Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

View Poll Results: Should I keep, or ditch the warranty?
Yes, ditch the warranty! WRX's tough and you won't need it 28 54.90%
Keep it....becuase you never know... 23 45.10%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

So its implied not explicit?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM
STI Master

reconus at standard level

If it states anywhere in the paperwork "You must service the car every x km's or 6 months (whichever comes first) to keep the warranty void" and you sign off on it, it would be both in that case.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

They'll just use it as ammo to decline a warranty claim if the apparent service is over due.

A lot of those extended used car warranty's arent even worth the paper they're printed on as they have so many clauses etc and some only cover up to a certain amount of the repair/warranty claim bill.

For example I've seen one that only covers the first $900 so if you do a gearbox within their supposed extended warranty period you have to fit the rest of the bill that's over that $900 amount,that's even if the gearbox is covered on the warranty in the first place.

I'd just get it serviced by a reputable Subaru workshop.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

All service interval are by time or K's, whichever comes first. Fluids and lubricants break down over time and lose their anti-oxidizing and other properties. Regardless of if they're getting driven or not. Brake fliud absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and its boiling point lowers.

Things like spark plugs, however, you should be able to get away with.

If its an AHG warranty, it must be serviced at an AHG dealership. I work at an AHG Subaru dealership, my mother bought a 2000 Liberty from there, and I told her to get the warranty.

10000ks/6months whatever comes first, is the schedule.
$2000 per claim, unlimited claims for 3 years, whats wrong with that?
Its not hard to get a car serviced every 6months
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

There's been a few sad stories on here of people being very upset by extended warranty loopholes. I recall 'Bigboost' and possibly 'wilko' both being dealt poor claim service.

Even if they pay the first $2000, the cost of the repair is often at least $2000 more than it would be elsewhere. Like $6000+ to repair a 5 speed transmission!

The type of 'warranty' they sell you (or give you) is an agreement, not a requirement by law as per a new or low km used car. Think of it as an insurance policy (though they go to great lengths to never use the word insurance as they are not licensed to sell insurance). The premuims are paid firstly when you buy the 'warranty' (or it's built in to the purchase price of the car) and then you contribute a small amount each time you service the car with them. If you service elsewhere they don't get that part of the premium and you have not fulfilled your end of the agreement.

I once purchased a Rodeo from a car dealer and they were so persistent that I buy their 'extended warranty' that eventually they offered it to me at no cost. I read the policy and still declined as there was so many loopholes and requirements for me to return the car to them at 6 monthly intervals.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

$6000.00 to rebuild a 5 speed! With what, a PPG gearset?
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 PM
STI Master

RXqME at standard level

^^ haha thats a good one i think it was just an example but anyway!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk7 View Post
$6000.00 to rebuild a 5 speed! With what, a PPG gearset?
That was the estimate to repair Wilko's 2001 WRX gearbox. Needed a mainshaft, 3rd gear synchro and second gear driven. They were difficult to deal with but in the end the car was flat towed to me with the box in the boot, I repaired it for just under the maximum amount of the warranty claim.
My memory is cloudy, but I recall there was a royal f**k up with the warranty, like they took his money but didn't actually buy a policy on the car???

Incedentally, they had dismantled the gearbox to every last nut, bolt, roll pin, detent etc. They reckoned their guy had spent 2 days on the car before we got it and I could see why. All the shift rails and forks were out, all the interlocks, the reverse interlock was dismantled, the front driveshafts were completely removed, the gearbox crossmember was in about 40 pieces, the crownwheel was off, the side bearings were off etc.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Sign me up!
Small snail syndrome

Wozzernux at standard level
Send a message via Skype™ to Wozzernux

A possible throwaway comment on my part, but I recall Wilko mentioning something about the dealer using the "wrong" gearbox oil while they worked on it.

I foolishly signed up for a Harrier extended warranty when I bought my car from a dealership (which I will never fucking do again), had the same caveats for servicing at the place of purchase etc... a few weeks later after learning more from Perth-WRX and other sources about this shonky excuse for a warranty I kindly asked the dealer to revoke it and refund me in full, to which they happily obliged
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

When I purchased my STI from a reputable Subaru dealership back in 2006, I got the NEW CAR warranty which was valid for 2 year and got a free road side assist. Every 10,000-20,000? or 6 months which ever came first, you had to bring the car in otherwise your NEW car warranty was invalid.

I read some where on my paper work that it only cover costs up to a certain amount..$900 to $1.5k?

In that 2 years had to replaced my VF35 which blew a seal according to the service manager. They replaced my the 35 with a vf34 no questions asked as they cant sourced a 35 in time.
Also replaced my rear wheel bearing again no questions asked... had HSD coilies, cusco sways and other aftermarket parts.

The extended warranty didnt cover as must as the new car so I didnt go with it.
from my experience warranty work when pretty well imo...

/CSB

Tags
cheaper, servicing, warranty