Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 03:21 PM
Sir AntiLag

GTLeggy at standard level

As others have pointed out(in detail lol) the issue with the top mount isn't just cooling airflow...its actually restrictive at well below 400whp, ie lots of pressure drop, something a good size front mount solves

As for Water Meth injection, i have done extensive testing with it in subaru's and also turbo charged v8's, at the level where it makes a significant difference you'll be using 50/50 water meth at least so the meth acts as an octane boost and you'll be pumping a great deal into the engine....somewhere well in excess of 15% of your total fuel load, thats a big tank for water meth. Also most kits are crude so in effect you'll be pouring the stuff in at the wrong time to get in at the right time ! Unless you shell out for something like a direct port aquamist system which is very pricey !

The yanks seriously need to put the pipe down when quoting gains of WMI, in the real world its more of a skecthy bandaid way of controlling det and when it works it needs serious safety systems to be used all the time. I don't know where you got your info Dan but Methanol is a seriously corrosive thing to your engine...and it dry's more that lubricates.

With the existence of E85 WMI is a mute point, don't even go there.
Dan [GTI] and amtrapid like this.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLeggy View Post
With the existence of E85 WMI is a mute point, don't even go there.
FLEX FUEL tuning especially; 98 for Monday - Friday and E85 for fun.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:41 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLeggy View Post
As others have pointed out(in detail lol) the issue with the top mount isn't just cooling airflow...its actually restrictive at well below 400whp, ie lots of pressure drop, something a good size front mount solves

Are we talking the factory top mount, or even bigger (eg: Process West) top mounts?
Old 11-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Sir AntiLag

GTLeggy at standard level

Same - Similar

Look at the size of the core tmic to fmic...
amtrapid likes this.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

I think the simplest issue has been overlooked: at high speed the fan and associated ducting or whatever is going to hinder the air getting past the intercooler and you'll get less airflow, reducing its performance.

Or, if somehow you get a fan in there powerful enough to draw more air than would naturally pass through at high speed, it will need a fuck tonne of power to do so. Means larger draw on your alternator and larger load on the engine. So any minute gains would likely be countered by the alternator.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:24 AM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

I'm going to disagree (and possibly be proven right or wrong) but I am retaining my process west TMIC, putting a gtx3076r on and flex fuel.

I am expecting to make 400 especially on E85 seeing as it is only another 45 hp away from the current set up of 98 + TD05-18g.

I agree with the heat soak blah blah etc but I watched the IAT at racewars sitting in the queue and as soon as we had fwd motion it was a non issue.

Do you want 400hp in daily traffic? sure a front mount will make sense, but imo the poofteenths difference at anything below 450hp it will make for a street car / weekend warrior you can choose.

Actual race car etc different story but we are talking about road cars here

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 12-02-2016, 10:53 AM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

I like the idea to be honest, on a near 40 degree day sitting at traffic lights the amount of heat soak will be more than you think, and if you have ever ridden a bike in this temp you will know that you need to be above 65kph to feel any form of cooling (my Ducati Diavel is 100% proof of this) now given that if you give it the beans then 1st gear will be near on shooting flames out of the turbo that are not being cooled at all....

one could argue that there would be a restriction by the fan behind the top mount but how much difference is there to the restrictions behind a front mount (air con and radiator and maybe even a thermo fan) so it might not be a lot...

I think it would make a big difference on very hot days, and i can't see it hurting anything....

Give it a go, worse comes to worse you will be starting 2nd gear with a heat advantage in the cooler, but i would guess by the time you break 120+kph it would be no benefit at all

EDIT: before anyone jumps up me about the 65kph before cooling thing i stand by this, the air is so thin on 40+ days that the car is relying on thermo's to manage the heat (assuming its a still day) on days like this i ride with an open (ish) helmet and i can ride with no real wind in my face or eyes watering up to this speed no problem, infact my face doesn't start cooling until well past this point...

Look up WA Trackdays on Facebook

Last edited by fatboy; 12-02-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:10 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Sneakynuts at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
(my Ducati Diavel is 100% proof of this)

Pfffttttt I have just picked my 1299 back up from Frazers as it decided to dump most of it's coolant on the ground on Tuesday!

The heat from them is unbelievable!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:11 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Sneakynuts at standard level

And to also point out if you open your visor when it's 40 degrees it is like opening the oven door with your face 10cm away when the oven is at 200 degrees! will be the same affect on the intercooler and rad!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:53 AM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary View Post
I'm going to disagree (and possibly be proven right or wrong) but I am retaining my process west TMIC, putting a gtx3076r on and flex fuel.

I am expecting to make 400 especially on E85 seeing as it is only another 45 hp away from the current set up of 98 + TD05-18g.

I agree with the heat soak blah blah etc but I watched the IAT at racewars sitting in the queue and as soon as we had fwd motion it was a non issue.

Do you want 400hp in daily traffic? sure a front mount will make sense, but imo the poofteenths difference at anything below 450hp it will make for a street car / weekend warrior you can choose.

Actual race car etc different story but we are talking about road cars here
Agree 1000% for a street car but I dont think he had the intention of running E85 . E85 Is a god sent for Subarus and their Intake temps and det. Im keeping my water to air for this reason the 400 bucks ive spent on modifying its capacity and running e85 on the new engine combo is easy 400 hp safely . And for rally sprint That all I intend to have to shit my pants with . I think you will piss 400 in with your combo Scary .

I think the OPs best option is to look at flex fuel or 2 map setup with E85 for 400 hp and a milder tune on 98 for daily duties . The patrol in my link in the previous novel I wrote had an Aquamist methanol Injection system on it Dan .
It cost over 2500 to set up with 45 L tank of methanol to 120L of Diesel its not cost effective and also . Methanol voids your road cars insurance and is illegal for road use due to the fact of Ricky Bobby type Invisible fire if you have an accident lol
Dan [GTI] and QRSTUVWRX like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to amtrapid For This Useful Post:
Dan [GTI] (12-02-2016)

Tags
draw, fan, thermo, tmic