Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-04-2009, 03:12 PM
WRXRW

was the m800 pnp reading avcs back in early 2004? would of been just on the cusp of it as it usually takes within 12-18 months for all the bugs to be ironed out. motec would of had a few version 7 sti's in various levels of r&d with its international dealers/buyers until the aus spec 02 came out, give or take that transition period and more demand....would of been damn close.

on a side note, its going to be interesting seeing how those two mms 08sti's go like next week. all the best parts money can buy, plus the meticolous attention to detail in piecing it all together. easy 200+ grand build on each car, lot of money to put on the line, its a shame they wont stay new for very long!

for some reason they bin one (god forbid) could be the time for some seagull action raping all those parts, say hello to mr s202!
Old 22-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

i love how one part of the article says it is standard then another says it was built by MSR and had some cam work. and why was it put together only to strip it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXRW
we need to keep this thread going. its the only half decent thing that's happened for a while around these parts!

as stated earlier, the s202 comes with one hell of a reference! (but then again he took it out in 07 with a gc8....anyway, s202!!!)

TARGA TASMANIA 2004

TONY SULLENS & JULIA RABBETT TAKE OUT 1st PLACE !!!!

THE CAR
The car is an 02 STI S202 limited run of 400 world wide, it is based on an 02 STI Spec C with more mod cons, It was imported in parts, and put together before stripping it for the cage and rebuild. The car was taken to be weighed just before it left, 1285kg dry. The engine is STD with STD exhaust (60mm) it has more boost, 1.7 bar and tuned with ECUTEK by Paul Fisher @ MRT and Michael South in a joint effort of Research & Development, which will benefit many others with what we both have learnt.

The engine was done by Michael South and Tony Sullens, the cams were degreed in and apart from that it is STD. The power band is very narrow thanks to the very small exhaust, peak power was near 240kw @ the hubs and at 5400rpm, torque was near 500 Nm.

The car was a bare shell 3 weeks ago, Tony had never driven it until Targa, Michael South did the suspension testing and tuning the week before Targa while Tony & Julia were already in Tasmania doing reci, the spring rates were way to stiff, but the springs we wanted were not available, so it was a case of 'run it as it is'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-DHeL4VyZ4

love the bark of that titanium exhaust!
Old 22-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
okay, so how about we throw around some ideas and build a car and draw up a budget.

to be honest, is it really worth it? does double the money necessarily mean double the fun?
Double the money does not mean double the fun but it does mean that you know if you drive the wheels off the thing you have a chance of winning.

I know that I could drive my car in its current tune at 12 tenths and unless it rains there is absolutely no way I can win Targa West. This is also assuming that Les Walkden konws nothing about the Evo 7 that a certain WA driver is in that he originally built.

My point is you are not going to land a s202 in WA for $14k and the cost to set it up with motec / reigers etc is going to cost the same whether it is a brand new my08 or a s202.

If I was going to build a new race car tommorow (bear in mind I have a fully equipped workshop and would do everthing myself except for physically welding the cage in. I would cut / notch and tach but get a registered welder to actually weld it) I would not get a dollar back out of $125k.

Works out like this.

Base car: Either Brand new Evo x rs or jap spec STI: $45k
Suspension: Reigers or nothing: $20k
Brakes: S/hand AP's or similar. (bear in mind you are not allowed to run a pedal box. Also includes hydraulic handbrake $15k
Cage: Chrome moly including painting $10k
Wheels / tyres: original diameter but lighter weight $5k
In Car: Seats / harnesses / rally computer / fire bomb etc $8k
Computer: Motec box plus diff controller inc tuning $8k
interior misc: re cover dash / tinting / vo waterspray $5k
other: stamp duty / rego etc $4k
exhuast: new exhaust to save weight and less restrictive $2K
stuff ive forgotten: ?? $5k

This car would be competitive outright on any tarmac rally on the east coast. It would not beat porsches / gtr's in targa west because they simply have too much power out of 90' corners and you cant carry enough corner speed with you.....unless it rained.

The point I am trying to make is that the cost of the car pales into insignifigance so dont buy one and do it yourself but if you insist on doing it buy the latest model thing you can get. It's nice to have the exclusivity of something like a 202 but you are going to hack stuff out of it. Probably bin it at some stage and it will never go back to what it was like. Also because it was made in such low numbers the car would never have been homologated. That means you have to run the weight as it appears in the brochure and not the homologated weight. Without doing the research there might not be any difference but you would be better off with a normal spec C sti instead of an s202.

At the other end of the spectrum you could ring up heaphy at ralliart and buy a brand new evo 9 rs or evo x rs for $40 - $45k. Brand new car that is b-rego. With some tyres / exhaust / tune ($5k) the car would be competitive at club level motorsport and be super reliable. If you get bored there would be heaps of people that would buy the car and turn it into a rally car(either dirt or tarmac). If you dont get bored and love it you could start ticking the boxes from above. Start with suspension then maybe the cage etc.

Brendon

Last edited by urabus; 22-04-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 22-04-2009, 03:38 PM
STI Master

axle at standard level

Sorry but I can't get over a roll cage costs $10k now days (geez I sound old).

Admittedly mine is a bolt in but my ali cage cost me under $1k 15 years ago. As the car is still log booked I can still use it and save a bucketload of weight and is safe enough for circuit racing in historics.
Old 22-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
on a side note, its going to be interesting seeing how those two mms 08sti's go like next week. all the best parts money can buy, plus the meticolous attention to detail in piecing it all together. easy 200+ grand build on each car, lot of money to put on the line, its a shame they wont stay new for very long!

for some reason they bin one (god forbid) could be the time for some seagull action raping all those parts, say hello to mr s202!
I agree completely and I think it could almost be a defining moment. Absolutely no doubt that evo 7 - 9 > sti my 02 - 07. Last year they sold 37 evo 9 rs and 35 went to tarmac duty. Now that the Evo x has got fat and you are not allowed to run elf 106 (which benefitted the evo x more than the my07 sti) the sti has an opportunity like never before to regain some ground.

If herridge or iddles bin it all the gucci parts will just get put into the a new one. I think its fair to say that only one of the mms cars will be competitive outright.

Cheers

Brendon
Old 22-04-2009, 03:47 PM
WRXRW

totally agree, its going to cost the same setting it up whether its a brand new car or something older, yet similar. but with all respect i think this gentleman is just starting out so a 125-200$ racecar might be a bitter pill to swallow whereas a <30$ prebuilt racecar is something he can quite comfortable learn in without the fear of costing more than a riviera boat! why aren't you doing the hard sell on your car brendon! (even blind freddy could see im trying to help ya!)

as for rollcages, if you got someone like steve maitland to build you a rollcage that has all the bells and whistles (bear in mind the car is already stripped out) you wouldn't get much change out of 9999$ so by the time its painted and all the trimmings go back in/modified (unless you go carbon so add +++$) its another 5 grand. of course the DIY approach favours those with skills and time, the likes of me have neither so we to rely on others.
Old 22-04-2009, 03:57 PM
WRXRW

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=11000

go brendan go!

what ever happened to ross lockharts old car? is still in perth? i know i rave on about it, but that was a nice car, that rollcage spins me out everytime. okay, even i admit, maybe change the colour, but respect it as its a nicely put together car!

Last edited by WRXRW; 22-04-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 22-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Sir AntiLag

Denver at standard level

saw ross's car at MC mid last year i think it was, he was doing some testing in it

he'd gotten the weight of it down to 960kg, and that was inc driver from memory
Old 22-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Quote:
what ever happened to ross lockharts old car? is still in perth? i know i rave on about it, but that was a nice car, that rollcage spins me out everytime. okay, even i admit, maybe change the colour, but respect it as its a nicely put together car!
it got sold & shipped to Europe in Oct 08 - I think he dropped the price to below $40k in the end.

Edit - http://www.mythical.com.au/ross-rex/index.html
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 22-04-2009, 04:36 PM
WRXRW

i love the car, but this a stretch....

"it is no doubt the best prepared high performance SUBARU, in W.A...."

shame it went os, would of been good to have remained in perth

Tags
classic, s202