Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Subaru Tech Division

REXXXED knows their stuff

What a car.....wish i had some spare money!
Old 20-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR RA View Post
Other than the Rally Spint at the plex, I think you need a full cage for TSW of TW to compete at all. The touring cars still have full cages AFAIK. So in my mind, if you are going to all the trouble, may as well get to play at the higher speed.

Could understand the speed restricted (touring) class if it also reduced the safety equipment required and made it more accessible. For example at the speed event series you will hit in excess of 200kmh at the windfarm, collie hillclimb and barbagallo and need no cage whatsoever......

Speed event series is a great starting point Tino.

I have spoken with LF and they have said that they are able to make a bolt in full cage which is CAMS approved and actually put in a ton more bars to increase the rigidity than the basic CAM cage. Although not ideal to a weld in cage is still very good..
Old 20-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Sign me up!

[QUOTE=Sik em evo4;528635]
Quote:
Ahhhh you're killing me.... Would love to have some spare coin to buy that back. I am sure you are sad to see it move on. As some may know that is my old RA. One of the most pure drivers cars I have owned. I bought it stock as the second owner in Australia and built it up to be a daily driven club track car. The condition it is in now is an absolute credit to the current owner. It is immaculate Is a car you can daily drive and then bolt on R comps and win club motorsport championships in. Moreso, its just the most raw, fun car to drive. Good luck with the sale.[/QUOT

Thanks Blaise,you put together one hell of a car!!! Its by far the best and most enjoyable car I have ever owned, will be very sad to see it go.
What you stepping into now mate??
Old 20-01-2011, 04:12 PM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex View Post
I have spoken with LF and they have said that they are able to make a bolt in full cage which is CAMS approved and actually put in a ton more bars to increase the rigidity than the basic CAM cage. Although not ideal to a weld in cage is still very good..

If you are going just a bolt in go the Bond cage, Yes i know it doesn't have a fancy pancy LF sticker on it but how much would an LF bolt in cost???

Farkin large i bet!

Look up WA Trackdays on Facebook
Old 20-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
If you are going just a bolt in go the Bond cage, Yes i know it doesn't have a fancy pancy LF sticker on it but how much would an LF bolt in cost???

Farkin large i bet!
I didn't know u could get a CAMS approved bolt on cage so passing that info on
Old 20-01-2011, 04:42 PM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex View Post
I didn't know u could get a CAMS approved bolt on cage so passing that info on
There was talk that they were going to ban them a couple of years back but i am pretty sure nothing ever came of it!

The reason most of the cars that come from jap land that have bolt ins are not legal has nothing to do with bolt ins and more to do with the design/material!

If you look at the front legs of one of those cusco jobbies they look like they would just crush down on you with that funny bend near the dash!

Look up WA Trackdays on Facebook
Old 20-01-2011, 05:15 PM
STI Master

CDR RA at standard level

Bond definately do a CAMS bolt in full cage and generally they are well priced and not too painful to install. Still some welding to be done attaching the plates to the legs so you get the angles right, but its minor. You will be able to bolt out the front legs for normal street activities leaving a half cage, or bolt the whole thing out should you wish. Just need to check the STI front legs go around your dash rather than through and that your hood lining can stay in.

The do a similar cage for the IX. Franz runs a bolt in option in his MR.

The down side is they dont offer the best protection avaialble and they are heavy. But they are a reasonable compromise for a street driven car.
496 CI Injected Big Block. Carbon positive???
Old 20-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
There was talk that they were going to ban them a couple of years back but i am pretty sure nothing ever came of it!

The reason most of the cars that come from jap land that have bolt ins are not legal has nothing to do with bolt ins and more to do with the design/material!

If you look at the front legs of one of those cusco jobbies they look like they would just crush down on you with that funny bend near the dash!
haha asfaik the cusco ones arent CAMS approved??

Quote:
Bond definately do a CAMS bolt in full cage and generally they are well priced and not too painful to install. Still some welding to be done attaching the plates to the legs so you get the angles right, but its minor. You will be able to bolt out the front legs for normal street activities leaving a half cage, or bolt the whole thing out should you wish. Just need to check the STI front legs go around your dash rather than through and that your hood lining can stay in.

The do a similar cage for the IX. Franz runs a bolt in option in his MR.

The down side is they dont offer the best protection avaialble and they are heavy. But they are a reasonable compromise for a street driven car.
Interesting Blaise, this would be what i would want to do, put in a full bolt in cage which is essentially the same as the weld in but removable portions.

I suppose the more removable the portions the less the stiffness thats provided by the roll cage over the weld in counterpart? Or is the real benefit gussetting to the roof and C-pillar frames??

hmm i know the Bond cages are very cheap, however the installation costs would be 1-2k??

i wonder if this would translate to a chrome molly version
Old 20-01-2011, 09:21 PM

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

I'm so glad this thread stayed on topic....
Old 20-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

I'm not sure what it's like for different categories, but before I put the fully welded cage in the rally car, it had a bolt in, which was CAMS approved due to it being homologated by CAMS. This was a few years ago now, and was in PRC2 class of vehicle, but this might be the reasoning behind some being approved and some not.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV View Post
I'm so glad this thread stayed on topic....
Buy an ADM wrx for the sake of rego. There you go Kym, sort of on topic.

Tags
breg, buy, imports, jdm