Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the input... so after taking into account everyone's opinions and the guy who I bought the engine from, I believe the next logical step would be:

1. Bigger Injectors
2. Rear LSD ( highly recommended by the guy I bought the engine from )
3. VF34 ( again the guy reckons this will keep boost a fair bit after the 35 without sacrificing spool time the 35 had )

Many of you recommend Dom 1.5 XTR but I'm just worried about the lag like the Garrett I had before?

What I'm curious about wanted to know everyone's thoughts are:
1. How beneficial is LSD for street driving?
2. Is it true that VF34 will keep boost longer without sacrificing early spool time like the 35?
3. Will I be able to run higher boost on the 34 than the 35?
4. Will I see higher figure Hp atw on dyno?

Again thanks guys for all the input, hope to hear your thoughts soon
Old 16-08-2017, 10:08 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Swapping a vf35 out for a vf34 sounds like a whole bunch of dick-arsing about for not a whole lot of benifit. Its a stock standard OEM turbo from a decade and a half ago...

As others have said, the dom 1.5 would be decent turbo on the car. Its sized and designed specifically with the 2L EJ engines in mind. From what i know, its compressor is similar size/design to a 3071, but CNCd billet alloy construction and superior aero. But the turbine is smaller than that of a 3071. Its got Garrett ball bearing CHRA. And packaged in a bolt on stock location set of housings.

The Doms spool pretty damn fast considering the power they can make up top. Much much more than any VF, without sacrificing too much in the onset. I had a dom2.5 on my ej25 and it spooled faster than a blouch billet wheel td05-18g-xt. There are plenty of cars getting up around 300kw/400whp with dom 1.5s.

I dont think you would be dissapointed with one, but you probably would after another VF.

As for the LSD, on a street car, it realistically wont make a massive difference. Its nice to have, but there is only so much you can do on a public road. You would definitely notice and appreciate the higher power from a larger turbo on a street car. As atleast you can give it shit on the freeway onramps and out of traffic lights etc.

And dont get so hung up on spool/boost threshold. 500 rpms or whatever is like a fraction of a second. And your car is equipped with a gearbox. If you want the faster power onset from cruising RPMs, kick it down a gear and the engine will be in the turbos sweet spot and ready to start producing power. If you sit there lugging a 2L 4cyl engine at 2k rpm, then of corse its gonna take a while to get a decent sized turbo moving. Instead of whinging about slow spool, drop a gear and increase the RPMs and get moving faster.
TROLLEY likes this.

Last edited by Bram; 16-08-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 17-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Scoobie Noobie

sean at standard level

Found this stock location turbo comparison a few months back.
Blouch for the win!
http://preracing.com/stock-location-turbo-showdown/

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
AJAYJAY likes this.
Old 17-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Thanks guys for the input again.

@Bram, yes you've opened my eyes mate... a little bit of sacrifice in spool time is minimal compare to the power gain I will have and the fact that it will pull a lot longer than the VF35 or 34.

@Sean, thanks heaps mate, that article was really2 helpful and convinces me more to check out the 1.5XTR.

Can I just check is this what you guys are talking about?
Blouch RBK Dominator 1.5XTR 7cm Rear housing Subaru WRX 94-14/STI 94-17/Forester 97-13/Liberty 04-09

The only difference is it is a 7cm rear housing as oppose to the 8cm housing tested in that article, but would I be safe in assuming that it is quite identical?

And correct me if I'm wrong but according to the dyno graph on the article for the 1.5XTR with 8cm housing, boost starts to kick at 3500rpm and peaks at 5500rpm? If yes I'm quite happy with that because it's only about 500-600 rpm later than the VF35 but I will gain much more up top.

Also another question if I go with the DOM 1.5XTR, obviously bigger injectors is a must and I will be doing it anyway as what has been discussed on this thread, but does this mean I would need a bigger fuel pump, upgraded fuel rail etc? and will the new engine hold up this kind of power? FYI in the beginning of this thread I mention the engine is EJ207 (Brand New) with Version 6 STI Heads (reconditioned)?

Justin from BYE who tuned the car reckons with bigger turbo I would want to think about Top Side instead of Side Feed Injectors, bigger fuel rails etc.

Thanks again guys
Old 17-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input again

@Bram, thanks mate you've opened my eyes that the spool time difference is minimal in comparison to the overall power.

@Sean, thanks mate for the article, really2 useful

I am now giving serious thoughts into the DOM1.5XTR, can I just check with you guys that below link is the right turbo we're talking about?
Blouch RBK Dominator 1.5XTR 7cm Rear housing Subaru WRX 94-14/STI 94-17/Forester 97-13/Liberty 04-09

The only difference I can see between the link above and the article from Sean is the 7cm and 8 cm housing, would I be correct in assuming that it will be identical?

Sorry for the noob question, not overly smart in reading dyno but according to the article the Dom1.5 XTR with 8cm housing starts spool at 3500 rpm and peaks at 5500 rpm, would this reading be correct? If yes I'm quite happy with that as it's not far off from the VF35 in spool time.

Couple of questions if I go down this path:

1. Will my engine be able to handle that power? it is EJ207 Brand New with Version 6 STI heads fully reconditioned.
2. Will I need Bigger Fuel Pump? (currently have Walbro 255)
3. Will I need upgraded fuel rail?

Thanks again guys
Old 17-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Sir AntiLag

VUSSUTE at standard level

Im telling you. Go the Dom 1.5 mine starts boosting at 3400rpm and hits hard at 4000 and doesnt stop pulling.

I have kept up with 600cc sport bikes.

You dont really notice any extra lag over the vf28. It revs so quick the 800rpm difference isnt even noticeable

I would go the 7cm on a stock engine

Not fast enough dammit!

Last edited by VUSSUTE; 17-08-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 17-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the input, you've really got me thinking now. The article was definitely useful.

So couple of questions:

1. Will my engine be able to hold reliably and safely the Dom 1.5XTR? In case you're wondering the current engine is brand new EJ207 bottom end and fully reconditioned Version 6 STI Heads as mention on the beginning of this thread

2. Will I need bigger Fuel Pump? Currently have Walbro 255

3. Will I need upgraded Fuel Rail? Stock one ATM

I understand bigger injectors definitely.

Thanks again guys
Old 17-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

@Vussute, can you tell me what year wrx yours is with the Dom 1.5? And other supporting mods? Just curious if I can get the same spool etc if you say it kicks in at 3400rpm.

Better yet if you're SOR would you mind taking me for a spin on your car before I make a decision?

Thanks bud
Old 17-08-2017, 11:10 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Take me for a spin too, sounds like loads of fun!!!!!!!!
Old 18-08-2017, 02:58 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rslib72 at standard level

are we still talking about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
Take me for a spin too, sounds like loads of fun!!!!!!!!

Tags
build, engine