Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 12:11 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Silent at standard level
Default Possible water leak

Hey

Having just got my car serviced after 1 day i noticed my reserve tank for my radiator tank is empty (not a good sign after a service) either he forgot to put water in the reserve tank, didnt put enough in the radiator or i got a water leak.

So i check the top tank, it doesnt seem to be leaking water anywhere, And the hoses look good. Well all this was done in the service anyway but im double checking. Im assuming their would be no need to check the bottom tank seing as cold water runs through there. SO in the end i just refilled the reserve tank with coolant.

Now today i checked it again. Seems to using abit to much out of the reserve tank. After 1 full day the water being taken out of the reserve tank was noticable. It didnt drain it or anything it was just noticable.

Im thinking about calling my mechanic (and no this mechanic i trust but he seems he made abit of a mistake this time ) Just wondering if theres anything else i have to check in regards to a water leak.

Cheers
Old 17-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Probably just your heater tank filling itself up, just a lousy design, that's if the radiator was drained, pull the hose behind the radiator cap off- the one that goes to the radiator & suck till you get coolant (keeping the header tank full) that should get rid of any air in the system............it tastes like shit so go slowly.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Last edited by Pimpreza; 17-01-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 17-01-2008, 01:14 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Silent at standard level

suck? crap fuck that haha... umm i think it'll be alright i'l just leave it. if its just my heater tank filing it self up that will be alright then. In the service they obvoiusly drain it up (100 000 k major service).

If this issue persist i'll have to get it checked up. But thanks for the help mate much appreciated

Last edited by Silent; 17-01-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 17-01-2008, 07:59 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

gtrken at standard level

If it had a 100,000km service they will have replaced the timing belt and radiator coolant, among other things.
Would suggest it hasn't quite been bled properly and still has some air trapped in the system.
You could keep an eye on it and top the header tank up as the air slowly bleeds out or take it back to the mechanic.

Personally I would get the air out quickly and get the coolant in. The next few days are going to be very hot.

Cheers
Ken
Old 17-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Flat Four Father

Just keep your tonge over the hole & block it the second you feel fluid, it gets more difficult as the water comes to the top but it's about the best way to get the air out, only take a minute & may save you from overheating.
Old 21-01-2008, 06:11 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

superman at standard level

don't listen to this pin heads like Pimpreza.. my quess he has no idea about cars .. just like taking the piss out of people..
it seem like your mechanic did not bleed the cooling system the right way and if you have no leaks then it will take water out of your over flow bottle until or the air is out... best way to bleed it is to turn your heater taps on take the cap off and have the engine running at 2000 rpm until your themo fans kick in..
if you still have the problem after topping the over flow bottle a couple times.. i would be getting the mechanic to pressure test your cooling system to see if their are any leaks before you start doing some damage. i hope that help..
Old 21-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

My overflow bottle doesn't have much in it .. It's just important to have *some* coolant in there, with the hose going straight into it, so the water can overflow if necessary, and be sucked back in when required.

This obviously prevents air getting into the system also.
Old 22-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Flat Four Father

Hey Superman you were a Nissan mechanic for 10 yrs where "ALL THE POWER IS" So WTF are you doing with a piss weak WRX, shouldn't you be out there "tunning" your Nissan with your lap top.

BTW, it was a Subaru mechanic who told me how to get the air out so take it up with Steve at MMS, I just tried to help the guy.

P.S. Try using spell check, you won't look half as much of a............

Last edited by Pimpreza; 22-01-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 23-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Scoobie Noobie

joshg123 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman
don't listen to this pin heads like Pimpreza.. my quess he has no idea about cars .. just like taking the piss out of people..
it seem like your mechanic did not bleed the cooling system the right way and if you have no leaks then it will take water out of your over flow bottle until or the air is out... best way to bleed it is to turn your heater taps on take the cap off and have the engine running at 2000 rpm until your themo fans kick in..
if you still have the problem after topping the over flow bottle a couple times.. i would be getting the mechanic to pressure test your cooling system to see if their are any leaks before you start doing some damage. i hope that help..
This will only work if the radiator cap is the highest point in the cooling system, sometimes it isn't.

Doing an EJ timing belt would require taking the radiator out correct? If so its prob just some air in the system that hasn't been expelled. And now that it has, it took the water in your overflow to take its place.

If your still loosing water in a week, put your cap on with one little turn, dont put it on all the way. This will reduce pressure untill you can book it into the mechanics. Just make sure you have a good anti-boil as lowering pressure in the system also lowers the boiling point of the coolant.
Old 23-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Banned

Mat at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshg123
Doing an EJ timing belt would require taking the radiator out correct? If so its prob just some air in the system that hasn't been expelled. And now that it has, it took the water in your overflow to take its place.
Apparently not!

RMS for one (they did mine) told me its impossible to do a timing belt without removing the belt but then about 20K kms later one of my cam or crank seals started leaking (out of the 5, 3 were genuine items, 2 werent- All to save a few dollars when changing the timing belt).

Jim Hall easily fixed them without removing anything and reckons you dont need to drop the coolant etc when changing timing belt!

Last edited by Mat; 23-01-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Tags
leak, water