Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 AM
STI Master

huggy_b knows their stuff
Default Road or Rally reg car?

I'm in a bit if a quandry, I'm debating whether or not to keep flooging the MY12 around or get a dedicated track car..........track car idea is winning at this point. I'd dread going into work to tell the old man that I chewed up a gearbox at Whoop Ass Wednesday......

Problem I guess is do I get a road or rally registered car? If I buy a road car and cage it out, how long is that going to stay a road registered car and with that in mind, would it be better to get an unreged / rally car instead? Is it worth the hassle of caging?

I'm interested in twilight series, barbs, the occassional drags night etc - would a DRC license pretty much cover attending these events without the hassle of trailering to and from events for a rally reged car?

Any thoughts or guidance would be welcomed. Interested as to what others have done here for a weekend track warrior.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

1. Work out budget
2. Do research...see what's around
3. Note that buying a (decently) built car is cheaper than building one yourself
4. B reg is the most user friendly way to go...pros: you don't need to trailer it or get permits every time you want to take it to track/event or workshop...cons: it will cost you in registration for a car you won't drive much.
5. Work out where you will store it
6. A car built "to regulations" will allow you to enter tarmac rally events but won't generally be as quick as a highly modified track-only car
Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 AM
STI Master

Well I'm kinda looking at this:

Subaru Impreza STi 2 Door | Japanese Wholesale

Seems to have most of the good bits attached already. Budget is rubbery, but I was hoping to get going on around $15k or so.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

^^ End thread.

Track only car is not a cheap option. They start off cheap(ish) with the "I'll buy a $5-10k GC8" and end up as a $40k+ car that sits in the shed 99% of the year. I would be budgeting a minimum of a couple of engines & gearboxes in the MY12.

The biggest advantage is that you aren't tracking your daily car, so when things do break you can still get to work the next day. The biggest disadvantage is your track car will probably be a lot slower than your daily car (until you spend some good $$ modding it) so then you wonder why you bother. If you can overcome that and justify the cost, then go for it.
Master D, inrextc, Soksta and 1 others like this.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 AM

Master D knows their stuff

Get On my105.com.au, there is heaps of cars on there.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Subaru Tech Division

SyncSubaru at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
^^ End thread.

Track only car is not a cheap option. They start off cheap(ish) with the "I'll buy a $5-10k GC8" and end up as a $40k+ car that sits in the shed 99% of the year. I would be budgeting a minimum of a couple of engines & gearboxes in the MY12.

The biggest advantage is that you aren't tracking your daily car, so when things do break you can still get to work the next day. The biggest disadvantage is your track car will probably be a lot slower than your daily car (until you spend some good $$ modding it) so then you wonder why you bother. If you can overcome that and justify the cost, then go for it.

This is my biggest issue. I track my daily so when stuff breaks I have to bend over and take it backwards paying premium labour fees to get back on the road ASAP.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 AM

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

I've thougth about this too before. If you were going to compete in tarmac events, targa etc, then sure, build/buy a rally car. But if you just want something to flog down at WAW or RAC or Barbs on a weekend, there is not much point. The cost of modifying and fixing your MY12 will outweigh the cost of buying any track car, and it will probably be a bit faster too. Buy a bunky to get to work in, should the MY12 break and need repairs. I have no problems driving my WRX hard, and whilst it's under new car warranty, I don't see the problems in doing it either... one of those things though, if it does break, I'm screwed, so I am probably more sympathetic than I should be.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 AM
STI Master

The MY12 is a company car, so buying a "bunky" isn't an option.....if I roll up to work in a clapped out Corolla, there will be questions asked! LOL.

Ultimately, aside from my own selfish wants of car racing, I'm trying to get the old man into a hobby - I know he likes his cars so I'm hoping we can do this together and have the company "sponsor" the mods etc. Still gotta talk to the accounts about how to do that, but thats the plan.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy_b View Post
have the company "sponsor" the mods etc. Still gotta talk to the accounts about how to do that, but thats the plan.
Unless you are doing some serious events... Don't bother.

If you have the time and dedication to build a car, then do it.

You have already voided your warranty on your MY12, so you should keep driving that till it's broken and find out if you really do want to enter competitive events.

I built(/building) my GC8 for competitive stuff as I wanted to learn more and didn't want to bin a new Evo. Finding the time for all these events with life getting in the way means I'm doing nothing this year. So there is a lot of money tied up in a depreciating asset for a year just sitting in a garage spot. Always something to consider as circumstances change greatly, quickly.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

In road rally guise, there is also the AEM and Speed Event Series.

As per Nauli, work that out first. Mine is a fully road registered vehicle, with stock interior. I have seen cars roll up with semi slicks in the boot, change rims and go and play for the day, come back in, change rims again and head home.

Speed event caters for "take it to the track" which runs along side the main series, where there are points awarded to cars that are driven to and from the track and not trailered. Its not perfect, but gives a bit of consideration to those who run road running vehicles. (Next round is Barbagello this Sunday)

I don't run a cage, mainly due to wanting to keep the car on the road easily.
Not the best call for safety, but I still have a wide variety of events I can do. Taking it to the next level, there is still room to run in events such as Targa, but in the challenge category. Some may consider this a waste of time as your limited to 130 kph, but its still doing Targa and all that entails.

With a limited driving background, I'm not going to challenge any of the top guys, or even the middle guys, so in a smaller field, I would be closer to the front on the class anyway, and Challenge runs first, so you will get to see the crowds as they wait for the guys running last.
Master D likes this.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/

Tags
car, rally, reg, road