Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
most subaru enthusiast say the 2.5 cant handle a significant turbo upgrade like a TD05 20g
Where did you read that? The ej255 will handle a td05 just fine. A td06 would be fine too if you want to make a cup of coffee before boost hits. It's high boost levels that the ej255 doesn't like, and if you're making too much horsepower you'll probably do clutches, drive-shafts and gearboxes before the block shits itself. Put whatever turbo you like on it and just be sensible about the boost levels, realistic about horsepower versus broken bits and ask your tuner to tune it for good mid-range power and response. Done.

If you're definitely getting an STi in the near future, just get a turbo back, ebc and a tune to tie you over. That will probably be enough to see the td04 to it's full potential because as already stated, it runs out of puff very quickly. I speak from experience. If you're not 100% sure, then maybe do aftermarket headers and a bigger intercooler in anticipation of a bigger turbo like I have.
Old 14-10-2012, 02:14 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Sonic at standard level

To the doctor: thanks for not being helpful and I hope you feel like a big man now
Old 14-10-2012, 02:15 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

DZENCI at standard level

Quote:
300 whp: To obtain this horsepower level, the EJ motor only requires an upgraded intercooler, larger sized fuel injectors, and a retune of the ECU-no internal engine modifications are required.

That doesnt sound right to me
E85 will net that power
Old 14-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
300 whp: To obtain this horsepower level, the EJ motor only requires an upgraded intercooler, larger sized fuel injectors, and a retune of the ECU-no internal engine modifications are required.

Keep in mind American horsepower and dyno figures are not the same as over here. Different air, different fuel... many variables. Their 300hp is probably our 270-280?
Old 14-10-2012, 02:21 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Sonic at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
Where did you read that? The ej255 will handle a td05 just fine. A td06 would be fine too if you want to make a cup of coffee before boost hits. It's high boost levels that the ej255 doesn't like, and if you're making too much horsepower you'll probably do clutches, drive-shafts and gearboxes before the block shits itself. Put whatever turbo you like on it and just be sensible about the boost levels, realistic about horsepower versus broken bits and ask your tuner to tune it for good mid-range power and response. Done.

If you're definitely getting an STi in the near future, just get a turbo back, ebc and a tune to tie you over. That will probably be enough to see the td04 to it's full potential because as already stated, it runs out of puff very quickly. I speak from experience. If you're not 100% sure, then maybe do aftermarket headers and a bigger intercooler in anticipation of a bigger turbo like I have.
Yeah iv just read some good info about the ej255 I did have a want for a td05 18g but like you said I may do intercooler and headers then go from there. Thanks :-)
Old 14-10-2012, 02:25 PM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level

I might roughly follow their guide and see what happens. I am going to at least o ring and fully forge though to chase the 400hp bracket. Give me six months to save some toy money.
Old 14-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Sir AntiLag

fsk at standard level

Quote:

Whats that about 220KW? Lots of setups putting out this power without hassels.

Your car will handle a td-05 if its tuned properly.
Old 14-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Why waste your time then - buy a sti now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Subaru Tech Division

DukeDrifter knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsk View Post
Whats that about 220KW? Lots of setups putting out this power without hassels.
223.7 killer wasps. defs an interesting read, making me think about spending a bit extra with my rebuild on internal goodies to make sure it's bullet proof
Old 14-10-2012, 04:59 PM
STI Master

monkeee at standard level

Quote:
So im sure this topic has been flogged a million times, iv been doing a bit of research on getting better preformance out of a 2.5 wrx and iv decided i want to keep the TD04 since most subaru enthusiast say the 2.5 cant handle a significant turbo upgrade like a TD05 20g, so i thought about doing as many supporting mods possible to maximize the TD04 abilities. I know its how deep are your pockets sort of thing when making a fast car, atm im just talking bolt ons that a 2.5 can handle?

Just as a side note i am planing on buying a sti in a few yrs but for now do what i can with a EJ255

Do bigger headers, Intercoolers etc do anything for a TD04?
No.

I asked the same question and have found in not pissing about with the TD04 and going to an 18G was a much better option.

If you aren't worried by a little lag then something like an 18G/AVO400S is fine. Heaps of midrange in any gear (i.e. its on @ 3300rpm) or you can stick to the VF34 which is still a great street turbo (MMS love these, plug and play stuff really).

As long as you run a mild boost level (under 20psi) + quality tune + regular maintenance (ALL fluids) = happy EJ255.

The best advice I can give you is not to get hung up on numbers (especially kw/HP).

I did this recently and it only makes you think about wasting more money. Touching on the advice I received from members on here and workshops, area under the curve is all you need to look to maximize to make the car better.
Sonic likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeee For This Useful Post:
Sonic (14-10-2012)

Tags
maxing, td04