a decent car. All I’m saying is maybe have a think about it because I have seen a lot of people lose a lot of money buying/modding/repairing cars. Not saying modding a car is a bad thing, it’s just you have other options out there. You’ll know what I’m talking about when you hit 30.
A N/A EJ will do 300k. My GF's first car was a faker WRX GX. And thats what she wanted. Ever tried telling a girl who has her heart set on something any different? Impossible. GX's hold their value pretty damn good too.
Old 28-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Ok point is, you don't have any insurance, the insurance company of the other guy will offer you a maximum of the current market value of the car. If you want more than that, you and the other guys insurance company will have to go to court to sort it out. They will have big bad lawyers and I'm guessing you won't, so you can see what the outcome is before it even begins.

Your car is your property until you sign it over to someone else. So if it has 'extensive' modifications, take them off now and return it to a stock condition.

If you want to fight to get the extra couple of grand, go and see a lawyer urgently and get their opinion. Sometimes a letter from a legal company pushes people in the right direction. Saying the guys on Perth-WRX said '...' will get an amusing reply.

I would assume you have reported this incident to the police (as is legally required for all motor vehicle accidents with damage over $1000)?
Old 28-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

oh ps, remote start is illegal
Old 28-04-2008, 09:53 AM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
Ok point is, you don't have any insurance, the insurance company of the other guy will offer you a maximum of the current market value of the car. If you want more than that, you and the other guys insurance company will have to go to court to sort it out. They will have big bad lawyers and I'm guessing you won't, so you can see what the outcome is before it even begins.

Your car is your property until you sign it over to someone else. So if it has 'extensive' modifications, take them off now and return it to a stock condition.

If you want to fight to get the extra couple of grand, go and see a lawyer urgently and get their opinion. Sometimes a letter from a legal company pushes people in the right direction. Saying the guys on Perth-WRX said '...' will get an amusing reply.

I would assume you have reported this incident to the police (as is legally required for all motor vehicle accidents with damage over $1000)?
Yeah exactly. He could always take the guy (not insurance company) to court (small claims). This is pretty straightforward & no lawyers required. Not sure what the claim would be, unlawful damage to property? But as I said LegalAid will be help to advise.

" Saying the guys on Perth-WRX said '...' will get an amusing reply." - lol

Tags
insurance, urgent