Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 PM
STI Master

Giddyup at standard level

He'll lose. Done.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Didn't a few people over east successfully contest fines that were issued by hand held lasers due to the calibration being incorrect?

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 12-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

Under the freedom of information act it is possible to obtain any & all information relating to the specific hand held laser/multanova/dash mounted radar that is being used as the tool to convict you, including it's recent testing schedule and testing/calibration/operational requirements, if they have failed to have the unit tested/calibrated/set up properly in the right conditions for operation as required, it is possible to have the charges overturned.

There is a female police officer over east who was charged with speeding at 108kph in a 100 zone by a permanent mounted speed camera..IN HER MARKED PATROL CAR..she is currently taking this case to court maintaining she was driving on cruise control set to below 100kph, after having the cars speedometer laser tested, the in car monitoring/recording devices put forward as evidence, and the testimony of her partner in the vehicle at the time that she was definitely not speeding, and that the camera in question was known to be, and had a history of being, faulty, yet was still issuing fines as a result of it's readings purely for revenue purposes in the hope that the majority of motorists will just pay the fine and not bother going to the effort of contesting it in court - as the readings were below what was required to incur demerit points, but inaccurate enough to implicate motorists only slightly above the limit to be fined a monetary fine.

Both these cases have the potential to shake the system in regards to the fact the cameras are used purely for revenue raising, as well as being quite unreliable and inaccurate if not used within their optimal operating parameters, and have no impact on reducing the road toll. It is not about giving retards who blatantly & recklessly speed on the roads an easy out from fine and/or conviction, but keeping the concept of using the cameras as tools to slow cars down in known fatality areas (mostly country roads according to statistics) rather than them being put in areas where the majority of motorists might strsy a few kph's over the limit (ie halfway down hills) where there is no immediate risk to life or limb of any party involved.

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

mike 09 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_STYLE View Post
Didn't a few people over east successfully contest fines that were issued by hand held lasers due to the calibration being incorrect?
I think they will more likely try to test the fact that none of the speed detection devices used in Australia have been federally tested under the National Measurements Act 1960. Federal law overrides state law when there is a clash.

None of these detection devices are exempt from this Act.

(From Aussie Speeding Fines newsletter)

2010 Hatch
267 hp & 425nm ASG Dyno.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

in any case, a calibration error at 170km/h is hardly going to get him 70 km/h within the limit

Long live the WRC
Old 12-03-2011, 06:21 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

skitzyrex1 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddyup View Post
He'll lose. Done.
Have you met him?
I hope he loses, Ive never met a cop who is hated by fellow workers as much as this idiot. There are many within the force that know him and are rather excited about the fact.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 PM
STI Master

Andy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Andy

yeah, I compete against him...he's abit of a tool! Hope they throw the book at him
Old 12-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Stalker at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
I just returned from Thailand where it seems that road speed and often road rules are barely enforced. However, it seemed to me that the road system seemed to operate a lot better on poorer roads with a greater level of courtesy from it's users. I wonder why that is? Perhaps it that when left to our own devices we all take into account other vehicles and the appropriate driving style rather than some arbitrary enforcement of a given speed.
You must be dreaming if you think this would work in Perth. The majority of Perth people seem to become aggressive, inconsiderate, impatient retards when they get behind the wheel.

Nice theory though.
Old 13-03-2011, 12:16 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

skitzyrex1 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post

EDIT - I just returned from Thailand where it seems that road speed and often road rules are barely enforced. However, it seemed to me that the road system seemed to operate a lot better on poorer roads with a greater level of courtesy from it's users. I wonder why that is? Perhaps it that when left to our own devices we all take into account other vehicles and the appropriate driving style rather than some arbitrary enforcement of a given speed.
Ive been there 3 times and was happy I made it from the airport to Patong as I was horrified of their driving. Clearly its got better in the past two years. Mind you if you research their road toll Im not surprised.
Old 14-03-2011, 02:41 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rally_Action at standard level

Guys,

I think you should be mindful of what you say in an open online forum. This forum is not a discussion around a BBQ with a few beers, anyone, anywhere in the world can read it.

I'm not able to comment on this case, however like all situations, there are two sides to a story. I'd imagine that most of you are are basing your opinions on what you have heard & read in the media. Regardless of what you think, you may be surprised by the other side of the story.

For some reason, society seems to have forgotten how the law works: Innocent until PROVEN guilty. It seems that trial by media is very popular and once accused, you're guilty even before you set foot in the court room.

Everyone is entitled to a day in court (even for speeding fines). If you are alledged to have broken the law and you don't think it is correct, you have the legal right to go to court and contest it.

It may be worth waiting for the verdict before passing judgement?

Karl
[COLOR=navy]Rally Action Driver Training[/COLOR]

Tags
i dare you to sue me, likes, officer, perth, police, ralli, speeding