Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

You have to also remember the B-Reg rules have tightened up heaps, cant just buy a hard core modded car and go "oh give me b reg please"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

I did the same think with the wagon. I got it so I didn't break the STI. Well not break it, more write it off. Because as people have pointed out a couple of engine / gearboxs over 12 months, is cheaper than a purpose race car. This doesn't take into consideration putting it into a wall though at the rally sprint, or bouncing it over a kerb at Midvale, and bending the front of the car. Remember no insurance = empty pockets.

I would say if you can afford it buy a B regod car. It will still cost you the same amount in yearly rego for street registration & insurance though. As Dave said, check out my105, there are a couple of RA's on there for about 10K caged ready to go.

Its not going to be cheap however you look at motorsport, but if you set yourself a good plan I'm sure you gonna have lots of fun

What John said is also true though, what starts off to be a cheap little hobby can spiral out of control quite quickly if you let it. The fundamentals of the inherent weaknesses of the 205 & 5 speed are always going to be there, so upgrading engine & gearbox can be quite costly. Saying that there is no reason to drive it til it breaks Then replace it. Buying a purpose built car, is probably the better way to go in the long run cost wise, its just not as much fun putting the car together yourself & also knowing everything that has been done to it.

Simon.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Subaru Tech Division

kid at standard level

How many track days have you done in your MY12 already?

If it's just a handful, maybe slow down and do a full season of events in the MY12 that offer a bit of margin for error, and see if you really want to commit all that money...

There are plenty of guys that daily their weekend/ track cars. If you exercise some mechanical sympathy, and drive within your limits, you shouldn't be needing to fork out money for a new engine/ gearbox every few months.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 AM
STI Master

CDR RA at standard level

How to make a small fortune in motorsport?? Start with a big one!!

But good advice above. Decide exactly what you want to do with the car, and then maybe decide what car suits those events and your budget etc the best. As nauli pointed out, there are cars built for the regulated events (targa or IPRA) that you can pay a premium for as the build to meet the regs can be spendy. If you arent heading down that path, some of the "time attack" style or more generic track cars might be a better package.
V3 RA likes this.
496 CI Injected Big Block. Carbon positive???
Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 AM

Strubaru knows their stuff

i went down this train of thought & ended up buying a road registered R32 GTR that had a heap of mods already & just required some tlc, & lots of service to get up to date on I don't have to trailer it to the track (when i eventaully get it on there) can drive it around whenever/wherever i want, can get propper insurance

if it needs to be off the road for periods of time whilst i do running repairs at my own leisure then so be it, works really well for me as i have mrs/2kids/house that also require attention from time to time LOL

i've proabably spent around $12k on it so far including buying it, not bad really although i've done all the work myself (i'm a tinkerer & love to see how things work) a few more things to fix & i should be ready to do no-limits etc

I got a v8 bmw for a daily so there's no urge to mod that & its awesome to just get into big leather clad armchairs and drop D after driving the 32 feeling every bump in the road & smashing through the gears

another big plus is that your going to push a bunky alot harder than a 50k car you've spent bulk coin on it, & if i bin the 32 at the track, i can buy another shell for a couple of grand, swap everything over & go again
Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think that you need to smash the crap out of a car to do well in Motorsport events.

If you drive well and don't tune any car to within an inch of its life you won't be replacing gearboxes or engines.

A good set of suspension, new R-comps and practice will see you at the top half at a lot of events if you can drive with only wear and tear your issue.

Cheap b reg will cost more, not be as fast.

Unless you are at the point of competing in every club level event every month I can't see you getting any real value.

Having said that your previous points about it making it less of an issue "if" you break something is valid
Jeckle likes this.

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Writing off a street car or writing off a race car still costs you money.

I think using your street car is probably the most economical way of wasting money doing motorsport.
Master D likes this.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 07-05-2012, 11:34 AM

Master D knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUES View Post
I think using your street car is probably the most economical way of wasting money doing motorsport.
this
Old 07-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
that sits in the shed 99% of the year..
Kato can i borrow your car while I fix mine?
Master D likes this.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Wire the motec up and maybe

Tags
car, rally, reg, road