Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-07-2017, 02:28 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

DZENCI at standard level

+1 for Justin.
Justin knows his shit, you'll be stoked when you drive away with his tune.
Wouldn't bother going anywhere else when it comes to links/vipecs
dazdavies likes this.
Old 14-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Engine build anyone but ASG

Tuning wise I would only recommend Justin from BYE.
He did both a 98 and E85 tune on mine. 500+hp on 98 and 600+hp on E85 and still going strong a year, 15000 miles, and several 10 second drag runs later.

There is no better testament to someone's tuning than that.
DZENCI likes this.
Old 14-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben628 View Post
Hi Guys,

hope everyone is well

rather than creating a new thread, I though I'd just resurrect this one coz it's not that old and it's pretty much the same topic.

So I'm ready for the next step which is engine build as mention on the introduction of the thread, I've got the funds ready etc.

At first I was thinking of doing in the next few months towards the end of the year kinda thing but I've come across someone who wants to sell a full complete assembled engine ready to go.

I know him from the person who I bought my turbo from and I will be meeting him on Saturday to have a look at the engine and discuss things but thought before that wouldn't hurt to ask for a second opinions

So the specs as he mention are:

Complete EJ207 not yet run brand new short motor, Full reconditioned V6 STI heads, full sets of OE gaskets inc STI Multi-Layered Head Gaskets, inc new OE 11mm Oil Pump, New OE Water Pump, New Complete OE Timing Belt Kit inc all tensioners, ARP Head Stud

Asking price is $5500 and he said he has a guy that does all his engine works, very knowledgeable about Subaru and is happy to do the installation for $1100.

He said it's all ready to go and will bolt into everything I have done so far.

What I'm wanting to know or concern about is:

1. ASG did my Tune but Sean is no longer there so I can't get a retune after the new engine is dropped in, ASG and most people recommended Lane from Race Torque but I called Race Torque and spoke to Ashley and he said Lane doesn't tune Link G4, only Autronics and Motecs - I just need to be sure the money I'm about to spend can be tuned by a good tuner.... as everyone says the car only runs as good as a tuning that's done by the tuner.

2. Do you think the engine is a good price? what are my options if I go for something else? I know a lot of you mention to get the engine build here instead of going eastern states and a lot of you recommended The Engine Shop, I tried calling 2 times and no one seems to pick up every time.

3. The other concern is warranty and tax invoice, I need proof that all this work has been done should I ever sell the car in the future.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks again for your help
$5500 for a complete 207 plus gaskets etc is a decent price if all the work is legit. $1100 for install is also fair in my opinion if they include fluids etc.

For tuning as well as the above mentioned Jamie at Tokyo Motorsports can supply/install/tune Link and plenty of other ecu's.

Good luck & keep us posted with your results.
Old 15-07-2017, 02:14 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Thanks guys for all the inputs.

Will go and see the engine tomorrow, if all goes well will go ahead with the engine and yes will get Justin @ BYEto do the final tuning.

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks again for all your help and advice
AJAYJAY likes this.
Old 18-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Hi Guys,

Hope you're all well

Just an update, I am going ahead with the engine build. I went to have a look on Saturday and was definitely impressed with it.

The guy is definitely very knowledgeable about Subaru and GC8 in particular, everything was like he said Brand New and the heads are a Version 6 STI fully reconditioned so I think it's definitely a good buy for the money comparing to what's on offer out there.

Everything has been organised and once done, the car will be towed to Justin for Tune.

So excited and can't wait

I thought I would slap a new oil cooler at the same time being a new engine and all, would you guys know where I can source one out locally at a good price?

also the guys who I bought the engine from reckons it might be worth while replacing my GD STI TMIC at the same time and go Process West because they are better especially on a hot summer day with the aircon ON.... Any thoughts on this guys? I know it's another $1000 to spend but at the same time I've come this far and don't wanna sort of put everything in place, tune and find that Process West is the way to go and end up spending more on labour and re-tune.... Are there any big difference to be gain from going the STI TMIC to the Process West TMIC?

Another question I needed to know as well is, I'm looking for a quieter exhaust that doesn't restrict performance, I know it's sort of wishful thinking but only because of the neighbours in my area, so if I change muffler later on down the track, would this mess up the tune again? any suggestions on brands I should look at?

Thanks again guys for all your help and advice
nick73 likes this.
Old 18-07-2017, 04:56 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

If you wanting more intercooler but not sure you want to spend $1k on a PW TMIC, you could look a getting a FMIC. I think you can get a complete HDI GTspec2 FMIC kit including pipework for about $650 or something. More intercoller for less moneys. But more hassles aswell. And way more pipework aswell. If you want to wind up the turbo this will be better than a top mount.

http://www.hybrid-power.com/_p/prd1/...subaru-wrx-gc8

Last edited by Bram; 18-07-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 18-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

wrx oh oh at standard level

Intercooler- ProcessWest are good, it is a bit bigger than the STI one.
Think carefully before going to FMIC as it changes the character of the car.
Quiet exhaust- The Varex is well spoken of on this forum. It gives a power loud
setting and a quiet setting. General opinion is that you need to tune after any exhaust change.
Old 18-07-2017, 11:04 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Hybrid/HDI GT Spec 2 FMIC kit is very very good and excellent value for money.

Given temps and heat soak over there I'd advocate going FMIC everytime.

You'll notice a slight drop in throttle response but not much and the gains up top far outweigh that.

Had I not bought my car with the process West PMIC kit on mine it would have had the Hybrid/HDI Kit on.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Hi guys,

Hope you're all well...

I'm just confused and in need of help please....

So as I mention before I went ahead with the engine build.... did everything properly including getting a few new things while they're at it:

New NGK leads
New Spark Plugs (Iridium Laser)
New Mishimoto Performance Aluminium Radiator
New Genuine Subaru Oil Cooler
New Timing Belt Guide
I decided to swap the Turbo with VF35 as I find the GT3071R a bit laggy

Put everything on and they took it for a drive and said it went really good, then comes the time for tuning, took it to Justin at BYE as suggested by everyone.

Now Justin is saying that the car misfires when driving under normal condition, when it's revved up 4,000 and over it's fine... they said one of the cylinder is not firing properly and reckon it could be either injectors, coil pack or leads.

They are getting the injectors flow tested tomorrow as they suspect that is the culprit.

What do you guys reckon? I just don't understand how it was fine before when ASG had it tuned with the old engine and when they tested the car fine after the engine swap.

The engine is EJ207 brand new with reconditioned Version 6 STI heads.
The injectors is JECS 1,000cc bought from EBay as advised by ASG that it's fine... it was only a month old.

Where did I go wrong guys?

The other thing is Justin said it was tuned at 248hp atw which I thought was a bit low and not what I expected... what do you guys reckon with this too?

Thanks guys, hope to hear from you soon
Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben628 View Post
Where did I go wrong guys?
Choosing a VF35...

Tags
build, engine